Speculation: Anyone else think we'll better than we think?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't know if an early Western road trip (at the end of October) is a good or bad thing. Could be a learning and bonding experience.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Season opener is a 7:30 puck drop to make time for opening ceremonies and raising a banner commemorating the trash fire that was the 2017-18 season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know if an early Western road trip (at the end of October) is a good or bad thing. Could be a learning and bonding experience.
Think it will be a good thing, but still not expecting this team to be good. As long as the kids develop, the players buy into the system and those vets that are a part of the future take steps forward, I will be happy.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This team will be better than expected. They have more talent than people give them credit for. Raise your hand if you had any one of Colorado, Jersey, or Vegas making the playoffs last year at this time and raise both hands if you had expansion Vegas going to the finals. There is just too much parity in this league to say this team has no shot. I think they will be a bubble team.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Someone on reddit posted a pretty cool interactive x-y chart(scatter) right after the finals. I wish I bookmarked but I did not. Anyhow I picked high danger scoring chances for and against(HDSCF and HDSCA). This was also done by player and not the by team(you have all the players on each team you pick listed). I compared the NYR to WPG, NSH, LV, WSH, TB and some other good teams, also did some poor teams. This was also with the rosters each team finished the season with.
What I found out was that each NYR needed to improve buy +1 HDSCF and -1 HDSCA to be right in the middle of the better teams in the league. So if you take 5 man units plus the 4th line that is basically +4 HDSCF and -4 HDSCA for the team. That is easier said than done, but with a more defensive system I can see this happening. You can be more like WPG that gives up very little HDSCA but also does not have much HDSCF. So even though I said it is a +1/-1 swing a 0/-2 would work also.
What I am saying is I think the NYR will finish about the same as last year 10th-ish, but if they push for the playoffs because everyone stays healthy and Quinn's system works, don't be too surprised... they are not as bad as everyone thinks(including myself before looking at some numbers). NYR also have players pushing for spots and that will keep the team motivated as a whole.

Reactions: NCRanger

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Think it will be a good thing, but still not expecting this team to be good. As long as the kids develop, the players buy into the system and those vets that are a part of the future take steps forward, I will be happy.
Remember when we swept Cali?

That's not happening

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I don't think the odds are great that we'll be a playoff team, but I can't see us being a bottom-5 team like some here seem to expect. I see us finishing right around where we did last season, and maybe even hanging around as a bubble playoff team. It's not blind optimism, either.

We lost Zibanejad, Kreider, and Shattenkirk for huge stretches last season. Injuries hit our best players disproportionately hard. If we stay a bit healthier this season, we'll be a better team. However, we also have no depth with any kind of NHL experience, so if injuries do hit hard again, we could be in for that bottom-5 finish.

Despite getting routinely shelled, Hank still had an absurdly high save percentage on high-danger shots, which we bled at a very high rate due to AV's system. If there's even incremental improvement in the D, we should be in many of the games we weren't last season. I also understand that we're going to score way less, and that's to be expected with a younger roster and a more conservative offensive system. But still, Hank is going to steal us some close games.

With all that being said, it's nice to go into a season with a clear mandate from management to develop and build. Of course, you're still trying to win every game, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Reactions: NCRanger

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Got to play them one at a time. But the caveat is if you're closing in on 20 losses by the end of November it doesn't matter anymore.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I think that we should know more by the end of the month. It may take that long to adjust to the new system and sort out the lines. If the defense can hold up and the injuries are at a minimum, I believe that there is a chance to be a wild card playoff team. On the other hand, management may already be planning on trading away assets at the deadline, in which case, the team becomes a lottery contestant.

BTW, I went from being a many years HF staffer to a beat reporter. Very grateful to all at this site through the years. You can follow me at @HFNYRangers

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think them going 0-3 will tell the tale... they’ll be a lottery team for sure but that’s ok.

In my opinion it’s actually the best thing we could do.

I like the young pieces we’ve added and I like what Coach Quinn has done thus far... but I still think we need elite talent & there’s only one way we can get it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I had them pegged between 5-7. May end up closer to 3-5.

I expect to get trashed by San Jose on Thursday so if they don't win on Saturday, the wheels may come off this bus way earlier than anticipated.

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
We're easily bottom 5, I'll just eyeball it and say 4th worst. Its always good to have hope but I'd like to think that this start cleared the delusional fog in some people's heads, thinking that we had a good forward group, remotely passable D, or that Henrik could drag us to wins v. good teams.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI and jas

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Looking great to me for now:

BHD3T.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->