Anyone else feel like the rest of the U.S.'s Pool A tournament is irrelevant?

Pyke*

I mean, I realize the United States didn't have their *best* game against the Finns, but does anyone really believe that anybody is going to take out the Americans en-route to their bye to the Semis?

Switzerland very nearly fell to a German team who they were pounding 4-0. It's unlikely that they'll get that kind of lead against the U.S. or Finns, so their odds of winning the division are fairly minimal.

Similarly, you'd have to expect that the U.S. will walk all over Germany and the Slovakians. I wonder if that will hurt or help ticket sales in Buffalo. On the one hand, I guess you are pretty much guaranteed the Americans will be in the Medal Round, but on the other hand; there's no real "build up" of anticipation.

Seems weird, given the organizers got to pick the schedule. Why wouldn't they have put the Finland - U.S. game on New Years Eve?

Odd.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I mean, I realize the United States didn't have their *best* game against the Finns, but does anyone really believe that anybody is going to take out the Americans en-route to their bye to the Semis?

Switzerland very nearly fell to a German team who they were pounding 4-0. It's unlikely that they'll get that kind of lead against the U.S. or Finns, so their odds of winning the division are fairly minimal.

Similarly, you'd have to expect that the U.S. will walk all over Germany and the Slovakians. I wonder if that will hurt or help ticket sales in Buffalo. On the one hand, I guess you are pretty much guaranteed the Americans will be in the Medal Round, but on the other hand; there's no real "build up" of anticipation.

Seems weird, given the organizers got to pick the schedule. Why wouldn't they have put the Finland - U.S. game on New Years Eve?

Odd.

I get what you're saying, but I sure as heck hope the U.S. team isn't looking ahead. It was an uneven victory today, but a victory nonetheless. I will say the U.S. has a favorable schedule leading to a bye, but I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse. All I can hope is they continue getting better with each game and learn some lessons along the way.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Odd.

not really, this should be a fun competitive pool to watch.

Pool A have one to cut out one of Finland, Slovakia or Switzerland to go along with Germany.

I say Finns end up second due to that vital point they got today but then again Switzerland confuse me as they we're out shot today, only because Conz is a beast and Nino is amazing for that club.

Keep in mind Russia we're upset to the Swiss team because of Conz last years world junior tournament.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Honestly, I'm pretty excited about pool A. In my opinion every game has the potential to be competitive. Germany has a strong team(based on them outshooting the Swiss by so much after the first period), the Swiss just came off a SF performance, and their 2 main players are both returning(El Nino, and Conz), the Slovakian are always dangerous, Finland has their strongest team in years proven by tonights performance versus the Americans and the Americans are Co-Gold medal favorites. A team like the Germans isn't likely to beat the Americans or Fins but it'll e much closer than Norway/Canada, and as a result I think there is the potential for an upset in every game, and they haven't dissapointed in their first 2 games. Sure it'll probably end up 1.USA 2.Finland 3/4.Swiss/Slovakia 5.Germany, but it's much less certain than in previous years, and that's why I'm looking forward to this tournament more than in previous years:)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having seen them in two games, the US should not be looking past ANYONE. Their transition play has been shaky as the defense have struggled moving the puck. They can't afford to look past anyone.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd hate to have tickets to the group A games, they should be pretty lopsided, if the U S plays as expected.

Energise

Mar 6, 2009
The Phog
If this tournament was played on paper, you'd be right. With the way we've looked, however, I don't really think we can come close to anointing this USA team. Losing Morin coupled with Nelson's injury severity being unknown, we may be in for a fight against the Swiss at the very least.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'll have to double check, but i believe scheduling is done based on seeding. IIHF cant just move more exciting games to the end.

(edit: yeah, both groups were 1 v 3, 2 v 5. Today is 4 v 5 in each group.)

I do think switzerland could give US trouble. Depends on if they get their act together. Like almost everyone i didnt watch the game, but it sounds like they stopped playing after 20.

everyone thought USA was going to cruise to a bye in pool A from the start, with the possibility of switzerland or finland giving them a hard time. Nothing's changed.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
All of pool B is irrelevant.

No, just Pool A.

Even in that pool, the US has looked utterly beatable in all of their games so far.

If Finland and Slovakia are going to push them that hard, they need to pick it up or get slaughtered by Sweden, Canada or Russia.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
No, just Pool A.

Even in that pool, the US has looked utterly beatable in all of their games so far.

If Finland and Slovakia are going to push them that hard, they need to pick it up or get slaughtered by Sweden, Canada or Russia.

Really? Come on... are you 13 or something?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Canada had the same thing last year. One competitive game against the US and the rest were cake walks.

This year is interesting because the US played their toughest game first. The rest should be easy.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
i'll have to double check, but i believe scheduling is done based on seeding. IIHF cant just move more exciting games to the end.

(edit: yeah, both groups were 1 v 3, 2 v 5. Today is 4 v 5 in each group.)

nope, on Wednesday it's Canada/Norway(1 vs. 5) and Finland/Germany(3 vs. 5). Most of them do match up with each other but not all of them.

Also it isn't the same order as last year Canada opened against Latvia(1 vs. 4) this yearit was 1 vs. 3. The schedule is decided on by the organizers, as TSN has mentioned more than once, I still don't understand why USA Opened against Finland

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Just telling it like I see it.

That entire group is looking piss poor, and the Americans don't look like they deserve to be excluded from that.

Yes, calling an entire bracket "piss poor" is clearly unbiased assessment. :huh:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I think the weak pool they're in isn't actually doing the Americans much good. Yes it makes it very, very easy to get the bye to the semis. But there's really only one game against a traditional hockey country and they've already played it. And frankly I doubt it went close to as good as the Americans were hoping for. Now they have three games against poor hockey countries (even Switzerland and their Cinderella run last year isn't very good, they were totally outplayed by Germany, Conz is sick though) and they have to get their **** together, because if that same USA team from the Finland game comes out against Canada/Russia/Sweden in the semis, they're probably not getting a chance to play for their second straight gold medal. I just think it would be very beneficial to have one more tough game in the round robin, just because it's hard to really come together as a team when you have such a huge skill advantage (that the Americans will have in the next three games).

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I think the weak pool they're in isn't actually doing the Americans much good. Yes it makes it very, very easy to get the bye to the semis. But there's really only one game against a traditional hockey country and they've already played it. And frankly I doubt it went close to as good as the Americans were hoping for. Now they have three games against poor hockey countries (even Switzerland and their Cinderella run last year isn't very good, they were totally outplayed by Germany, Conz is sick though) and they have to get their **** together, because if that same USA team from the Finland game comes out against Canada/Russia/Sweden in the semis, they're probably not getting a chance to play for their second straight gold medal. I just think it would be very beneficial to have one more tough game in the round robin, just because it's hard to really come together as a team when you have such a huge skill advantage (that the Americans will have in the next three games).

oh, you saw sui-ger? Did sui really look outplayed or did they just stop playing after they thought they won.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
oh, you saw sui-ger? Did sui really look outplayed or did they just stop playing after they thought they won.

I missed the first period (border was slow) which was clearly in Switzerland's favour. The final two periods were all Germany, Switzerland must have let up a bit with such a lead but even when the game got close again in the third they really did very little to turn it around. If not for another miraculous performance from Conz, Germany should have easily won.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So to this point in group A we've had what would seem to be a very interesting Swiss/Germany game, a very exciting Finland/USA game, and a Slovakia/Germany game which would also seem to be very interesting.

While in group B, Canada beat Russia in a very entertaining game, Sweden rolled over Norway 7-1 in what would seem to be a boring game, and a 2-0 Czech win over Norway which would also seem to be a pretty lackluster game.

Is it just me or is Pool B the irrelevant pool?:laugh:, seriously though, while Pool B may have the better teams I think Pool A is going to continue to give us exciting hockey throughout the tournament;)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
So to this point in group A we've had what would seem to be a very interesting Swiss/Germany game, a very exciting Finland/USA game, and a Slovakia/Germany game which would also seem to be very interesting.

While in group B, Canada beat Russia in a very entertaining game, Sweden rolled over Norway 7-1 in what would seem to be a boring game, and a 2-0 Czech win over Norway which would also seem to be a pretty lackluster game.

Is it just me or is Pool B the irrelevant pool?:laugh:, seriously though, while Pool B may have the better teams I think Pool A is going to continue to give us exciting hockey throughout the tournament;)

POOL A IS GOING TO WEAR THEMSELVES OUT.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
bruinsfan46
Don't down play the other teams should the states beat them yes but don't think it will be easy.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I think the OP's point wasn't "is the Pool irrelevent" as much as "are the rest of Team USA's games irrelevant". Obviously there is much at stake for the other teams and someone is going to get into the medal round due to this favorable divisional alignment. As for the U.S., yes, they should cruise to a semifinal bye, but it's the way they get there that matters most. They will need to improve their overall game as the tournament progresses or they will find their tournament could hit a roadblock in the semis. It's the journey as much as the destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->