Anybody wanna cover the Blackhawks?!?

TheWestWing

Nov 22, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thought this was funny. Obviously editing and proofreading not required.

TL;DR - 3rd bullet point

upload_2018-9-14_8-12-54.png

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Thought this was funny. Obviously editing and proofreading not required.

TL;DR - 3rd bullet point

View attachment 139679

The worst part of this letter is not the fact that they forgot to change all the Blackhawks references - hell, at this point in this town, it's basically accurate if you're sending the letter to Scottsdale.

No, the worst part is the last bolded line: "This is a contractor position that pays a monthly stipend." In other words, you are writing for exposure and a monthly check of about 15 bucks.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not that I was a huge fan before either, but their last site manager kinda ran the place into the ground so it's not terribly surprising they are looking.

Y'know, at one point I might have jumped at this myself. But it's a ton of work padding someone else's bottom line, and you don't get enough access to make it worthwhile for the exposure if you are self-sustaining enough not to need the absolute pittance SBN/Vox pays.

Reactions: 0point1

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Stipend is a bad word for what sounds like a fair amount of hours a week.

I'd pump out content on a by piece or by word basis once or twice a week for them, though, and do better than anything I've read on my few visits there.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Athletic looks like it will swalow them and all the little sites with fan articles whole. Has anybody noted yet how journalists who, based upon their previous work, were just meh are suddenly pumping out quality articles on the Athletic? Kudos to our friend Morgan for finding his inner scribe.

Reactions: 0point1

NSYote

Jul 8, 2015
Halifax, NS
I have been enjoying Morgan and Silverman's output since the switch.

I think the general reason that gets cited is that most publications want your articles to fit a few templates that they're willing to pay for hence the game recaps and press release regurgitation. I can see that being pretty tiring.

The Athletic seems to encourage their reporters to write the coverage they think is most worthwhile.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Athletic looks like it will swalow them and all the little sites with fan articles whole. Has anybody noted yet how journalists who, based upon their previous work, were just meh are suddenly pumping out quality articles on the Athletic? Kudos to our friend Morgan for finding his inner scribe.

The Athletic is one of the only outlets going counter to industry trends - they have a budget to pay their correspondents, they have significant image cachet, and they're growing. That means that their writers don't have to kowtow for access.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Atheltic has to be in the red big time though, no? I believe I read that they need 10k subscribers in each market to make this work and only a handful like Toronto have met that theshold so far.

With subscription cost as relatively low as it is, and no advertising, somebody is losing a ton of money here in order to pay the writers. Maybe they’re freelancers, but I think The Athletic is the full time employer for a number of them.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Atheltic has to be in the red big time though, no? I believe I read that they need 10k subscribers in each market to make this work and only a handful like Toronto have met that theshold so far.

With subscription cost as relatively low as it is, and no advertising, somebody is losing a ton of money here in order to pay the writers. Maybe they’re freelancers, but I think The Athletic is the full time employer for a number of them.
I'm sure that the business model includes a fairly lengthy lead up to break even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad