OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
There is absolutely zero consistency in reffing in the NHL right now. Interference is okay at all points in the game except when the refs need an excuse to make up call or manage the game? it's completely bonkers. Both Bruins series were criminal. They were allowed to completely unashamedly cross the line and when the Leafs fought back they were penalized and suspended. It just happened in the Calgary game too. Why was Holl given the only penalty for retaliating when Tkachuk retaliated two times himself? They want to keep games clean and fair but allow players like Tkachuk to punch people wearing protection for their orbital bone, clearly on purpose, multiple times in the game? Doesn't that type of thing go against player safety?

I think more or less refs try really hard to not look like they're favoring the Leafs that they are heavily in the opposite direction by calling the Leafs tight and allowing almost anything to go against them. Bruins are the opposite, they are heavily favored regardless of anything due to their owner. I despise Vancouver but they were robbed in much the same way the Leafs were in their series.

Harry Neale used to say "It's always been amazing to me that they only see and penalize the retaliation"

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Probably an unpopular opinion here. And I will preface this by saying I did not watch the NASH vs. DET game. I have only heard the clip of Tim Peel. My thoughts are he was looking to make up for a non-call earlier in the game. It was not a game management decision to give a team down 3 a chance in a game. It was a call that should have been made earlier that wasn't. This happens at all levels of the game and in every sport. We ask for the same things in our favor when a call is missed on the Leafs. We consider the miss a non issue when the less egregious makeup call is made thereafter. Shit happens in beer league, and every level before that. Think the league did Peel dirty personally. Let the guy go out on his own terms. I'd be curious to hear the perspectives from both NASH and DET. My assumption is they would feel the punishment did not fit the crime. As do I

My complaints this year have been when the Leafs have a 2 goal lead or more, they seem to not get any calls. Allowing the opponents to play virtually reckless. In contrast, any minor infraction gets called on us. To me that is unacceptable. That is clearly a disadvantage, and has at times made a closer game than what was truly the case. The refs have been hellbent on hiding their whistles on the Leafs exclusively. Makeup calls do not sway the trajectory of the game, as they should have had that advantage on the missed call. Game management is giving an advantage to a team that has a disadvantage on the scoreboard, even though they deserve to be at that disadvantage. It rewards teams for being behind. I don't agree with that. Those officials need to be disciplined in the fashion that Tim was. Im not sure that was the case here just by looking at the game notes

I hear what your saying bro, but the philosophy is flawed, everyone knows the law of coulda shoulda woulda, in that you can never change the past.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I remember during that last series with Boston it looked like Chara was getting exposed by speed. Then a few games into the series Chara was again allowed to do whatever amounts of interference he wished and looked like a major force. The refereeing has a major impact on the game. Players with experience read how the game is getting called and adjust to it. Losing gracefully while playing "your game" is something a lot of skilled teams have done in the past. The highly skilled teams who have closed the deal in the past know that sometimes they have get ugly and play a game they'd prefer not play.

That would be fine if it was consistent.

The issue is that they may let Chara get away with interference but then you do the same thing and don't get away with it. The other team can clutch and grab your speed players but if you do it the other way around (i.e. to Pastrnak, Bergeron, or Marchand) it gets called. Happened in both of our series against the Bruins.

Maybe don't reward the inferior team that should lose because they can't keep up? Why should the Leafs have to resort to a lower standard of play because the other team refused to keep up with the times? If they want to play slow, then the fast teams can skate circles around them or they can take a ton of penalties and hope they can kill them off.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
That would be fine if it was consistent.

The issue is that they may let Chara get away with interference but then you do the same thing and don't get away with it. The other team can clutch and grab your speed players but if you do it the other way around (i.e. to Pastrnak, Bergeron, or Marchand) it gets called. Happened in both of our series against the Bruins.

Maybe don't reward the inferior team that should lose because they can't keep up? Why should the Leafs have to resort to a lower standard of play because the other team refused to keep up with the times? If they want to play slow, then the fast teams can skate circles around them or they can take a ton of penalties and hope they can kill them off.

Amen brother.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So who agrees that the NHL manage outcomes when they can?

The second part of this is, why do they try to manage outcomes, what is the benefit?
In their eyes, theyre trying to make the most entertaining product. They want to keep games close the best that they can. If its 6-1 in the 3rd with 10 mins left, people might tune out because the game is out of reach. But what if the refs give the team losing some opportunities to pull the game in reach? If that happens, then the game "overall" becomes more exciting, which causes people to stay tuned in.

At least thats what I think.

Reactions: Azazel

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
That whole thing worked gangbusters for the Leafs haters throughout the league:
1. Lost the Leafs that specific game.
2. Probably lost the Leafs that specific series.
3. Started the movement to vilify the only skilled Leaf who fought like a lion for the team. The type of player who makes a difference in the big games.

So true.

We all know cross checks to the head are bad and should be punished, but when Kadri did it you would think he went Negan on DeScrub's head.

Let's see how many of these cross checks to the head got a suspension

:mad: :rant:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Its crazy that if I'm watching a game, and a team is up 4-2 mid way through the third, I know the only PP the leading team will get will be blatant penalties that you cant ignore (puck over the glass, high stick even though that shit can go uncalled at times).

Really takes the joy out of the game for me.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
You need look no further than Bettmans own words, he wants parity in the league, how do you get parity? By managing the game so every game is close. If you truly called the game as it happened teams like Toronto who are small, soft, speedy and skilled would dominate the big knuckle draggers but because Uncle Gary does not want really really bad teams and really really good teams, that is bad for business, fans leave, sponsors leave markets with bad teams, you have to fix the games so everyone looks like they have a fighting chance every game. Everything that is done in this league is for one purpose, to turn the NHL from a gate revenue driven league into a NFL copycat big US national TV contract revenue generating league.

Yes - the league wants parity - almost every league has it. To think they are trying to achieve that by "game fixing" with officials employing game management through calls (mandated by the league even?) is borderline conspiracy theory territory. How do they get their parity - salary cap/floor/expansion draft

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The NFL seems to be doing great even though the Patriots won almost every year. The NBA is doing great despite the formation and domination of super teams. Maybe the NHL has this backwards.

People want to see greatness. Not watered-down "parity" where nothing matters because the refs are going to take your advantage away anyway.

It's good to have teams that dominate, it makes other teams to have to compete at a higher level. I don't; think Uncle Gary would have a problem with Arizona, LA, NYR or Boston being a dynasty but he would have a massive problem with Edmonton or Winnipeg becoming a dynasty.

Reactions: therealkoho

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes - the league wants parity - almost every league has it. To think they are trying to achieve that by "game fixing" with officials employing game management through calls (mandated by the league even?) is borderline conspiracy theory territory. How do they get their parity - salary cap/floor/expansion draft

Call it responsible asset management by Gary. ;)

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
It's not a theory, there is documented proof that teams that take more penalties also get more calls their way AKA game management. The Leafs take less penalties and are therefore given one of the lowest amount of powerplay opportunities in the league vs Lightning who are at the top of league in powerplays for AND against.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Well, I think the point is that almost every NHL ref does it... to put this solely on Peel is a bit of a joke right.

And those who would not do it, prob were tagged as difficult to work with and had a short career.

Such as Dean Warren.

Like I said he actually hurt his case bringing that to the public eye.

Reactions: wingman75

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
That whole thing worked gangbusters for the Leafs haters throughout the league:
1. Lost the Leafs that specific game.
2. Probably lost the Leafs that specific series.
3. Started the movement to vilify the only skilled Leaf who fought like a lion for the team. The type of player who makes a difference in the big games.

Make no mistake a lot LeaFlanders, especially the "no fighting, fighting is bad and yucky and Don Cherry stinks" crowd were very loud about the team needing to remove Kadri and his element from the team because "we don't like what he did" and "it hurt the team which he keeps on doing" and "what he did no longer belongs in the game" and basically drank their own little cup of sanctimonious cancellation whine and with the utmost of pretention continuously shared it with the rest of use whether we wanted it or not!

/end rant

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Make no mistake a lot LeaFlanders, especially the "no fighting, fighting is bad and yucky and Don Cherry stinks" crowd were very loud about the team needing to remove Kadri and his element from the team because "we don't like what he did" and "it hurt the team which he keeps on doing" and "what he did no longer belongs in the game" and basically drank their own little cup of sanctimonious cancellation whine and with the utmost of pretention continuously shared it with the rest of use whether we wanted it or not!

/end rant
Are you sure thats enough. Kind of thinking you should have continued ha. I was just starting to like it and you stopped :)

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Simmonds shafted by a ignored call after a cheap one called on Rielly. Six men on for ottawa for a shift ha. Gross reffing
How can four officials (and the LEAFS for that matter) not see 7 red jerseys on the ice for that long? Boggles the mind. And you’re surprised the ref didn’t see the trip? And, don’t forget the Mikey goal that was originally called off. This is not just incompetence, it’s a blatant attempt to screw the Leafs over. And then the losers cover their microphones when talking to Simmonds. Pathetic.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How can four officials (and the LEAFS for that matter) not see 7 red jerseys on the ice for that long? Boggles the mind. And you’re surprised the ref didn’t see the trip? And, don’t forget the Mikey goal that was originally called off. This is not just incompetence, it’s a blatant attempt to screw the Leafs over. And then the losers cover their microphones when talking to Simmonds. Pathetic.
Both screwed us tonight or tried to hahahaaaaa :)
Today’s NHL Referees and Linesmen – 3/25/21
thats the power trippers of the night right in there

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario

/end rant

Kadri was moved for reasons that are more than just his carelessness with his stick cost our team. If you look at what he did as a measure of sticking up for himself and the team, and not crossing the line (which cross checking a guy in the head is) then debrusk is also innocent. you learn from a very young age in hockey that the refs do only see the retaliation. It’s also easy to ignore getting run all over the ice if you focus on putting the puck in the net.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kadri was moved for reasons that are more than just his carelessness with his stick cost our team. If you look at what he did as a measure of sticking up for himself and the team, and not crossing the line (which cross checking a guy in the head is) then debrusk is also innocent. you learn from a very young age in hockey that the refs do only see the retaliation. It’s also easy to ignore getting run all over the ice if you focus on putting the puck in the net.

one supposes one would have had to play the game in order to become a repository of such intimate and vital knowledge

but I do digress, as earlier in the thread I wrote;
Harry Neale used to say "It's always been amazing to me that they only see and penalize the retaliation"​

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nothing much to talk about that game except Simmonds losing it on them. It took a scoring opportunity away because it was looking like a covid party with nobody over that side if Simmer could have got around without that trip. Thats a easy call to see and he seen it. He did definitely ignore it
Who’s responsible for checking how many men are on the ice there linesmen... that was incompetence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad