Proposal: Any way we can make a deal Edmon would consider?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Potentially you could still grab Strome at 4. Just have the Leafs think we're taking Marner or Hanifin at 3, and if they want either, they need to trade up.

Someone offered the Leafs 2nd and Gauthier to swap, I'd happily take that.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Wonder what it would take to get Murray to give us Eichel. If anything.

Given the way things have gone right now, I only see the following as the best chance(but still a very slim chance of any of this happening) to get 1 of these 2 players.

1. If 1 or both of these players demanded a trade where their trade value would go down. Even then neither player could end up in Arizona.

2. If the Oilers decide to pick someone other than McDavid or Eichel at the 1OA. Then Buffalo drafts McDavid and then we draft Eichel and all is right in the hockey world or at least the draft anyway. This would be a better chance of happening than the 1st possibility I've mention but still very slim as both options are still very slim.

What would I do as the GM of the Coyotes? Seeing that I believe the franchise is truly in a nothing to lose mess with regards to relocation, I would probably pay the price to get McDavid(should a trade for him be possible). If the team still ends up getting relocated, at least I made a move I felt was the best chance possible to avoid relocation.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The only way we could possibly even open a conversation with Edmonton about trading us 1OA is by bringing up OEL, and ironically if we traded OEL we'd need Hanifin more than anyone else. And McDavid in AZ with no defense is about what Edmonton is going to offer him.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The only way we could possibly even open a conversation with Edmonton about trading us 1OA is by bringing up OEL, and ironically if we traded OEL we'd need Hanifin more than anyone else. And McDavid in AZ with no defense is about what Edmonton is going to offer him.

True but at the same time successful teams don't rely solely on the draft or free agency to win. If getting McDavid can help make Arizona a top destination for free agents, then getting who we need via free agency shouldn't be a problem. As much as it would suck to not make the playoffs for sometime(which is going to happen no matter what), if at least the business side can be fixed for us with the help of McDavid, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
True but at the same time successful teams don't rely solely on the draft or free agency to win. If getting McDavid can help make Arizona a top destination for free agents, then getting who we need via free agency shouldn't be a problem. As much as it would suck to not make the playoffs for sometime, if at least the business side can be fixed for us with the help of McDavid, then I'm all for it.

The problem is that nothing gets fixed unless McDavid delivers on his promise. Not in this market, anyway.

Because McDavid is a huge, huge hype monster in traditional markets, the idea that he could immediately, instantly solve every franchise problem we have is very tempting and popular. The problem is, nobody in the Phoenix market outside of hockey hardcores knows who McDavid is or, indeed, cares - most likely because they pay more attention to other sports where high draft picks are still held up to a "What have you done for me lately?" standard.

I actually believe - honestly - that Max Domi is worth more in terms of marketability in Phoenix right now than McDavid would be. The hockey hardcore in my head violently disagrees because I've seen McDavid's sizzle reel, but it's hard to argue that Phoenix as a whole doesn't miss the Roenick-style player with loads of talent and attitude - which is what Max is.

At any rate, in this market, nothing but winning sells. There's too much going on otherwise to market anything else. If we got McDavid and we sucked, nobody would show up even if he potted 5 goals in a 6-5 loss.

And I think we've all seen what veterans think of young phenoms who have done nothing on the NHL level other than show up to press conferences. Hell, Doan's comments and attitude alone should be an indicator of what free agents would expect - a winning team, not a headliner kid.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I know its ridiculously unlikely. but what's the most you would give up for McDavid?

I love the Kid. OEL + Hanzal + Chi 1st is the Max I would offer. And it would get turned down im pretty sure

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
From an Edmonton Fan:

Arizona trades the 3OA to Edmonton for Draisaitl and Pitts 1st rounder

I Think this is Intriguing. Thoughts?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From an Edmonton Fan:

I wouldn't do it. Draisaitl only has +1 year of development over the kid we'd draft at 3OA and moreover has been in Edmonton's Hell System for that year. The dropoff from 3OA to Pitts' 1st is significant.

Moreover I'm not going to do any favors for a team that lucked into McDavid. They'll just have to make do with the superstar kid. :sarcasm:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
From an Edmonton Fan:

The one thing about the Coyotes is that they rarely get fleeced. They won't bite. If you want the 3OA you would need to give up RNH and Yak I would think.

Fallenone

Mar 29, 2012
True but at the same time successful teams don't rely solely on the draft or free agency to win. If getting McDavid can help make Arizona a top destination for free agents, then getting who we need via free agency shouldn't be a problem. As much as it would suck to not make the playoffs for sometime(which is going to happen no matter what), if at least the business side can be fixed for us with the help of McDavid, then I'm all for it.

Not sure the Owners want to spend a lot of money on Free Agents. Or have the money to spend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad