Any word on when Lessard will sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Now that UMD is eliminated from the NCAA, I was wondering if anyone has heard any news on Junior Lessard. I assume he'll be hotly persued in the next few days by alot of teams. Any word on who he may be signing with or when?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
According to the UMD broadcasters (I caught the UMD/DU game via webcast before I came home to watch it on tape), an unspecified NHL team has already won the Lessard sweepstakes. Apparently the deal was negotiated back on Monday and all that's needed to seal the deal is Lessard's signature on the dotted line.

This is just what I heard on the webcast. Sorry if I can't give anymore info, but that's all I've got.

leafaholix*

I saw the highlights of the Denver/UMD game on The Score and Lessard looks like he's pretty talented... and bigger then what's listed on the Minnesota-Duluth website.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I sure hope the deal wasn't negotiated prior to his NCAA season being complete... luckily they didn't win but technically he'd jepordize his eligiblity by negotiating a deal (and having an agent do it).

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
As far as I know, you can negotiate all you want -- as long as you don't officially sign or have an agent while you're negotiating. It's not at all uncommon (and not against the rules) for teams and players to talk informally about contract terms while they're still in school.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Blatny Spears said:
As far as I know, you can negotiate all you want -- as long as you don't officially sign or have an agent while you're negotiating. It's not at all uncommon (and not against the rules) for teams and players to talk informally about contract terms while they're still in school.

here's hoping the rangers sign him :yo:

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Blatny Spears said:
For those that have seen him, is he anything like Mark Hartigan? Most of what I've read about Lessard makes him sound like Hartigan: average skater, booming shot, etc.
He's much bigger than Hartigan. I watched him on TV yesterday, I wouldn't have put those two players together at all.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Blatny Spears said:

If the PLAYER negotiates, it's fine but if there is an AGENT negotiating on the player's behalf then he's in violation of the rules.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
When they talked to him on HNIC last night between periods of the Habs-Bruins game he said that his Agent was talking to several teams, no clear winner as of yet. I would imagine he would want to go to a team where there isn't a lot of top end prospects in his way of making the NHL club and a younger team that is rebuilding.

Teams like Columbus, Minnisota, Edmonton, Anaheim, Washington, Phoneix...probably most of the non-playoff teams and teams like Montreal (deep in prospects, but all younger than Lessard) and Nashville.

It's all up in the air, no real front runner as of yet.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
Does anyone think Toronto might sign him? :dunno: Half the team will probably retire in the next 2 or 3 years so he might get a roster spot.

turnbuckle*

Bob McKenzie said last night that at least a dozen teams were interested in signing him, prominent among them dallas, Toronto and Montreal.

leafaholix*

turnbuckle said:
Bob McKenzie said last night that at least a dozen teams were interested in signing him, prominent among them dallas, Toronto and Montreal.
Can anyone confirm this?

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
RE-HABS said:
When they talked to him on HNIC last night between periods of the Habs-Bruins game he said that his Agent was talking to several teams, no clear winner as of yet. I would imagine he would want to go to a team where there isn't a lot of top end prospects in his way of making the NHL club and a younger team that is rebuilding.

The first part of that statement is true of St. Louis now; the second part will probably be true after this season.

Plus, St. Louis has a history of signing college free agents in recent years -- Jeff Panzer, Peter Sejna, Mark Rycroft, Dale Clarke.

I'd take Lessard in the Blues' system. In a New York minute.

PrussianBlue

leafaholix*

ncaa_hobey_hattrick.jpg

Hopefully the Leafs make a seriously bid on Junior.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
gkrangers said:
If he signs with the Rangers he is on the opening night roster guaranteed.

Heck....he could be named Captain.

I know in another thread that someone mentioned that a deal with Boston was close, but it was more of a word of mouth thing than actual documentation.......but it was a non Bruin fan that posted it. I know that Lessard is a huge Neely fan, so perhaps Cam stopped by to say "hi" during the Frozen Four. It makes sense for the Bruins, we are thin at forward prospects, we have traded our first rounder and one of our seconds so it would soften the blow there, plus we have no draftees that need to be signed.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well...as far as forward prospects...the Avalanche are nearly depleated.

Svatos and McCormick is all I can think of...I'll count Moore since he started in Hershey and earned his spot. I don't think I'll take Brigley, as he is in his mid twenties *though I do like the style of game he plays*

So, if he's looking for a depleted prospect pool, The Avalanche, St. Louis are just some of the teams that seem a little thin in the cupboard.

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
KSGuy2325 said:
Well...as far as forward prospects...the Avalanche are nearly depleated.

Svatos and McCormick is all I can think of...I'll count Moore since he started in Hershey and earned his spot. I don't think I'll take Brigley, as he is in his mid twenties *though I do like the style of game he plays*

So, if he's looking for a depleted prospect pool, The Avalanche, St. Louis are just some of the teams that seem a little thin in the cupboard.

The Avs, Leafs and Blues could really use him. It will come down to money though. There is an outside chance that he may choose Montreal due to his background but I doubt it. It will be a business decision first and foremost. I got the sense in one of his interviews that he knows he's about to cash in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->