Prospect Info: Anybody know much about this Noel Hoefenmayer signing by us!?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Regarding this prospect, he's obviously behind the curve as a skater. He probably needs to de-construct his entire skating package back to first principles. It can be done but it's incredibly irritating. Here's a crazy thought about these types of skating projects: don't play them in hockey games (or very few games) until they've had months of repetition on the practise ice. It's way too easy to revert to old habits in the heat of a game. Remember that the old habits worked for the player at the previous level.

Neat idea. I like it. I think the Leafs actually did this with Bracco, but it was conditioning/strength training IIRC.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I never said that the Owner said he was a wunderkind.
You claimed him to be hired due to being a stat "wunder kid", and claimed the owners stated as such on HNIC when he was hired. You have not substantiated this, while I have provided comments by the owner that say no such thing. Based on your unsubstantiated claim, you concluded that this player being discussed must not be good analytically. Let's move forward discussing this player based on actual facts.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
OHL top defenceman Noel Hoefenmayer puts faith in Toronto Maple Leafs organization - TSN.ca

"I'm really happy that my off-season work paid off," the Toronto native said. "I took not signing with Arizona pretty seriously when I was working last summer. I knew what my goals were, I knew what I was working for so to have that pay off was rewarding."

Hoefenmayer increased his point total by 20 despite playing 10 fewer games than in the 2018-19 season. And he didn't just earn a trophy from the league, he also earned a contract. The 21-year-old signed a two year American Hockey League deal with the Toronto Marlies. All of a sudden that big dream of playing in the NHL seems closer than ever.

"It's one step closer," Hoefenmayer said cautiously. "The road never ends until you're there. It's a good step forward, but there's a lot more hard work to do."

Hoefenmayer spoke to TSN via Skype this week and explained why he trusts the Leafs organization to help him take the next strides in his development. The following is an edited transcript of the interview.

Where did you improve the most last summer?

"I really wanted to focus on my speed. I also worked a lot on my offensive-zone play, working the blueline, moving the puck quickly, getting my feet moving out of tight situations so I think that translated pretty well. In hockey there's always room for improvement, especially with skating. My skating improved last summer, but that's something I'll look for again in this quarantine period and this summer leading into next season."

What's the message from Toronto's player development staff so far?

"I've had some good discussions with them. They've been running some mobility classes and mindfulness training so I've been doing that every day throughout the week and hoping, as soon as I'm allowed, to get in there and work with them."

Why was the Leafs organization the right choice for you to continue your development?

"I'm a Toronto kid so I grew up watching the Leafs and it's a true honour to play for my hometown and hopefully earn an NHL contract at some point. That was a huge thing, but also their development [staff] and what they do to players. I've seen it throughout the years and it's well-known throughout the whole of hockey that they have a great development system."

What stands out the most about Toronto's development team?

"I think the big thing is Barb [Underhill]. She's a great skating coach and she's worked with a lot of players in the NHL especially with the Leafs and turned them into great skaters and that's the No. 1 area I need to work on. She's very good so I'm excited to work with her."

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
More has come out about his play from coaches etc. Has a Nhl quality shot right now,needs skating help from barb,effectively runs a powerplay,works hard,doesn’t sulk,determined to get better,well liked as a good person.
All good

Reactions: teddygmr

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Say what you want about his skating/defensive IQ (both of which have improved this past season), his offense/size combo make him a force. I get inklings with certain prospects and there's something in Hoef's game that makes me confident he'll play eventually.

Reactions: uncleben

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
His stats and his highlight look good. My only concerns are his skating and the fact that Arizona didn’t want him. Are those fair concerns or am I off base?

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
His stats and his highlight some look good. My only concerns are his skating and the fact that Arizona didn’t want him. Are those fair concerns or am I off base?
Based on what I see in this video, his skating doesn't look like a problem. Seems stupid of the Yotes to let the D man of the year in the CHL go for something that could be fixable. Why wouldn't they at least work with him on it?

Reactions: Saint Blue

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Based on what I see in this video, his skating doesn't look like a problem. Seems stupid of the Yotes to let the D man of the year in the CHL go for something that could be fixable. Why wouldn't they at least work with him on it?
Maybe it’s not just his skating they don’t like

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Maybe it’s not just his skating they don’t like
They didn’t like his Nhl quality shot either. Maybe it was his 6’2” 200 pound frame they didn’t like. We will know by mid way of the Ahl season next year likely who was making the right move.

They are the ones being questioned as to letting him go at present. Looks like we are making a good move more so than them.

Reactions: Saint Blue

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
It's a free wallet. Zero risk signing. He's not even on an NHL contract, so even better.
This.
I will take a flyer on a late bloomer who explodes in Jr, especially if they have deficiencies that are able to be coached.
Improving mechanical things like skating, shot you can work on.
Give me all the high IQ, well positioned, 'sound' guys you can find. IMO thats how you weaponize your cash, you bring in the best trainers money can buy, and try and convert a few of these guys into real assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad