Anybody else disappointed in the PHWA and the rest of the hockey media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiversQ

Oct 14, 2004
Personally, I'm astounded at how poor the investigative journalism has been surrounding the NHL lockout and CBA negotiations. For the most part, the hockey writers have provided little to no content and have offered only dubious opinion based columns which appear to have only inflammatory intent. Afterwards I am left to wonder how many of the guys are almost literally on the take either from their local NHL teams or from the NHLPA. The TV media has resorted to "Crossfire" style media panels with clearly staged debates involving what appears to be role playing. What is the scoop on the total lack of scoops? Anyone else wonder why the broadcast media appears to be so lazy with respect to this issue? They manage to fill gobs of airtime with meaningless blather, why not go the extra mile and actually find something to report on?

For example, compare and contrast the mainstream media hockey outlets with our seemingly crazy blogger Eklund. Now Eklund's style and choice of outlet doesn't exactly scream trustworthiness but at least his general theme that the NHL and the Players' Association have been talking beyond the ~4 meetings and roughly 8 days of negotiations that have been reported seems very plausible. It seems ridiculous to me that TSN and others want us to believe that these sides have met and negotiated only 3-4 times over the past six months. Comments?

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
RiversQ said:
Personally, I'm astounded at how poor the investigative journalism has been surrounding the NHL lockout and CBA negotiations. For the most part, the hockey writers have provided little to no content and have offered only dubious opinion based columns which appear to have only inflammatory intent. Afterwards I am left to wonder how many of the guys are almost literally on the take either from their local NHL teams or from the NHLPA. The TV media has resorted to "Crossfire" style media panels with clearly staged debates involving what appears to be role playing. What is the scoop on the total lack of scoops? Anyone else wonder why the broadcast media appears to be so lazy with respect to this issue? They manage to fill gobs of airtime with meaningless blather, why not go the extra mile and actually find something to report on?

For example, compare and contrast the mainstream media hockey outlets with our seemingly crazy blogger Eklund. Now Eklund's style and choice of outlet doesn't exactly scream trustworthiness but at least his general theme that the NHL and the Players' Association have been talking beyond the ~4 meetings and roughly 8 days of negotiations that have been reported seems very plausible. It seems ridiculous to me that TSN and others want us to believe that these sides have met and negotiated only 3-4 times over the past six months. Comments?

The difference between the mainstream media and Eklund is that one has contacts within the NHL, NHLPA and other key groups in this discussion and the other has nothing but made-up lies

Reilly311

There's never anything going on. What exactly is there to talk about? I think they've met 3 times since the season hasen't started.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Chinook said:
Try a dozen times (and that's not counting the ones that were never released to the media).
Exactly, they've met a dozen times just exchanging formalities and not making any progress,what is there to talk about?

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Most of the sports media types covering the story don’t have the background to provide proper perspective on a labour negotiation. So, for example, we have articles saying the two sides are too entrenched into their positions and the season (or the NHL or hockey or "the game") is thus doomed, and then, after some time, to seemingly great surprise, new talks happen. Right now we see a very quiet time where nobody seems to be saying anything of substance and everything seems to be at a standstill, so the sports media doesn’t report anything new. However the absence of heavy artillery raining down is a very noteworthy situation and, for those that follow labour negotiations, in itself indicates substantial progress. If the sports media were less spectator reporters, and more the investigative journalist types that work in other areas of media coverage, then we would be getting more details on what is happening, though this would just be to satisfy our curiosity and not helping move things forward. I’m not disappointed in the sports media, as they are doing what they do, but I wish other media types were assigned to the story.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
I'll tell you why there are no "scoops" being discovered by the broadcast networks.
Because TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN and others don't employ reporters. They employ former players, coaches and executives who are paid to give their insight and opinion.
Kypreos, Melrose, Pang, Enblomb, Burke, Ferraro, etc are hockey people they were not trained how to enterprize stories out of nothing. How to recognize a lead? How to ask questions that will get answers that tell you more than "We played hard, " or "It's gonna take a 60 minute effort not 59 1/2 to get a win tonight."

That is why?

RiversQ

Oct 14, 2004
From reading the posts thus far, I guess I did overestimate the quality of sports reporters. officeglen makes a good point regarding having real reporters cover the story. The problem with that idea is that news organizations are already paying a bunch of hacks for marginal coverage. Can they afford to sink more resources into talented people who can actually do the job? Apparently not.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
There have been some excellent articles, thoughts about the lockout, I know because I've read some. But to be fair, this current strife is a private battle, and we arent really entitled to know exactly what they are arguing over, or the subtleties of their positions, or as some people exclaim, why wont they announce their exit strategy. I'm not sure what pulitzer prize journalism could be expected. Conway recently wrote another pretty good piece. But fans dont want to hear things exposing them which is what any good journalism would surely do.

There is 2 aspects to the coverage of this too. One is the financial aspects and business principles, which really is none of our business, but how they implement, the effects on team building, winning, greatness, are issues that the fans should express a view on I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad