Anybody want to relive 2002? - youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackandLube

Dec 7, 2005
Well, 2006 was a total bust. Anybody want to relive 2002? I just uploaded a video. What a factor Yzerman, Lemieux, and even Kariya were in that Gold Medal game. Where did this Joe Sakic disappear too, he's everywhere and doing everything in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scIolMPt2hI

Gretzky explained in his NBC interview that the pressure on Team Canada was enourmous, that the team wasn't having fun whereas the Finns and other teams were. Sakic couldn't bear the entire burden and leaders like Steve and Mario were clearly missed. They were playing desperate hockey and just didn't get into the game.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Actually, I think Yzerman's best game was the first quarterfinal game (the equivalent to yesterday's game) against Finland in 2002. He was all over the place , strong on the puck and made smart decisions. Lemieux made some good offensive plays, but Yzerman was the overall star of that game. Lemeiux gets more of the credit just because he's a bigger name and it adds to the legend, but I was absolutely amazed by how well Yzerman played in the elimination games. Not many people will admit it but the truth was Yzerman had not played at an elite level for a couple of years prior to the 2002 Olympics and all of sudden he was outstanding. There's no way Canada would have defeated Finland in the Quarterfinal game if Yzerman wasn't playing so well.

That was the second last gasp of greatness Yzerman displayed, the last being the first couple of rounds of the 2002 playoffs.

It's a shame that no Canadian player rose up like that this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->