Speculation: Anyone else think we'll better than we think?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There is a somewhat interesting pattern I’ve noticed — more optimistic expectations for the team usually involve the offense achieving at a higher level. Be it with some guys taking the next steps, or getting more ice time, or rookies playing strong, etc.. it tends to involve point production.

But for me, the biggest concern continues to be the defense. I just don’t know if that defense will hold up over a long season. There are a lot of question marks on that blue line and Lundqvist’s down stretches are getting longer and deeper.

So even if the offense exceeds expectations, I think holding onto leads is going to be a major challenge.

I couldn't help but think of this coming off an 8-5 lose. Not that it was all on the defense, so much as on team defense.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Looking great to me for now:

BHD3T.png

Yes please?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
FWIW, majority teams at the beginning of every season have issues/high variance, especially those with new coaches/systems.

Happens every season.

We'll see what this team looks like in a month or so and that is likely rhe real NYR.

Reactions: will1066

ThurmNYY

Jan 25, 2007
The Lost City
nysportsboard.com
No, I don't think we'll be a contender or even a playoff team. I think we'll be bottom 3rd in the league but closer to #20 than #31. Does anyone else get this feeling? We still have Hank who is past his prime but I think coupled with hopefully a more defensively aware system could keep the goals down enough where it's respectable. We also have some good NHLers like Zib, Zucc, Kreider, Hayes, Buch (this is also a projection), Skjei, Shatty, Smith (another projection). We have some good young players who are before their prime, but it's not like they're plugs like Chytil, Lias, ADA, and Pionk. Thoughts?

I never thought we would making the playoffs or lighting up the league but I thought we would have been a little better based on what I seen in Pre-Season.
Shattenkirk, Staal and Smith are lost and the Veterans look as lost as the Rookies.

I know it has only been 3 games so far but it seems as if there is something odd occurring right now.
it's either,
1. Quinns system is more complex then we realize and the players are having trouble grasping it
2. AV really messed this team up and it is going to take a long while to remove his pathogen
3. They are trying to dig an early hole to be in the running for the top pick in next years draft
4. Maybe Quinn is not that good of a Coach and he was brought in for reason number 3

Maybe I am just jumping the gun and getting ahead of myself after a very long off season. But I did expect at least a little more energy and excitement out of this team and so far it has been very disappointing.

Reactions: Ori

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
FWIW, majority teams at the beginning of every season have issues/high variance, especially those with new coaches/systems.

Happens every season.

We'll see what this team looks like in a month or so and that is likely rhe real NYR.

This is true.

For me, I wonder a bit about things snowballing if they lose their next few and sit at 0-6 or 0-7.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I never thought we would making the playoffs or lighting up the league but I thought we would have been a little better based on what I seen in Pre-Season.
Shattenkirk, Staal and Smith are lost and the Veterans look as lost as the Rookies.

I know it has only been 3 games so far but it seems as if there is something odd occurring right now.
it's either,
1. Quinns system is more complex then we realize and the players are having trouble grasping it
2. AV really messed this team up and it is going to take a long while to remove his pathogen
3. They are trying to dig an early hole to be in the running for the top pick in next years draft
4. Maybe Quinn is not that good of a Coach and he was brought in for reason number 3

Maybe I am just jumping the gun and getting ahead of myself after a very long off season. But I did expect at least a little more energy and excitement out of this team and so far it has been very disappointing.

I am keeping an open mind. There were no steady forward lines and D pairs yesterday and a lot of them stood around looking confused on checking assignments.

They actually started the game like a bat out of hell. They were moving their legs, they had energy.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think they finally scored a few and wanted to make up for the lack of scoring in the previous 2 games by putting up 10 yesterday.

Problem is, that game at the expense of their D. If that happens and your goalie had an off game, you give up 8. Hard to win when you do that.

ThurmNYY

Jan 25, 2007
The Lost City
nysportsboard.com
I am keeping an open mind. There were no steady forward lines and D pairs yesterday and a lot of them stood around looking confused on checking assignments.

They actually started the game like a bat out of hell. They were moving their legs, they had energy.

I am sure you are right and it can't really be this bad. It is only 3 games and the season is long. I guess things will just take longer then any of us could have thought.

Reactions: will1066

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It looks like many based their opinions on a power ranking table I posted in around the league topic, which is fine and understandable. I believe most have Rangers among the 3-5 bottom teams in the league before the seasons started. And now Rangers lost vs both Carolina & Buffalo, and it won`t be easier vs San Jose & Oilers later this week so it looks a little grim right now. But u suppose to be optimistic since it`s a new season as well and u always hope that one of your favorite teams win - unless u always think about draft picks and bottom out is most ideal since it increase your chance based on the lottery pick in summer 2019 draft.

So this topic is more like tank or not tank mentality, because most guys who are paid to analyze NHL team strengths based their facts related to stats and Rangers is really low ranked this season. We don`t have players in the top 50 power ranking table so basically we have *1 2nd line, and *3 3rd lines when McLeod is not playing.
I based my prediction based on that both Lias & Libor were playing in NHL this season, and I predicted that we won vs Buffalo and Carlina earlier, but I see now it will be very difficult. I wished that Quinn did not used Marc Staal since he was not good in pre season, but I missed on that since Lias & Libor were sent down to Wolfpack.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This team needs be bad if the Rangers want enough talent to win a Cup one day. They need a game-breaking all-star level talent (or two) and they can only get that through the draft it looks like. While I like Chytil and Kravtsov, it remains to be seen if they are those type of elite players.

I dont think you can willingly tank because you want to create a culture with the young talent the Rangers have to cultivate a winning product, but there needs to be another surefire weapon or two added to this team (on defense as well).

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I'm sure they'll be able to pick it up, but this defense is an atrocity!

Can't they lose playing youth that can at least develop? Staal is traffic cone, Smith is a bum, mcquaid needs to retire and Shatt is one dimensional.

My guess is Lundqvist requests a trade if this keeps up. He's going to get lit up every night.

Going to be along ugly season

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
We're 31st in the league with zero points. When was the last time we found the Rangers on the very bottom?

Good thing is, there's only one way out of this position...up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad