Anybody Watching this Presser type deal at the ACC?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Comment on one of the YouTube videos about Nonis talking about goaltending

Nonis and the Kings admitted that as soon as the lockout was lifted, Nonis was on the phone with them asking about Bernier. They held off on the deal because Quick had surgery in the off season and they wanted Bernier as insurance (which proved to be the smart move on their part). Nonis was after Bernier before Kipper was in the picture. In his answer, he specifically said that Kipper was being looked at as a way to add experience while he said that Bernier is brought in to push Reimer and have one of them emerge as the #1. Nonis wanting Bernier before the start of last season suggests that he had hoped to go into the season with a Bernier/Reimer tandem. That didn't happen so he switched gears and started looking for an obvious upgrade on Scrivens rather than a duelling partner for Reimer.

Nonis is able to compliment Scrivens after the fact but it's clear that at that time, going into the season with such an inexperienced goalie tandem was something the he wasn't entirely comfortable with. That's where Kipper comes in. Kipper was a more comfortable option as back-up in Nonis' eyes. People are quickly trying to tie it all together when it doesn't belong together. Bernier and Kipper were a part of two DIFFERENT plans for Nonis - neither of them worked out last season.

Penalty Kill Icing*

What a moronic question. I wish Nonis had elaborated further. Burke would have destroyed him.

Nope. He wouldn't have. Addressing the fans isn't the same as addressing the media. In public speaking, no one goes out to make enemies.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Any links to the full presser? Wouldn't mind seeing what Nonis and co. had to say.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
What a moronic question. I wish Nonis had elaborated further. Burke would have destroyed him.

No chance. You don't ever ever insult the customer. Burke knows that. It's one thing to dummy a Berger or Simmons but you don't talk smack to a STH on live TV even if the question is incredibly stupid.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I saw the replay of this earlier on Leafs TV and from what Leiweke said it's pretty much a guarantee that during the Leafs 100th Anniversary they will at least host the All Star Game and Draft, because they requested it. Plus the NHL already set that type of precedent when Montreal hosted those events during their 100th Anniversary, so there is no way the league can tell them no.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Burke said in 2011 or 2012 that he was trying to get the draft, ASG and winter classic for the 100th. figured itd be obvious mlse still wants them

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Burke said in 2011 or 2012 that he was trying to get the draft, ASG and winter classic for the 100th. figured itd be obvious mlse still wants them
Leiweke was also asked about a Winter Classic during their 100th Anniversary, however he said that's harder to answer right now because of where it would be played at. Although with the NHL's trend of giving Winter Classic's to teams that previously played in them as a visiting team, it's almost a guarantee the Leafs would host one no matter what.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Some videos from mapleleafs.com

[NHL]447939[/NHL][NHL]447944[/NHL]
[NHL]447948[/NHL][NHL]447949[/NHL]
[NHL]448062[/NHL][NHL]448070[/NHL]
[NHL]448087[/NHL][NHL]448090[/NHL]
[NHL]448093[/NHL]

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
they didn't put up the TL stuff (I wanted to hear what he wanted to say), but something I really hope that they push - since Bell/Rogers own the leafs, I hope they take over the ACC naming rights when Air Canada's sponsership on the building runs out they re:name the building like "Maple Leafs __________" I think that's just something that's missing (in all sport). so many fields/arenas are corporate entities now.

It would be nice to have a Maple Leafs Centre (Arena etc).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
they didn't put up the TL stuff (I wanted to hear what he wanted to say), but something I really hope that they push - since Bell/Rogers own the leafs, I hope they take over the ACC naming rights when Air Canada's sponsership on the building runs out they re:name the building like "Maple Leafs __________" I think that's just something that's missing (in all sport). so many fields/arenas are corporate entities now.

You know what I find kind of funny, the fact that the Boston Bruins arena rights are owned by Toronto Dominion and means TD Garden actually means Toronto Dominion Garden...

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
That new name for the ACC would be nice to see. Although the Raptors might be a small factor in the naming plan (although everyone knows the Leafs are the juggernaut of the two). My Cleveland Browns just lost the name on their stadium this year. It went from Cleveland Browns Stadium to First Energy Stadium.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Urg, I shouldnt have read this. I instantly got excited about the prospect of Stammer signing in Toronto even though there is a 1% chance he goes UFA and a 0.1% chance he chooses the Leafs :(

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Why would they give up the income from naming rights just to satisfy the small proportion of fans who object to corporate naming of sports buildings and are willing to not spend money on the team because of it?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why would they give up the income from naming rights just to satisfy the small proportion of fans who object to corporate naming of sports buildings and are willing to not spend money on the team because of it?

well clearly they won't. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if it was considered because of the reasons I pointed out. I don't know why it's necessarily a small proportion of fans. it's just a wish. I get why teams do it (the money), but like I pointed out it's just somewhat more ... special when it's the name of the team. (or the organization in the Leafs case - i keep forgetting about the raptors).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->