Anyone else going down with the ship?

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
We just drove 400 miles to see them beat the pens 4-0
Stayed in Toronto thurs fri and cam back Saturday.
We spent about $3500 for 2 days, had fun, ate well, drank some beer, did some sightseeing.

got home about 5 on Saturday night just in time to grab some Indian takeaway and tune in the the Game...........Ugh

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
People that have been watching this team play know they aren’t good enough to win a Stanley Cup. The meltdowns, embarrassments, whatever, doesn’t change that fact.

I’m looking forward to how this team will change in the future. It’s not like we don’t have the pieces to completely retool either. This will be fun to watch unfold.

I love the Leafs and always will.

Reactions: Adversary

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I have decided to go down with the ship. It's hard to just abandon ship. I wanna see where things go from here. It's hard to stop watching when you are so invested. I have come this far, may as well stay on. Anyone else? If you found a lifeboat, that's great too.

If these players don't get it done, they will get replaced. If management can't get it done, it will be replaced too. But the organization is constant. I am invested in the organization, not in the people who run it or the players that play.
I think we’re all stranded on the ship. I’ll never stop watching.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well said.

Ive also been watching since about 1969 so I'm pretty sure I'm a lifer. This is still a team stacked with talent, I'm not giving up.

Nylander on the ice today, he's my new favourite player. Wonder what the others are doing today, meditating?

Tavares should be gathering everyone together, decide as a group that this will never happen again, say so and issue a public apology to the fans and donate their pay for that game to charity. Until these clowns respect themselves and each other it's going to be hard for me to respect them.
Willie was on the ice today. To me that’s huge news.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
These days I'm working a temporary job that starts at 6:30am so I sleep by 8:30 anyway to get up at 4:30. Will watch every few games and the highlights. This team is not worth my time or sleep rn.

I mean hell, Dubas gets paid the big bucks to manage the team, and even he turned away last night. That was one of, if not, the most embarrassing I've seen this team, or any team, play

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Can't wait for Tuesday's game. It is what it is at this point. I'm 50. Not changing teams and not looking for anymore hobbies at this point. GLG. Never forget: if this team wins a championship it will be the greatest celebration imaginable. I will skate down Yonge Street in roller blades from the 401 to Front carrying a tinfoil Cup. For context, I bet the average Avs fans from '96 and '01 doesn't even watch the game anymore.

Reactions: Polaris1010

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
always i'll die cheering for this team. this year has been a let down but i expected it the last 2 years so i was prepared. we have a team full of rich superstar teenagers that we are expecting to act like mature adults most people i know barring 1% that hit the ground running most didn't get everything together till they were 25 ish some later . now you put that in the fishbowl of a market that's starving for success your going to end up with a result that most wont accept.

we have had a lot of success of the past few seasons that ended up in heart break our prospects have mostly come up with a winning team in the ahl. the big club has made the playoffs in 3 straight seasons after scoring the earth . we were due for a hiccup.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
always i'll die cheering for this team. this year has been a let down but i expected it the last 2 years so i was prepared. we have a team full of rich superstar teenagers that we are expecting to act like mature adults most people i know barring 1% that hit the ground running most didn't get everything together till they were 25 ish some later . now you put that in the fishbowl of a market that's starving for success your going to end up with a result that most wont accept.

we have had a lot of success of the past few seasons that ended up in heart break our prospects have mostly come up with a winning team in the ahl. the big club has made the playoffs in 3 straight seasons after scoring the earth . we were due for a hiccup.

It’s too bad Marners agent can’t play the games for him like he negotiated for him

Reactions: Cobra777

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'll take a lifeboat I'm also too invested. Life jacket too please

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I have decided to go down with the ship. It's hard to just abandon ship. I wanna see where things go from here. It's hard to stop watching when you are so invested. I have come this far, may as well stay on. Anyone else? If you found a lifeboat, that's great too.

If these players don't get it done, they will get replaced. If management can't get it done, it will be replaced too. But the organization is constant. I am invested in the organization, not in the people who run it or the players that play.
Of course why would this year be any different than the previous 50+?

Pete2000

Nov 10, 2019
FIRST MATE MARNER: Captain Tavares, we're about to hit an iceberg.

CAPTAIN: Great, I could use some ice for my drink. (sound of drinking)

ICEBERG: (hits boat)

FIRST MATE: That can't be good.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Im genuinely uninterested. Only have hope for Sandin and Matthews. We need a splash at the trade deadline.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
You know what fans were also saying "I've stuck with this team this long, I'm not giving up now"?

Leafs fans in the early 1980s.
Leafs fans in the late 1980s.
Leafs fans in the mid 1990s.
Leafs fans in the mid-late 2000s.
Leafs fans in the mid 2010s.
And now, Leafs fans in the early 2020s.

Hey, at least it's not like it's an exclusive club.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Obviously we’re going down with this ship. At least I believe that since I live in this city I have to support the team regardless of how many mistakes the make it’s a given.

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I’m not going anywhere yet. I became a Maple Leafs fan almost 50 years ago at the age of 6.
We would rig the tin foil on the tv antenna just enough and adjust the vertical hold every 5 minutes just to see ghostly images of Dave Keon cutting to the net. I have suffered along with many of you, the darkest decades of Harold Ballard’s meddling and the brutal 80’s teams.

No...I am remaining on board, but it will be different now.
I may catch some of the games and I will miss some of them, but I will not sacrifice any more money for game tickets or merchandise, more importantly, I will not sacrifice any more of my time to remain glued to the tv on game nights.

This current team has me more angered and frustrated than all of those garbage teams combined.
To make all of this even worse, I am an American from and currently still in Buffalo.
I have not only been tortured by this teams play for 5o years, I am continuously heckled by friends and family over my love of this team.
I am still here, but for how long?

Last edited:

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I bleed blue and white. Our day will come, just not yet. The Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley cup will be one of the most special moments in sport history. We just don't got it...yet.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I mean hell, Dubas gets paid the big bucks to manage the team, and even he turned away last night. That was one of, if not, the most embarrassing I've seen this team, or any team, play
On Hockey Night Canada, that is what we saw. The cameras were on him in the 3rd period, after another goal against he did not look that happy, got up put away his phone and left.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why does it matter? It’d be fun to see the Leafs win, but if they don’t, it has little effect on my life other than I have fewer Leaf games to watch. When the Leafs lose, I just shift the energy I spent on following the Leafs to other pursuits and move on with my life.

Seriously, why does it upset some of you so much when the Leafs lose?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Seriously, why does it upset some of you so much when the Leafs lose?
It's Shakespeare.

There are only two types of plays, the comedy and the tragedy.

When the Leafs are winning and that season has a chance, then we are laughing.

When things start to unravel like they are now, then it's King Lear.

Perhaps now that's King Dubbie.

With Brendan as court jester.

:joker:

Last edited:

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
6yrs old when they won last cup in 67, played, lived and was infatuated with hockey myself because of the Leafs, barely missed and watched at least 85% of all leaf games since then, been through all the ups and downs since 67 and never jumped ship. I have never been so embarrassed and pissed off like last night to where I wished Leafs former alumni would of walked in that dressing room after that display and verbally humiliated them and remind them how fortunate it is to be paid substantially playing a game your supposed to love because it sure doesn't look like it most nights.
All over the internet is titled lost to a 42 yr old Zamboni driver with millions gloating over how poor this team and franchise is.
I have to admit I don't feel like wearing my Maple Leafs hat and Jersey for a while out of embarrassment.
1st time in over 50 yrs that I really wish but never will happen that I could witness an almost empty arena for a few games to send a message to these stiffs that this is not co sure to let down many of the die hard Leafs Nation that have supported this franchise throughout the years with just lack of effort.
This team is like Forest Gumps box of chocolates ya don't know what your going to get game in and out.
Losing is not why I feel this way as over the many yrs. have seen plenty of it. It is lack of effort and heart that bothers me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad