Anyone else worried about Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
It's up to Babcock whether or not Florida passes us.

If he keeps rolling lines like Hyman - Nylander - Brown ... we're not going to win many games.

And as soon as Matthews comes back, we'll be back to normal again too.

But I anticipate that we keep losing until we get some line shuffling (Hyman off of scoring lines) or Matthews comes back.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I clearly remember that 10-game losing streak a few years ago at this time of the year. Knocked us right out of contention. I'll never be comfortable again after that. At least not till we've officially clinched.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That 20 point lead is down to 14 after the Panther’s point tonight against the Lightening.

Hmmm-4 games in hand; have you looked closer? 3 home games against Montreal, Ottawa and Rangers coming up this week.

Luongo back and playing out of this world........ Anderson not holding us together like he has all season?

And our Leafs! Did you see how tightly they were holding their sticks against Buffalo as the game progressed, self-fulfilling choke to come? Did you see the prolonged ineptitude in our own zone at times; the “deer in the headlights” frozen reactions?

Sorry, it’s hard to kick a 50 year habit of failure. Remember that incredible choke a few years back in the playoffs with Boston, that third period?

What do you think?

There is some cause for concern. More likely they grab a wildcard spot and less likely the 3rd spot in the East.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Got a tough stretch of games coming up.

vs. PIT - defending champs and rolling
vs. DAL - always a tough out and fighting for playoff lives
@ BUF - in Buffalo, we know how this goes
vs. MON - divisional game vs. rival
@ TB - on road against best team in East
@ NSH - on road against best team in west

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

If he keeps rolling lines like Hyman - Nylander - Brown ... we're not going to win many games.

But I anticipate that we keep losing until we get some line shuffling (Hyman off of scoring lines) or Matthews comes back.

What? The team's chance of making the playoffs is based on Brown, Hyman, and Nylander?

Don't you mean other more important players like Andersen, Rielly, Kadri, Matthews?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

vs. PIT - defending champs and rolling - WIN
vs. DAL - always a tough out and fighting for playoff lives - WIN
@ BUF - in Buffalo, we know how this goes - LOSS
vs. MON - divisional game vs. rival - WIN
@ TB - on road against best team in East - LOSS
@ NSH - on road against best team in west - WIN
My take

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The 14 point cushion the Leafs have over Florida is greater than the gap between us and the Presidents Trophy lead dog at the moment, but that outdoor game and follow up is some cause for concern.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I said I wouldn't be surprised based on past events. I didn't say it was common or something that will happen.
My point is that it must be very rare, and if it were to happen to this team, well, I would be very surprised. But I understand you are joking. Now I'm kind of curious, has any team ever been on a 15 game losing streak?

Your obsession with thinking the line combos is the main reason we win or lose a game is still mind boggling.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

vs. PIT - defending champs and rolling
vs. DAL - always a tough out and fighting for playoff lives
@ BUF - in Buffalo, we know how this goes
vs. MON - divisional game vs. rival
@ TB - on road against best team in East
@ NSH - on road against best team in west
At least twice this season the Leafs defeated Montreal and it was when the Canadiens were a much healthier team.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
At least twice this season the Leafs defeated Montreal and it was when the Canadiens were a much healthier team.

That game looks like the "easiest" of the bunch and should be a W, but I still feel that any game vs. Montreal will be a challenge.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That game looks like the "easiest" of the bunch and should be a W, but I still feel that any game vs. Montreal will be a challenge.
Since they are playing Buffalo again next week and it's the second night of a back to back we know that means Curtis McElhinney will be in net. So I think they will win that one and we know Babcock won't let them have another bad game against them.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Id be more scared if we were playing good hockey and they where catching us. We have been sub par for a couple to many games we will get our mojo back. That lead may see go down to 10 games out or 8 but they wont catch us.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
My point is that it must be very rare, and if it were to happen to this team, well, I would be very surprised. But I understand you are joking. Now I'm kind of curious, has any team ever been on a 15 game losing streak?

Your obsession with thinking the line combos is the main reason we win or lose a game is still mind boggling.

We were looking like we were going to miss the playoffs in January. Then Babcock changed the line combos and we went on a 13-2 streak.

Ya, roster choices and line combos mean nothing. lol.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
We were looking like we were going to miss the playoffs in January. Then Babcock changed the line combos and we went on a 13-2 streak.

Ya, roster choices and line combos mean nothing. lol.
Oh yeah it must have been 100% due to line combos. There are no other factors in there at all.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Id be more scared if we were playing good hockey and they where catching us. We have been sub par for a couple to many games we will get our mojo back. That lead may see go down to 10 games out or 8 but they wont catch us.

Weve been playing pretty good hockey as of late though. The only really bad game was against the Capitals in the outdoor game.

Even if you leave out most of the post all star stretch where we were the best team in hockey and take the extremely small sample size of the last 5 games, all were without our best player who is coming back maybe next game......

Boston: Dominated them most of the game in what was a tight win though.
Tampa: Tampa was at home and had the better of the play but we managed to get a point outta the game.
Florida: Toronto was far the better team but Lou stones us again and we only get a point.
Washington: Worst game in quite a while and the team looked off in the outdoor setting.
Buffalo: Toronto looked the better team except for a stretch in the 2nd but still lost. The worst game for puck luck all year.

1-2-2 stretch in which we were the better team in 3/5 games against a group that includes 3 of the top ten teams in the league along with the hottest team in hockey.

Im not really too worried.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Out of the leafs remaining games 9 are at home and 5 are on the road. At home, the leafs have been godly and are on a 9 game home winning streak. This past 4 game losing streak were all games that were on the road.

Im not to worried

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Weve been playing pretty good hockey as of late though. The only really bad game was against the Capitals in the outdoor game.

Even if you leave out most of the post all star stretch where we were the best team in hockey and take the extremely small sample size of the last 5 games, all were without our best player who is coming back maybe next game......

Tampa: Tampa was at home and had the better of the play but we managed to get a point outta the game.
Florida: Toronto was far the better team but Lou stones us again and we only get a point.
Washington: Worst game in quite a while and the team looked off in the outdoor setting.
Buffalo: Toronto looked the better team except for a stretch in the 2nd but still lost. The worst game for puck luck all year.

1-2-2 stretch in which we were the better team in 3/5 games against a group that includes 3 of the top ten teams in the league along with the hottest team in hockey.

Both loses against the Panthers in Sunrise was in the shootout and overtime. I know their win against them in Toronto was only a 1-0 victory, however I will not complain about that given the final result and hopefully at the end of the month when we play them again they are out of playoff contention.

As for Buffalo you are right on with how the Leafs had no puck luck among all their games so far this season.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Oh yeah it must have been 100% due to line combos. There are no other factors in there at all.
it was basically was 100% due to the line combos and roster choices.

the team was night and day when we moved Marner to the Kadri line and replaced Martin with Kapanen.

everyone basically acknowledges that it was the change in line combos and roster choices that were responsible for our miraculous turnaround after our loss to Colorado on January 22nd.

and this dramatic turnaround was predicted by people like myself. I knew we would start winning with better line combos and roster choices and that's exactly what happened.

but you think it was all just a coincidence and we would have gone on the 13-2 streak even if we didn't make any changes after the Colorado game? do you even watch this team?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

the team was night and day when we moved Marner to the Kadri line and replaced Martin with Kapanen.

everyone basically acknowledges that it was the change in line combos and roster choices that were responsible for our miraculous turnaround after our loss to Colorado on January 22nd.

and this dramatic turnaround was predicted by people like myself. I knew we would start winning with better line combos and roster choices and that's exactly what happened.

but you think it was all just a coincidence and we would have gone on the 13-2 streak even if we didn't make any changes after the Colorado game? do you even watch this team?
I completely disagree with you, the nice record in the past 15 games could easily be due to many other factors.
-Players coming out of slumps, shooting %'s equalizing
-Schedule lightened up, more home games
-Momentum and confidence rising

We were much a playoff team and winning plenty of games through Oct, Nov, Dec with the old line combos. Yes, I watch this team almost every game and I have watched a lot of hockey in my life and I can tell you that a couple lineup changes here and there doesn't turn a team from bad to good. You are either bad or good regardless. We are a good team and were bound to go on a bit of a stretch.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Both loses against the Panthers in Sunrise was in the shootout and overtime. I know their win against them in Toronto was only a 1-0 victory, however I will not complain about that given the final result and hopefully at the end of the month when we play them again they are out of playoff contention.

So far, Luongo has a .977, .968, .949 save % against us in the three games we've played so far this year.

Im hoping they give Reimer a shot against us...

Reactions: Gary Nylund

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So far, Luongo has a .977, .968, .949 save % against us in the three games we've played so far this year.

The next time we play them the Panthers are starting a back to back because they are in Ottawa the next night. So the question is do they play Luongo against us given his numbers so far this season or change things up and go with Reimer? Of course by March 28th the Panthers might have no chance at the playoffs and you would think the Leafs will have clinched their playoff spot, along with a guaranteed position in the Atlantic.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This doesn't fit with the narrative that we should be worried about FLA catching us. I still think it's a good post though. :)

Yes, I'm sure that adding Dermott to the lineup had zero impact.

:thumbu::thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->