Anybody Else A Ref?

ThisIsOilCountry

Jan 1, 2011
Ontario, Canada
After playing hockey for the last 10 years I decided to take up reffing as a first/part time job. I have only done a few Novice level games this year and have already found it is MUCH harder than it looks. I find I am always in the way, missing offsides, not following proper procedures, etc. Not too mention how dusty I look, with a 1500 and one of those cheap $20 Itech visors.

I figured I would make this thread for other refs to share their experiences and give some tips to others (like myself:naughty:)

So anyways, Anybody got any tips for a noobie ref?

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
been reffing for almost 8 years or so

good money, it will take a while to get the hang of, people think it is very easy adn that anybody can jump on the ice and do it but thats not the case

ryangib

May 4, 2009
i have the level 1 certification. i did my first game like 2 weeks ago. i have 3 coming up this month though. first game went well. i wouldn't worry too much about your visor, who cares what people think. make the right calls and you'll be good.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
One of the local refs who also does lines in the AHL told me to go into each game and pick one part of your game and work on improving that during the game. Don't try to improve everything at once, there's too many areas and you won't do yourself any good. Work on your coverage of offsides first, it's the thing that coaches pick up on first. If you can't handle offsides, they'll pick it up right away and the rest of your calls will lack credibility.

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
I'm in my 4th Season as a Linesman. Generally Pee wee, Bantam and Midget.

Does anyone else agree that The Highest level of Pee Wee, or the 11-12 Age bracket, has the WORST parents?

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Id never do it, and I praise the guys that do put up with all the BS that comes with it. Although there are those few I wish didn't get into it....=p

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
Did for one year but I didn't leave because of the yelling (which never was really directed at me but at my partner who was a complete idiot) I left because since I was younger than my partner, I was the linesmen and I got fed up with him missing so much I called a penalty, well he freaked at me and I quit after that game because I couldn't stand him.

It is harder than it looks but sometimes I wonder how they can miss a obvious call.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm a level one, back after 8 years and I've found it tough getting back into the swing of things with it. Definitely enjoy it but I'm only doing beer leagues now, want nothing to do with any kids hockey just because I'm not interested in dealing with the psycho parents that are at the rink.

For any newbies just stay at it and make a concentrated effort on what you feel your lacking in, but 1 aspect at a time otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy out there. Just stay with it and in time everything will come to you.

dannythekid

Nov 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I am a level 2 coach and have been contemplating getting into the referee side of the game. I just do Squirt house league right now, but I know how vicious some of the parents can be, and that scares me a little bit.

However, I am not afraid to put a parent in their place, I see the game fair and I would call it as fair as possible so that the kids can learn. Maybe that will be my goal of 2011.

sjmay*

Been an official now for over 20 years, everything from minor youth, to National Championships, including juniors and college.

Wouldn't trade the experience for anything, met a lot of interesting and good people through officiating,

Now mainly stick to the beer leagues, don't have the patience for kids hockey, and I can yell back at the meatheads in the beer league.

sjmay*

After playing hockey for the last 10 years I decided to take up reffing as a first/part time job. I have only done a few Novice level games this year and have already found it is MUCH harder than it looks. I find I am always in the way, missing offsides, not following proper procedures, etc. Not too mention how dusty I look, with a 1500 and one of those cheap $20 Itech visors.

I figured I would make this thread for other refs to share their experiences and give some tips to others (like myself:naughty:)

First tip,

Never be afraid to admit you made a mistake. Don't let them push you around, but if you know you screwed up, tell the coach you screwed up and will try better next time, it stops them in their tracks there isn't anywhere they can after that, and if they do, warn them once, if they keep it up, ding them for 2.

Once you give a warning, you have to follow through, or the game will get away from you.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
First tip,

Never be afraid to admit you made a mistake. Don't let them push you around, but if you know you screwed up, tell the coach you screwed up and will try better next time, it stops them in their tracks there isn't anywhere they can after that, and if they do, warn them once, if they keep it up, ding them for 2.

Once you give a warning, you have to follow through, or the game will get away from you.

Great tip. I would add too that you are out there to make the game fair for both teams. Too many refs think that making it fair is calling the same amount of penalties for each team, it is calling it by the rules and some teams will have five times the penalties as others.

Good luck and stay confident.

sjmay*

Great tip. I would add too that you are out there to make the game fair for both teams. Too many refs think that making it fair is calling the same amount of penalties for each team, it is calling it by the rules and some teams will have five times the penalties as others.

Good luck and stay confident.

I can't even fathom that, I can't even keep track of the score, that's on the scoreboard, let alone keep track of penalties I called etc, just call the game as you see it, don't be afraid of the truth, "I didn't see it" "I didn't think it was a worthy call, etc"

Having said that, once you set your standard in your mind, keep to it and have your first penalty demonstrate it.

Nothing is worst than a tight weak first call, it set's the wrong tone. On the flip side, calling it tight to begin with allows you to unwind the string slowly to see if the teams will play, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, but a solid 1st penalty will let them know where you are at.

Also, talk, a lot, always, to the players, ie, "too much stick, watch it blue, watch the hand, watch the stick, enough, etc" be a chatter box, eventually the players will get it drilled in their heads that you are watching them and they won't be inclined to do much after....they do hear you utter the little things...

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
One of the toughest things you will encounter is handling an obnoxious coach. Too many times I've seen young officials eaten alive by a coach just because of the age difference and their fear of tossing an obnoxious adult. Don't ever let a coach manhandle you, or even worse, a young partner. Know when to warn the coach, when to give him 2 and when to toss him. I watched a game with two new officials that got eaten alive by a coach and they did nothing to stop him. At least one of them quit after the game, maybe both. Bad scheduling to put the two together, but an example of what a coach can do to a young and inexperienced ref.

ThisIsOilCountry

Jan 1, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the tips guys! I am scheduled to do a game thursday and it is my goal to make sure I don't miss any of the more linesman type calls such as offsides, icing, etc.

That being said, I beleive I am with another young ref for that game, although it is Novice girls i will remember to stand my ground and not take any crap to a certain degree.

One other question, mainly about the equipment of a referee. Right now I don't have official referee pants (I am just using black warm up pants, they look real from a distance), and I don't have any protective equipment like shin pads, elbow pads and a girdle. The reason being the stuff is so expensive. Pants are atleast 90 dollars at the pro hockey life, and the ref shin pads are more money than regular hockey pads. My question being is it ok if I were to eventually buy a cheap pair of shin pads like Bauer One15s or something rather than the CCM Ref shin pads? Could I do the same for elbow pads? Finally, I found it cheaper to buy a football or Roller Hockey girdle, could I just use that instead of the official CCM Ref stuff?

sjmay*

Thanks for the tips guys! I am scheduled to do a game thursday and it is my goal to make sure I don't miss any of the more linesman type calls such as offsides, icing, etc.

That being said, I beleive I am with another young ref for that game, although it is Novice girls i will remember to stand my ground and not take any crap to a certain degree.

One other question, mainly about the equipment of a referee. Right now I don't have official referee pants (I am just using black warm up pants, they look real from a distance), and I don't have any protective equipment like shin pads, elbow pads and a girdle. The reason being the stuff is so expensive. Pants are atleast 90 dollars at the pro hockey life, and the ref shin pads are more money than regular hockey pads. My question being is it ok if I were to eventually buy a cheap pair of shin pads like Bauer One15s or something rather than the CCM Ref shin pads? Could I do the same for elbow pads? Finally, I found it cheaper to buy a football or Roller Hockey girdle, could I just use that instead of the official CCM Ref stuff?

Use what's comfortable, I've done Juniors and college with nothing more than shin pads which are actually baseball umpire pads, and elbow pads.

Pants, you are going to want to get, you can probably get the cheaper online.

Do a google search for refs warehouse.com I don't know the actual site address, but it's a good start for equipment.

DJnet65

Aug 29, 2005
San Jose, CA
There are women Refs, there are actually quite a few in the rinks I play at.

If you are in the US:

To start go here:

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_USAHockey.aspx?Nav=OF&ID=19976

Then contact your local rinks and/or local Hockey league and find out who the referee games scheduler is.

Contact your scheduler and tell them you are interesed in refereeing. Then you will need to join USA Hockey and the scheduler should be able to tell when and where the next REferee seminar is.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Assuming you're a fellow, make sure you wear a cup, doesn't matter what age the kids are. Sticks to the jewels are always felt.

sjmay*

Where in Ontario are you? Just saw that...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

hockeygiant and hockeymonkey have some ref gear on clearence, plus check out officialswarehouse.com

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA

Reffed part-time many years ago when I was still in high school. Did mostly youth league games. I'd like to think I'd be a much better ref now, but I have no intention of going back to it. Happy just playing in my spare time.

Two tips I did learn from that experience and my subsequent years on the ice as a player:

1) There were times where I wasn't sure what to call in a given situation and hesitated to make a borderline call. If you ever find yourself thinking something deserves to be a penalty but aren't quite sure what to call it, just go with either interference or roughing. Those are basic catch-alls.

2) When a game turns lopsided (7-goal lead, 10 minutes to play) a lot of refs have a tendency to put their whistles away so as to get the game over with faster and get home. If anything, I think in those situations you would be better served to INCREASE the calls you make. If you see a borderline call, blow the whistle anyway. Awarding a power play to either team in a lopsided game won't affect the outcome, but a borderline penalty that goes uncalled in a lopsided game often has the potential to turn the game ugly. You should come down particularly harsh on borderline physical plays like whacking the goalie after the whistle or riding a guy into the boards, even if it's a situation you might not have called in the second period.

A lot of refs seem to think that making calls will make the game drag out. To the contrary, I find that the lopsided games where the refs put their whistles away take longer to finish because you start getting players jousting after every rush, shoving after every stoppage, and a lot more fighting to sort out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad