Anyone else worried about Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We're 6th overall with a PTS% of .625
FLA is 18th overall with a PTS% of .555

WTF is this thread? Get a grip people. We're playing PIT Saturday night, it should be a great game, back away from the cliff, find a TV and enjoy it for crissakes.

I posted this last Wednesday, a few games have been played since then so perhaps an update is appropriate. As of today:

We're 6TH overall with a PTS% of .630
FLA is 19TH overall with a PTS% of .560

I hope the people living in panic city are OK.

Reactions: bax and ToneDog

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
It's like he's tempting fate and wants florida to pass us..

I don't even open this thread because it's such a ridiculous notion that Florida could pass us. Borderline impossible.

Florida was 15-3-1 in their last 19 games prior to losing to Ottawa. They were 8-0-1 in their last 9 games prior to losing to Ottawa.

Leafs had lost 4 in a row, we didn't have Matthews, and recently lost to a bad Buffalo team.

Pens had won 3 in a row and were playing well lately.

Had we lost against the Pens and Florida beat Ottawa... there would have been a very real possibility that Florida passes us (would have only been 8 points ahead, but with two more games played, including one game against Florida).

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Florida was 15-3-1 in their last 19 games prior to losing to Ottawa. They were 8-0-1 in their last 9 games prior to losing to Ottawa.

Leafs had lost 4 in a row, we didn't have Matthews, and recently lost to a bad Buffalo team.

Had we lost against the Pens and Florida beat Ottawa... there would have been a very real possibility that Florida passes us (would have only been 8 points ahead, but with two more games played, including one game against Florida).
It was still a ridiculous notion :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

That stat alone should tell you that the Panthers were playing way over their heads. Only a matter of time before they lost one.

The Leafs did lose 4 in a row, but 3 of those games could have easily gone our way with the right bounces(Tampa/Florida/Buffalo).

Leafs are a very good team.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
That stat alone should tell you that the Panthers were playing way over their heads. Only a matter of time before they lost one.

The Leafs did lose 4 in a row, but 3 of those games could have easily gone our way with the right bounces(Tampa/Florida/Buffalo).

Leafs are a very good team.

I agree that the Pamthers were playing over their heads. They were beating good teams. One of those three loses was a 1-0 loss against us that they should have won.

The concern is that Florida has a really soft schedule to finish out the year, so they could keep up that pace playing bottom feeders like Ottawa and Montreal.

I think their only tough games are against Boston and us.

edit: they play the preds once too

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Even if Florida does keep winning and pass us, is that really a bad thing?

If they take over 3rd in the Atlantic, we would pretty easily be the top wildcard. It's not like Florida, Columbus, and Jersey are going to pass us to knock us out. So a wildcard spot means we play Tampa or, better yet and more likely, Washington.

Are any of those situations any worse than playing Boston? I don't think so.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Even if Florida does keep winning and pass us, is that really a bad thing?

If they take over 3rd in the Atlantic, we would pretty easily be the top wildcard. It's not like Florida, Columbus, and Jersey are going to pass us to knock us out. So a wildcard spot means we play Tampa or, better yet and more likely, Washington.

Are any of those situations any worse than playing Boston? I don't think so.

Leafs are not winning against anyone if they go in cold. You can't expect them to turn it on like a switch. Maybe veteran laden teams have that switch, but we're not veteran laden. This is such a loser mentality too.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Leafs are not winning against anyone if they go in cold. You can't expect them to turn it on like a switch. Maybe veteran laden teams have that switch, but we're not veteran laden. This is such a loser mentality too.

What? Who said losing? I think you misunderstood me.

I'm not saying the Leafs can feel free to lose. My point was about being worried about Florida. The point was that if Florida miraculously wins, lets say, all their games it doesn't hurt Toronto in the slightest.

I never intended to suggest anything about the Leafs playing hot or cold, one way or the other. Only that the possible spots in the standings, even in a worst case scenario, will yield similar playoff opponents.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

I'm not saying the Leafs can feel free to lose. My point was about being worried about Florida. The point was that if Florida miraculously wins, lets say, all their games it doesn't hurt Toronto in the slightest.

I never intended to suggest anything about the Leafs playing hot or cold, one way or the other. Only that the possible spots in the standings, even in a worst case scenario, will yield similar playoff opponents.
The only way the Leafs get passed by any team is if they go cold. Implying that anyone might pass them implies that the Leafs start losing more than they have all season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Oh ok, I get it. Sorry, I misunderstood.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd be worried if I lived there. Being a low-lying gulf state n' all.

LOL. Yes the hurricanes are nasty.

More seriously, I like watching the Cats, but they weren't going to catch us. However, they might be able to push out one of the wildcard teams that are currently ahead of them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leaf fans are weird.
No, the Panthers are not a threat.

Especially now that we are Blazing Panthers ourselves...

iu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->