Anybody remember 92/93 Payrolls? Oh How it's all changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey_Nut99

Can't believe it's changed so much. Bettman has been good and bad. Nobody can deny that he really grew the game, even though he did it the wrong way a lot. These are the only ones I have (In millions of course)

Boston: 9.6
Buffalo:11.2
Calgary:8.8
Hartford:8.9
Chicago:11.4
Quebec:8.1
Minnesota:10.1
Montreal:10.3
New Jersey:9.6
NY Islanders:9.4
NY Rangers:14.8
Ottawa:4.5
Philadelphia:11.8
Winnipeg:9.2
Pittsburgh:15.2
San Jose:6.9
St. Louis:10.6
Tampa Bay:6.9
Toronto:9.2
Vancouver:8.8
Washington:10.3

NHL Average:10.0

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Hockey_Nut99 said:
Can't believe it's changed so much. Bettman has been good and bad. Nobody can deny that he really grew the game, even though he did it the wrong way a lot. These are the only ones I have (In millions of course)

Ive only got one word: Wow. :eek:

can we timewarp back some 12 years?

Hockey_Nut99

no13matssundin said:
Ive only got one word: Wow. :eek:

can we timewarp back some 12 years?

I know it's nuts!! Not a smuch revenue back then but it's mind boggling just taking a look back.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
What good has Bettman done exactly? Well besides switching the home and away sweaters of course, I really thought that was gonna save the NHL but I guess I was wrong on that one.

Hockey_Nut99

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
What good has Bettman done exactly? Well besides switching the home and away sweaters of course, I really thought that was gonna save the NHL but I guess I was wrong on that one.

He has done both (more bad in my opinion). i HATE that jersey change, but it has more to do with selling more third jerseys. Teams can wear them more. He got the first tv deals on ESPN and ABC, which never happened before. He brough the league up to 2.2 billion in revenue.

This thread isn't about Gary. It's just a neat look back ont he payrolls. I don't like Gary much anyways. I was lazy to try and find Detroit and L.A.'s payroll. If anyone knows it just list it.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
It was the same then as it is now (well not really. lol) , the Rangers were spending 50% + more then all other teams. except the payrolls were alot smaller back then, so the difference is not as noticable as now. But it was still an advantage for them. Although we'll never see the Pens leading the league in payroll again probably. lol

ahhh... 92-93 was a great year. :D (habs fan)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hockey_Nut99 said:

Amazing payroll parity between the teams.

12m+ 2 teams
8-12m 16 teams
<8m 3 teams (expansion)

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I don't understand why people care so much about payrolls. Hockey tickets were still expensive back in 1993 like they have always been. Do people actually cheer on billionaires and lose sleep over how much money they make?

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
I don't understand why people care so much about payrolls. Hockey tickets were still expensive back in 1993 like they have always been. Do people actually cheer on billionaires and lose sleep over how much money they make?

owners generally have made their money wisely in other businesses and obviously keep doing so as they haven't gone broke yet. hockey players on the other hand mostly only have hockey as their main bread winner, should anything happen to the nhl, there's not many teams in other leagues that could match what the nhl has given them over their career.

since this league is the most gate driven of all in north america. whether or not ticket prices are the main moneymaker or not has been questioned numerous times here. simply looking at the numbers most would assume that when payrolls went up and so did ticket prices, that it must be directly connected. I'm looking up the numbers going back to the '00 - '01 season myself, i'm not at my computer or i'd have more info at this time.

billionaire owners need their money to keep this great sport running. millionaire players can get by by buying a pontiac or ford instead of a ferrari, jaguar or lexus. the players have claimed that they want nothing to do with how the owners run the nhl, yet in the same breath they don't want anything to do with a cap that would keep all 30 owners (relatively speaking, i know some teams have multiple owners) from losing money season after season. i don't want this to turn into another thread about too many teams or teams in non hockey markets.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Lionel Hutz said:
Ottawa $4.5 :joker:

That wouldn't buy you a checking line today.
the fact that Martin Lapointe outearns many teams payrolls is just sickening. The best part is Jacobs is one of the hardline guys haha.

Boilers*

Man Detroit,the Rangers and LA sure jacked it immensly from 92-93 to the next season.

Reilly311

Hockey_Nut99 said:

times HAVE changed haven't they? :joker:

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
To think that Big Spending Pittsburgh led the league in payroll and had 3 times the payroll of the small market Ottawa.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Makes sense as to why Pickett (former isles owner) gave the concession/parking revenue (not sure of exact pct)to the arena operator SMG .

I guess he didnt forsee salaries escalating to what they are today otherwise he'd have put a few escape clauses in that long term lease .

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:

Now your on to something very significant. I think most of us were shocked at how much payrolls have actually gone up in 12 years but have ticket prices quadrupled or in some teams case gone up 6 or 7 X % to compensate? I did a google and found Dallas Stars from 1994 to 2002;

Season Ticket $ (nhl-rank) Fan Cost Index $
01/02 75.91 ( 1) 386.12 (1)
00/01 56.43 (5) 292.22 (8)
99/00 50.87 (6) 272.98 (10)
98/99 45.88 (9) 240.52 (13)
97/98 43.49 (12) 232.46 (13)
96/97 28.74 (24) 165.96 (24)
95/96 28.74 (22) 168.96 (21)
94/95 35.00 (12) 200.00 (15)

So during this timeframe ticket prices basically doubled. Does anyone have ticket prices for all teams for this same 12 year period. I'm thinking that team payrolls went up at a much higher rate than ticket prices did wich reflects that fans are not willing or prepared to match the inflation rate of player salaries.

I know my base income has gone up 35% in the past 12 years- not nearly enough to keep up with rising ticket prices, hence, we have a problem that Bettman the owners and unfortunatley not the players are hopeful of fixing.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
It is funny that 92-93 seems to be the last of the years of sane salaries. in 94 the Rangers won the cup after a classic series w/Vancouver, and the American and Canadian economies were on the rebound after the early 90's recession. The reaction to the Ranger's win really convinced both owners and players that hockey was the next big thing.

Because of those reasons, hockey after 94 was built up like the dotcom bubble with both expansion and inflated salaries. the truth seems to be that hockey did grow some after 94, but not enough to justify the expansion and the salaries. Much like the economy in the 90's, hockey suffered through what Greenspan called "irrational exuberance"

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
If a tree quadruples in value in the middle of the forest and no one can afford to see it, did it happen?

Hockey was expensive back in the day, but we saw it as worth it because of the small (relative to other pro sports crowds) venues and the completely night and day value hockey has over NBA (buy the shoes....see Jack......fall asleep) and ML(*snoooooorrrreeee*)B.

The game declined with overexpansion, poor business and product decisions, the TRAP and a complete ignorance of the need to advertise the product and market it to the mainstrea,.

Basically, we had a cult sport that was the greatest, but the cult is just not worth it anymore.

Hey?!? No mass suicide like many of the great cults ended up with..........that's a good thing.....uh.....yeah.

Just a suicide by the game, the players, the owners and the union.

EVERYONE f***ed this up and only the fans are paying for it.

-end of rant-

Greenspan's "irrational exhuberance" is very apt.....only stocks tumbled. Salaries, ticket prices and franchise inflated values won't go down so easily, as economics DICTATES they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad