Anyone else worried about Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I'm extremely worried about Florida, but I know it's just my Leafs fan reflex combined with PTSD that still persists from the game that shall not be named.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Funny how we go from worrying about Boston and 2 losses later we are worrying about Florida
I'm worried about Columbus.

I've already assumed that Florida will pass us in the standings... I just want to stay ahead of Columbus for the last wildcard spot.

Big games tonight... Avs vs. B.Jackets ... and Panthers vs. Canadians.

Regulation losses would really hurt their chances of catching us... but wins tonight for both teams brings us yet another step closer to the improbable.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I've already assumed that Florida will pass us in the standings... I just want to stay ahead of Columbus for the last wildcard spot.

Regulation losses would really hurt their chances of catching us... but wins tonight for both teams brings us yet another step closer to the improbable.

This thread's starting to get hilarious.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

This is hilarious, man, come on. The only teams I am concerned about are TB and Boston. That's it. It's just as unlikely that we'll catch them as Florida will catch us.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Unfortunately it's a byproduct of the disaster of this franchise that we've seen for the decade prior to the Shanny era.

Columbus has 12 points to make up just to TIE the Leafs in the standings and only have 1 game in hand.

Florida has a legit little scare because they've got 4 games in hand. But even if they win all 4 of those, there are still 6 points against the Leafs with one head-to-head matchup remaining. And so Florida has to win that game in regulation to get within 4 points of the Leafs. And in order to tie the Leafs they would need to win two more games with the Leafs losing 2 in regulation. So assuming they'll pass the Leafs is a bit of a stretch.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
That 20 point lead is down to 14 after the Panther’s point tonight against the Lightening.

Hmmm-4 games in hand; have you looked closer? 3 home games against Montreal, Ottawa and Rangers coming up this week.

Luongo back and playing out of this world........ Anderson not holding us together like he has all season?

And our Leafs! Did you see how tightly they were holding their sticks against Buffalo as the game progressed, self-fulfilling choke to come? Did you see the prolonged ineptitude in our own zone at times; the “deer in the headlights” frozen reactions?

Sorry, it’s hard to kick a 50 year habit of failure. Remember that incredible choke a few years back in the playoffs with Boston, that third period?

What do you think?

No, the Leafs need probably 5 wins to clinch a playoff spot and we play plenty of bottom feeders

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Florida is 14 points behind us with 4 games in hand. Let's assume they win tonight against a bad Canadians team... now they're 12 points back with 3 games in hand.

They win all 3 games in hand, they're only 6 points back with 14 games left to play. Even if they only got 4 out of the 6 points, they'd still be 8 points back with 14 games to play.

We just lost 4 in a row and we look like garbage... and Florida is playing great and beat a bunch of really good teams recently, and now have a very soft schedule to finish out the year. Plus they have a game against us where they can for sure gain 2 points with a regulation win.

I expect us to continue to lose ground to Florida until either Matthews comes back or Babcock gets Hyman away from our skilled players.

I'm more just focused on the Blue Jackets losing because it's going to be tougher for them to catch us. Their schedule isn't too tough either... but it's more difficult than the Panther's.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Florida is 14 points behind us with 4 games in hand. Let's assume they win tonight against a bad Canadians team... now they're 12 points back with 3 games in hand.

They win all 3 games in hand, they're only 6 points back with 14 games left to play. Even if they only got 4 out of the 6 points, they'd still be 8 points back with 14 games to play.

We just lost 4 in a row and we look like garbage... and Florida is playing great and beat a bunch of really good teams recently, and now have a very soft schedule to finish out the year. Plus they have a game against us where they can for sure gain 2 points with a regulation win.

I expect us to continue to lose ground to Florida until either Matthews comes back or Babcock gets Hyman away from our skilled players.

I'm more just focused on the Blue Jackets losing because it's going to be tougher for them to catch us. Their schedule isn't too tough either... but it's more difficult than the Panther's.

This is so many flavours of hilarious.

14 pts behind with 4 games in hand, OMG it's PANIC CITY!!!!

"We look like garbage" - good point, brilliant analysis. :laugh::laugh:

You assume FLA beats MTL, sure why not? And expect us to continue to lose ground to Florida - why of course you do, why would you expect anything different? :laugh::laugh:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Yeah Leafs have lost two games in a row in regulation but the previous two were in overtime/shootout so they still have 2 points from that. I think for the Panthers to overtake the Leafs you'd have to expect the Leafs to lose quite a lot of regulation games and barely any overtime or shootout losses which doesn't seem too likely. Matthews looks to be coming back maybe next week and maybe he plays in Dallas, Buffalo or Montreal. There is another 10 games after that when we'll be at full force with Matthews.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Worth noting that Florida plays Boston 4 times as part of their remaining schedule. Sure their schedule overall might be easier but those 4 games against Boston won't be easy and have immediate divisional ramifications.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Worth noting that Florida plays Boston 4 times as part of their remaining schedule. Sure their schedule overall might be easier but those 4 games against Boston won't be easy and have immediate divisional ramifications.
Might actually be doing us a favor if Florida wins all those games and lets us get closer to Boston.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Seems like some people are forgetting just how good this team has been for the better part of the season. Losing 10-14 games in a row? Come on now lol

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
they just won like 13 of 16 games and they're still nowhere near us. We're on pace for 102 points, they're on pace for 90
I agree ....it just goes to show u without Mathews and a mediocre Anderson we are really a wild card team ,before we start throwing around 35 million dollar deals .lets see where this club ends up

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If it wasn't for one of their games being postponed due to bad weather in Boston they would have played them once already and have three games left against them. Remember how they play them on April 8th which is the make up game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Seems like some people are forgetting just how good this team has been for the better part of the season. Losing 10-14 games in a row? Come on now lol

But wait, haven't you heard that there's two HUGE games coming up and if they don't go our way, things will get even more tense than they already are. No we're not playing, FLA I think it is and some other team. FLA has 4 games in hand and we should assume they're gonna win them all. When was the last time they won 4 in a row you ask? Um, I have no idea, I'm sure they've done it before, maybe not this season but I'm sure it's happened sometime and I'm sure it's going to happen now, everyone's talking about it after all. And then if after winning they win another 5 in a row while we lose our next 5 in regulation, then we'd already be 4 points behind them in the standings and man that's a big gap to make up with so little time left. Seriously, if we're 4 points behind FLA with 9 games to play, I don't like our chances at all, do you? Well do you?

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
But wait, haven't you heard that there's two HUGE games coming up and if they don't go our way, things will get even more tense than they already are. No we're not playing, FLA I think it is and some other team. FLA has 4 games in hand and we should assume they're gonna win them all. When was the last time they won 4 in a row you ask? Um, I have no idea, I'm sure they've done it before, maybe not this season but I'm sure it's happened sometime and I'm sure it's going to happen now, everyone's talking about it after all. And then if after winning they win another 5 in a row while we lose our next 5 in regulation, then we'd already be 4 points behind them in the standings and man that's a big gap to make up with so little time left. Seriously, if we're 4 points behind FLA with 9 games to play, I don't like our chances at all, do you? Well do you?

Ha so true! I looked it up because you made me curious. Unless I counted wrong Florida's longest streak of the season has been 6 games. They also had a 4 game win streak in there twice I believe. Sure doesn't seem like a team who's about to run the table over the last 18 games. Man I hope Montreal wins tonight to slow down some of this nonsense.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I hope the gap closes to the point where the Leafs actually have to play with something on the line.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That 20 point lead is down to 14 after the Panther’s point tonight against the Lightening.

Hmmm-4 games in hand; have you looked closer? 3 home games against Montreal, Ottawa and Rangers coming up this week.

Luongo back and playing out of this world........ Anderson not holding us together like he has all season?

And our Leafs! Did you see how tightly they were holding their sticks against Buffalo as the game progressed, self-fulfilling choke to come? Did you see the prolonged ineptitude in our own zone at times; the “deer in the headlights” frozen reactions?

Sorry, it’s hard to kick a 50 year habit of failure. Remember that incredible choke a few years back in the playoffs with Boston, that third period?

What do you think?

I don't know, I think people here have such short memories.

I still remember just a few years ago in the Phaneuf era when we were comfortably in the playoffs in March and went on an epic losing streak to miss the playoffs.

I have confidence that this team won't be like that, but at the same time I have to remain a bit cautious because of how badly we've been burned before.

Reactions: Brown Dog

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The only team we should concern ourselves with is our own, and to a lesser extent, the Boston Bruins.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know, I think people here have such short memories.

I still remember just a few years ago in the Phaneuf era when we were comfortably in the playoffs in March and went on an epic losing streak to miss the playoffs.

I have confidence that this team won't be like that, but at the same time I have to remain a bit cautious because of how badly we've been burned before.
While it's easy to remember bad memories like that, one difference is how both teams looked with the players, coaches and management compared to what we have today.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I looked up what happened in that notorious 2013-2014 season to jog my memory.

On March 16, 2014, the Leafs lost 4-2 to the Capitals. This would be become the start of an 8-game losing streak, and they ended up losing 12 of their final 14 games. This disastrous end to the season not only knocked them out of playoff contention but cratered them all the way to a 23rd place finish, the 8th overall pick, and William Nylander.

On the eve of that losing streak, the Leafs had 74 points through 64 games, good for 4th in the Eastern Conference. They looked poised to take a run at home ice advantage in the first round. At the time they were six points up on the nearest non-playoff team, the Red Wings.

So, on the one hand, that team was closer to the pack than this year’s group. The six-point cushion of the 2014 team was much more easily overcome than the 15-point cushion of the 2018 edition. Especially as the Red Wings also had games in hand.

On the other hand, I doubt many Leaf fans saw that crash coming either. Keep in mind the skid happened coming off what had been a rare successful California road trip, where they went 2-1 with big wins over the Kings and Ducks. This was also the team that had made the playoffs the year before and was looking to avenge their spectacular Game 7 collapse against Boston.

So while a collapse is unlikely, I can’t completely rule it out with my mind with the wound of that 2014 season finish still relatively fresh. I also think back to last year’s finish and all the things that had to go wrong in the final 4 games of the season for us to fall out. Almost all of them happened! All we needed was one win in our final 4 games or for NYI/TB to not run the table. As unlikely as it was, if it hadn’t been for that 3rd period comeback win against Pittsburgh on the last weekend of the year, we would’ve missed. So, yeah, I find it hard to feel solid until things are for sure.

Reactions: stuart5035

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So while a collapse is unlikely, I can’t completely rule it out with my mind with the wound of that 2014 season finish still relatively fresh. I also think back to last year’s finish and all the things that had to go wrong in the final 4 games of the season for us to fall out. Almost all of them happened! All we needed was one win in our final 4 games or for NYI/TB to not run the table. As unlikely as it was, if it hadn’t been for that 3rd period comeback win against Pittsburgh on the last weekend of the year, we would’ve missed. So, yeah, I find it hard to feel solid until things are for sure.
While the Leafs team last year did control their own destiny and needed just 1 win in their final 4 games to make the playoffs which was harder than we thought it was going to be, don't forget had the Islanders and Lightning lost 1 more game each they would have been eliminated and the Leafs would have got in automatically because of that. Now the unexpected happened where they both ran the table, so thank god for that 3rd period come back against Pittsburgh. Plus if that never happened do the Leafs still blow that 2-0 they had against Columbus during their 82nd game, which cost them a first round series against Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->