OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Fair enough. I don't recall the actual play. Was the ref looking at it when he ripped it away from Nylander or just afterwards while he was carry 2 sticks? FWIW I did a quick look at the rulebook and carrying 2 sticks isn't illegal, but presumably he could have gotten a holding the stick penalty for taking it from Nylander like you said.

Yeah, I think it's only illegal if you play the puck while you have two sticks (obviously this ignores the holding the stick part). I remember years ago, Yushkevich went to get the goalie's stick behind the net as the play went the other way, but while he was doing it the other team dumped the puck back in. He stopped the puck as it rattled around the boards, but he had already picked up the goalie's stick, so he got a penalty... I want to say for "illegal equipment".

Reactions: Bluelines

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry if this has already been answered but what does ‘regs jobbing’ mean? Never heard that expression before.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Best view of the Nylander non call:

Takes a full 2 hand slash right on the hands to prevent a goal on a wide open net and then gets dragged down with no call and the broadcast acts like it never even happened! Don't even get a replay on what be the non call of the year so far.

This one bugged me more than all of them I think, especially in light of all the excuse making by our "objective" hometown media that our team should have known better that to make stick checks too close to players gloves on other bullcrap calls(its all our fault....so Toronto media).....yet there we have it. An actual slash that may have broken hands/fingers that prevented a sure goal late in the third period and its disappeared down some memory hole. I'd actually like to hear Bowen's call on this because I'm sure he wouldn't have have spent half the rest of the game talking about icings.

The NHL only seems to make changes based on pressure and I'm not sure theres much pressure on them coming from a team that has the least biased announcers in the game (they try so hard not to be biased and it shows) and a Toronto hockey media that is part tabloid and part masochistic drivel. Neither of these things puts a lick of pressure on the NHL to look out for our team really and when they are getting hosed bad (as the eye test and numbers both agree), we get this relativistic nonsense about it affecting "both teams" or "the whole league". The team with the most biased announcers and media has to be Boston right?....and they get away with murder. Our supposed "sophistication" sure doesn't help us, thats for sure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Best view of the Nylander non call:

Takes a full 2 hand slash right on the hands to prevent a goal on a wide open net and then gets dragged down with no call and the broadcast acts like it never even happened! Don't even get a replay on what be the non call of the year so far.

This one bugged me more than all of them I think, especially in light of all the excuse making by our "objective" hometown media that our team should have known better that to make stick checks too close to players gloves on other bullcrap calls(its all our fault....so Toronto media).....yet there we have it. An actual slash that may have broken hands/fingers that prevented a sure goal late in the third period and its disappeared down some memory hole. I'd actually like to hear Bowen's call on this because I'm sure he wouldn't have have spent half the rest of the game talking about icings.

The NHL only seems to make changes based on pressure and I'm not sure theres much pressure on them coming from a team that has the least biased announcers in the game (they try so hard not to be biased and it shows) and a Toronto hockey media that is part tabloid and part masochistic drivel. Neither of these things puts a lick of pressure on the NHL to look out for our team really and when they are getting hosed bad (as the eye test and numbers both agree), we get this relativistic nonsense about it affecting "both teams" or "the whole league". The team with the most biased announcers and media has to be Boston right?....and they get away with murder. Our supposed "sophistication" sure doesn't help us, thats for sure.

Right on bro. Nice post. The media is right in the Nhl’s back pocket. Then people wonder why others say media is propaganda and owned by big business etc. I’m thinking they are owned and Bettman controls the broadcast media through the ranking CEO’s of sportsnet or Tsn. Pretty gutless and controlled without doubt. They get nothing from me in terms of monies. I canceled all my subscriptions. I have my free CBC sports app for hockey night and thats it. No more paid subscription mobile apps. Thats harsh on my part and wouldn’t expect many people to be as stubborn as myself. It’s because of the way the Leafs get hosed by the League and even Bettman gives leaf fans jabs. I’m giving my jab back. I wish the Leafs would just get their own sports app for their team and it wouldn’t matter where you are in the country or the world you could watch every game. With our own broadcasters. Sportsnet and Tsn are jokes. I have zero use for them.
The leafs should seriously walk away from the main networks and sell their own subscription app. Hell this Canadian division shows how damn good it is watching Canadian teams.
The announcers are jokes yes. Refs job us every dog gone game and the commissioner mocks us. Us Canadians fund that g damn League through supporting our teams. Bettmans lap dog franchised are corporate welfare recipients. Lol i had it man.

Reactions: Auston 316

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Think its more about incompetency but it really does feel like we're the Barry Horowitz's of the hockey world according to the refs ATM.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks, never heard that expression before.
So the feeling is there is a conspiracy by the refs against the Leafs? That seems pretty out there, IMO

Just feels like it as of late (and the numbers saw we're getting hit worst in the league atm)

I think it has more to do an overall collapse in ref competency over the last decade with stupid instructions to the refs that they abandon half way through the season(and other inconsistencies), awful game management, the watering down of good refs with the 2 ref system, no accountability, etc.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Theres no chance its a conspiracy particularly against the Leafs. The Zebras are just plain awful is the problem. This could happen to any team for an extended period, any time, just by chance.

Think of it this way. The refs screwed up the game two days ago hard. Everyone was complaining.

How the hell do you not call Soup on that (speaking of wrestling moves) diving one armed tackle by Nurse? I would hope the ref had a strip tore off him but I don't see any evidence of that happening....and I don't like how our media doesn't call it out which doesn't help either. It's the worst conspiracy ever if they were gunning specifically at the Leafs.

Maybe the refs needed a training camp too or something.

Reactions: banks

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Meh. I've been seeing missed calls and game management from refs since the 80s against the Leafs.

It'll never change. Our sole purpose in the NHL is to get jobbed by the refs.

Hard to blame the kids playing and tell them to watch every move.

Half the calls against us are absolute farce. Look at all these calls posted. There are also hundreds of others that go way back.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
While a lot were upset with Nylander for that penalty last night, it looked to me that he was being interfered with as he chased down the puck carrier. Then I was happy he threw the guy to the ice!
honestly, that's how I saw it too. The level of interference ran on Nylander in that play was similar to the level Holl ran the game prior. essentially a call that could go either way. Nylander definitely deserved a penalty on that play though as he did grab the defenders shoulder as he was working his way around him. just unfortunate. It just sucks when they see that play, and not super obvious ones

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
For me it is call the cross checks. That Montreal game was nauseating watching Weber and Chiarot cross check away at our NHL superstar in front of the net who should be protected.

Auston Matthews takes series of cross checks in front of Canadiens net - Sportsnet.ca
in the Montreal game the refs also didn't call 3 blatant penalties on the Leafs -high stick/trip/Mathews knee on Anderson

in the recent Edm game they should have called the grab on Mik but they also should have called JT hooking the Oilers player off the puck which led to our first goal

the refs are far from perfect but the problem is how many penalties do you want called during the game , for us this season i guess the answer would be call them all since we have a red hot pp at the moment and our even strength play has been mediocre

Last edited:

Smittey

Jun 22, 2011
I bet someone would get a lot of views if they started a Youtube channel compiling all of these little clips. Bonus views for dissecting the clip a bit ala Steve Dangle. Call the channel "Zebras hate Leafs" or something.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks, never heard that expression before.
So the feeling is there is a conspiracy by the refs against the Leafs? That seems pretty out there, IMO

It's possible I've been using the term wrong my whole life, but I don't thinjk it requires a conspiracy. I use jobbed as a synonym for "screwed over"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->