Anyone got any info on, or seen JOHN CARTER play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
JOHN CARTER... (Brewster Bulldogs, EMPIRE JUNIOR B):

"John Carter -- Never mind rising -- how about the fact that he's even on the list? Who is he and where did he come from? No matter what level of competition he's playing against, great size, soft hands, puck skills, and vision will always get you noticed eventually."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hock...-woodlief_x.htm

"African-American John Carter, a New York suburban high school player who was off the radar, has created a bit of a stir a couple of months before the draft. He's a 6-4 center who used to play in the Detroit Compuware organization, and didn't play at all last season. He went to the Hockey Night in Boston game and scouts came away believing he could land in the first three rounds. He's an excellent skater."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?sl...today&type=lgns

5HOLE

May 30, 2002
USA
I have watched John Carter over the past couple years. Carter was always a top player in the Honeybaked organization, and he garnered a spot in the select 15 festival and the US NTDP tryout camp. After being cut from the US NTDP, he kinda disappeared from the hockey map, playing in Tecumseh (ONT jr b) for a short stint, and then not playing at all last year. Hadnt heard anything on him since this article, but like the Redline report says, has soft hands, good size, and good hockey sense/vision. He was always considered a good Division 1 power forward prospect, but its nice to see that even with all that time off, he may be a potential pro prospect.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Thanks for the response,

I'm getting a 'Vladimir Guerrero' vibe from what little there is to read about John. Someone who can turn it on after a year off makes for an intriguing storyline. It's that kind of natural talent that, if harnessed, could turn people on to the beautiful sport of hockey, and electrify those who already follow the sport.

Does anyone know if there's a chance he could be drafted this year? What round? The organization that chooses him would be taking a big risk, sure, but madness and genius go hand in hand.

If there's anyone out there who can shed some light on John Carter, your posts would be much appreciated.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
katodelder said:
Thanks for the response,

I'm getting a 'Vladimir Guerrero' vibe from what little there is to read about John. Someone who can turn it on after a year off makes for an intriguing storyline. It's that kind of natural talent that, if harnessed, could turn people on to the beautiful sport of hockey, and electrify those who already follow the sport.

Does anyone know if there's a chance he could be drafted this year? What round? The organization that chooses him would be taking a big risk, sure, but madness and genius go hand in hand.

If there's anyone out there who can shed some light on John Carter, your posts would be much appreciated.

It's the Empire Jr. B League though. I played at that level when I was 16 and managed about a point a game, it's a decent league but it's no hot bed for professional talent, or even division 1. I suppose size gets you that second look though... and then a third fourth and fifth.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Since I started another thread on this guy I check around with some of my contacts in Ontario and found out that he indeed was considered a great prospect in his OHL draft year. One OHL scout I talked to said he thought Carter was raw and needed some coaching but based on his combination of size, speed and skills, was the "best pro prospect" (his words) he saw all of that year in minor hockey (which would have excluded guys like Schremp, McGrath and Wolski). Apparently the kid was going college all the way, but Ottawa took a flyer on him in the mid-rounds.

I was told that the kid had some family/divorce issues in Detroit so he took a year off hockey and moved to New York to live with some other relatives. A google search indicates to me that he played Jr. B and High School hockey this past season.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Juan said:
Since I started another thread on this guy I check around with some of my contacts in Ontario and found out that he indeed was considered a great prospect in his OHL draft year. One OHL scout I talked to said he thought Carter was raw and needed some coaching but based on his combination of size, speed and skills, was the "best pro prospect" (his words) he saw all of that year in minor hockey (which would have excluded guys like Schremp, McGrath and Wolski). Apparently the kid was going college all the way, but Ottawa took a flyer on him in the mid-rounds.

I was told that the kid had some family/divorce issues in Detroit so he took a year off hockey and moved to New York to live with some other relatives. A google search indicates to me that he played Jr. B and High School hockey this past season.

Very interesting.

There's a few ways Carter himself could look at this situation.

1) He opts into the draft and takes a flyer to see where he'd go. With all this hype being generated over the past few weeks, it sounds like someone will take a flyer on him somewhere.

2) He opts out of the draft, tries to get himself in with the 67's for next year and if he plays well, with his size and his supposed skill level, he could work himself into the first round easily. However, if he gets himself in with the 67's and really struggles, then It's not likely anyone would take a flyer on him...because he's a year older then most, a team could draft a similar raw powerforward, thats a year younger. However the 2005 draft is supposed to be much better then 2004.

Hmm, I really don't know which route I'd take. I'd lean towards option 2 though.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
Very interesting.

There's a few ways Carter himself could look at this situation.

1) He opts into the draft and takes a flyer to see where he'd go. With all this hype being generated over the past few weeks, it sounds like someone will take a flyer on him somewhere.

2) He opts out of the draft, tries to get himself in with the 67's for next year and if he plays well, with his size and his supposed skill level, he could work himself into the first round easily. However, if he gets himself in with the 67's and really struggles, then It's not likely anyone would take a flyer on him...because he's a year older then most, a team could draft a similar raw powerforward, thats a year younger. However the 2005 draft is supposed to be much better then 2004.

Hmm, I really don't know which route I'd take. I'd lean towards option 2 though.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was told his parents are both PhD's and he has two brothers who are both lawyers. So I suspect it's college all the way for this kid, no matter how good a hockey player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->