Anybody ever see Jeffrey Skinner as a 50 goal scorer?

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
As someone who's watched the majority of Canes games the last 5 or so years, yes absolutely. He won't get there every year, but there was never a doubt that he was capable in the right situation, he's more than talented enough.

He had to drag around some terrible linemates and still put up 30+, but playing for a team nobody watches led to him being crazy underrated. One of the best pure finishers in the league

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
How does a team drafting lottery picks every year not put together a team to support a guy like Skinner ?

You act like they’ve been picking in the top of the draft every year or something. They’ve had exactly three top 5 picks in the last 13 years. The Hurricanes main problem is they’re always just good enough to miss out on getting the top talent.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You act like they’ve been picking in the top of the draft every year or something. They’ve had exactly three top 5 picks in the last 13 years. The Hurricanes main problem is they’re always just good enough to miss out on getting the top talent.
Top 15 is still a lottery pick technically.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The OP was fine until the end. Skinner can score, but if you're signing him expecting 50 goals every year you're sadly mistaken. He's a complimentary scorer like Kessel. Not a franchise guy you pay 10+ million a year for

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, sure. He was a 30 goal scorer on a Canes-team where he had absolutely no help. 50 goals with a great playmaker is plausible. Especially when we consider that Skinner isn't one of those opportunistic coasters(Pacioretty), he has huge effort level.

The OP was fine until the end. Skinner can score, but if you're signing him expecting 50 goals every year you're sadly mistaken. He's a complimentary scorer like Kessel. Not a franchise guy you pay 10+ million a year for
I disagree, Skinner and Kessel play a fundamentally different game. There is a good reason he leads Avs in +/- by a large margin even if we consider the stat terrible. Skinner isn't a complimentary player type at all.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Can't believe the Hurricanes, a team in desperate need of goal scoring, traded him going into a contract year for the equivalent of the change you might find in your car seats. He is and always has been a very talented player. Just one of those talented players who really badly need to play with other talented players.
Have you watched him much? He’s pretty good even without elite company. Did really well without Eichel, statistically Eichel is the one getting the boost from Skinner.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Skinner doesn't have a lot of comparable players.

He was kind of like Datsyuk with little defensive game in Carolina. What I mean is he could strip the puck and dangle through a few players to score and look like a magician or just cherry pick and give up the puck.

If he plays with people who can defend for him and get him the puck repeatedly he can be a 40g guy for the foreseeable future.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Holy the hot takes around here. No I see him as a guy who struggles a lot to hit 35, What has he hit it twice in 9 years? And he's in a contract year. Nobody calls cheechoo a 50 goal scorer and rightfully so.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
IMO, this is the best we'll ever see him play. I feel he'll cool off and fall short of 50 this season.
I would not pay 9.5 million for him if I were the Sabres,

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
He's 2nd in goal scoring. Among his peers he's near the top. How's that for perspective?
Only halfway through the season, and not top 30 in scoring. More context.
There’s generally only a few players who hover around the very tip top of the goal scorers list through the season any year, and every year there’s a number who fall off somewhere after half.

“HoF level” is way out of his reach, an amusing suggestion in the OP

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Skinner is great, but he's shooting at 21.6% this year, which is way above his career average shooting percentage (11.4%). Applying his career average of 11.4% to his current shot totals, he should have ~16 goals right now, not 30. That would put him on pace for a 30 goal season. I expect to see him more in that 30-35 goal range going forward after this season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Skinner will be a terrible UFA to sign. Mark my words. And Buffalo has to watch it, they already made a big mistake with Okposo and they are stuck with him.
When is the last time a big UFA winger worked-out?

Toronto recognized this and never had any interest keeping JVR.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
30 goals as a rookie with a Calder trophy and coming into the league as the hands down best skater yes, it’s crazy that he hasn’t done it ever

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
IMO, this is the best we'll ever see him play. I feel he'll cool off and fall short of 50 this season.
I would not pay 9.5 million for him if I were the Sabres,

Skinner will be a terrible UFA to sign. Mark my words. And Buffalo has to watch it, they already made a big mistake with Okposo and they are stuck with him.

You just gonna keep repeating yourself until you find someone to argue with???

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Yeah, you know, Toronto, quite obviously, always does it right.

In fact, all that success over the years has led the Maple Leafs to expand their trophy case multiple times.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad