Anyone attend Portsmouth Hockey School in the 1970's?

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by SealsFan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SealsFan

SealsFan Registered User

Portsmouth Hockey School was a summer hockey camp held at Portsmouth Abbey in Rhode Island. I saw their ad in the Hockey News and wound up attending with two friends in 1972 and '73 when I was 14/15 years old. We only went for a week but wished I could have gone for 4 weeks or even the whole summer like some kids.

Somewhere I still have my report cards, graded by 1963 Cornell goalie Laing Kennedy, who was the goalie instructor:
    http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2010/05/laing_kennedy_retiring_after_d.html

I think I also have my red jersey (made of durene, not polyester!) but never got a jacket because they were out of them when I was there.

One thing I'll always remember is that the goalies didn't get to dress at the rink. Goalies had their own locker facilities in a separate building on the other side of the campus!!! So you would put your pants, socks, chest/arm protector and jersey on, then haul your leg pads, gloves, mask, stick and skates across the campus in the summer heat, running like a lunatic because there was only 15 minutes between sessions to get suited up. If you tried a shortcut across the lawn and a counselor caught you, you'd be made to drop and do 50 pushups on the spot!!
    :bow:

Great times!

2. SealsFan

SealsFan Registered User