OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Probably an unpopular opinion here. And I will preface this by saying I did not watch the NASH vs. DET game. I have only heard the clip of Tim Peel. My thoughts are he was looking to make up for a non-call earlier in the game. It was not a game management decision to give a team down 3 a chance in a game. It was a call that should have been made earlier that wasn't. This happens at all levels of the game and in every sport. We ask for the same things in our favor when a call is missed on the Leafs. We consider the miss a non issue when the less egregious makeup call is made thereafter. Shit happens in beer league, and every level before that. Think the league did Peel dirty personally. Let the guy go out on his own terms. I'd be curious to hear the perspectives from both NASH and DET. My assumption is they would feel the punishment did not fit the crime. As do I

My complaints this year have been when the Leafs have a 2 goal lead or more, they seem to not get any calls. Allowing the opponents to play virtually reckless. In contrast, any minor infraction gets called on us. To me that is unacceptable. That is clearly a disadvantage, and has at times made a closer game than what was truly the case. The refs have been hellbent on hiding their whistles on the Leafs exclusively. Makeup calls do not sway the trajectory of the game, as they should have had that advantage on the missed call. Game management is giving an advantage to a team that has a disadvantage on the scoreboard, even though they deserve to be at that disadvantage. It rewards teams for being behind. I don't agree with that. Those officials need to be disciplined in the fashion that Tim was. Im not sure that was the case here just by looking at the game notes

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's not that there is a conspiracy against the leafs. It's that the conspiracy is game management, which is no go for any serious gambling future... they are not fixing games which a bookie would love they are managing which means games are closer and the favorites are no longer statistically as favorite, which is not only more complicated for changing payouts it keeps serious gamblers away.

The leafs were on the shitty end of the process. At team that is built to get more calls for, than against, due to speed, skill, etc... is balanced. So in essence teams that want to play the fine line will be punished basically the same if they did not.

If games are gonna start being called based on actual penalties, every team will be skilled and fast, like European hockey.

Every high skill, speed team will benefit and the more slower grindy teams will not.
I completely watch the leafs and put this up for the Leafs. So yes it is all about the Leafs. I would be really happy if all boards had this kind of thread cataloging all the fixing calls on their own team.
We get shafted heavier than most. I’m not done with this thread because one got caught :)

Last edited:

DarenX

Sep 21, 2019
Thinking out loud. I'm sure the NHL officials are a fraternity. Anybody think there will be a backlash now? Call everything/call nothing....as a show of solidarity?

Yes, I don't even know what I would do. The game is going to change majorly if you call everything. I think I would prefer to keep it as is, get rid of game management, keep the whistle in the pocket more than not and just be consistent on what you call.

We will never get rid of the"fairness" every team will still have people bitching and the leafs will still be the most favorite team in the nhl lol(yea right!) But it's a start.

Reactions: Marshy

DarenX

Sep 21, 2019
I completely watch the leafs and put this up for the Leafs. So yes it is all about the Leafs. I would be really happy if all boards had this mind of thread cataloging all the fixing calls on their own team.
We get shafted heavier than most. I’m not done with this thread because one got caught :)

I agree. We may have had it worse than others but boy do some other teams get the shaft also.

Game management is just not good. I don't care what logical arguments are made for it, not good in pro sports .

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The dude was a disgrace anytime he reffed a game in the Leafs Bruins series. They were always a shit show with the Bruins getting the advantage in the end.

I remember during that last series with Boston it looked like Chara was getting exposed by speed. Then a few games into the series Chara was again allowed to do whatever amounts of interference he wished and looked like a major force. The refereeing has a major impact on the game. Players with experience read how the game is getting called and adjust to it. Losing gracefully while playing "your game" is something a lot of skilled teams have done in the past. The highly skilled teams who have closed the deal in the past know that sometimes they have get ugly and play a game they'd prefer not play.

Reactions: klmdg

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well, this is the leagues opportunity to do something about it. So, if the NHL actually has an issue with this (which I don't think they do), lets see what actions they take.

We all know they deliberately do not call penalties against the Leafs opponents, and have been doing so for like 5 years... because the Leafs might score a lot on the PP? I assume that is the reason... gotta keep that false parity going right. Oh three point game, but nah just 2 points over here.

I want the league to deal with this, but I feel by benching Peel for 1 game they feel they have done their best. Tools.

You need look no further than Bettmans own words, he wants parity in the league, how do you get parity? By managing the game so every game is close. If you truly called the game as it happened teams like Toronto who are small, soft, speedy and skilled would dominate the big knuckle draggers but because Uncle Gary does not want really really bad teams and really really good teams, that is bad for business, fans leave, sponsors leave markets with bad teams, you have to fix the games so everyone looks like they have a fighting chance every game. Everything that is done in this league is for one purpose, to turn the NHL from a gate revenue driven league into a NFL copycat big US national TV contract revenue generating league.

Reactions: klmdg and wingman75

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thinking out loud. I'm sure the NHL officials are a fraternity. Anybody think there will be a backlash now? Call everything/call nothing....as a show of solidarity?
Just watch who the favourites are man. Hint. Game fixing is game fixing. It’s not game management on your taxes. Game fraud.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I agree. We may have had it worse than others but boy do some other teams get the shaft also.

Game management is just not good. I don't care what logical arguments are made for it, not good in pro sports .

Game management by the refs turns the NHL into a WWE type entertainment thing, where the outcome is not determined by the athletes. True athletics is competition vs the other guy, on equal footing with no outside influence.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

That is the bottom line bro. So many posters went out of their way to link video in this thread and I’m always so appreciative of it.
Keep the video coming Leafers. Ironically it has more teeth than some thought when we started it. Kind of cool how karma works out.

Reactions: glue and Confucius

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
There is definitely going to be a response that is for sure. Not only are they a fraternity, but Tim Peel is one of the most tenured members of that fraternity. Obviously no Mic's will be on any officials going forward. I think that's a given. But I think the response we will see for the immediate future is no more makeup calls. A miss will be a miss, and there will be zero discussions at the bench from officials to coaches. If anything, they will call absolutely everything. Just to give the middle finger to the NHL. Which likely favors us even though our PP has been shit for a bit.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Game management by the refs turns the NHL into a WWE type entertainment thing, where the outcome is not determined by the athletes. True athletics is competition vs the other guy, on equal footing with no outside influence.
For me i see this in the identical fashion as when Don King destroyed Boxing. This is destroying the game for me. I walked away from watching boxing. The Nhl is leading me down the same path watching refs fixing games. Most importantly they are putting players at risk at times ignoring hits from behind. It’s bad, I’m not walking away from my favourite sport because they are ruining it. The gutless networks knew this was going on too. They didn’t call it out. I don’t forget that. Oh now they will do a blip on it. Fans need to be on this

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Duchene called it out beautifully done. Player mans up. Are they going to screw him now? I’ll be watching.
Predators' Matt Duchene on hot mic incident: 'You gotta call the game'

Matthews cross checked in to injury with no call is mentioned in this article also.
We have all the cross checks on video right in this thread with the refs 20 feet away watching and ignoring. Yeah fans are sick of it personally speaking. I’m not done watching the regs and documenting it here for us all to see. :)

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
For me i see this in the identical fashion as when Don King destroyed Boxing. This is destroying the game for me. I walked away from watching boxing. The Nhl is leading me down the same path watching refs fixing games. Most importantly they are putting players at risk at times ignoring hits from behind. It’s bad, I’m not walking away from my favourite sport because they are ruining it. The gutless networks knew this was going on too. They didn’t call it out. I don’t forget that. Oh now they will do a blip on it. Fans need to be on this

I am, by quietly walking away and finding some other way to spend my time. I don't need to watch hockey. I enjoy watching hockey. I can always find something else on TV. Maybe a more honest sport is on TV like WWE ;)

When I see Hyman dump the puck in and the defender take out Hyman from retrieving the puck, and no call that pisses me off. When I see Matthews get multiple, multiple checks cross checks from behind and no calls that pisses me off. When I see Ennis knee Campbell in the head and no PIM or no supplementary discipline, that pisses me off.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I am, by quietly walking away and finding some other way to spend my time. I don't need to watch hockey. I enjoy watching hockey. I can always find something else on TV. Maybe a more honest sport is on TV like WWE ;)

When I see Hyman dump the puck in and the defender take out Hyman from retrieving the puck, and no call that pisses me off. When I see Matthews get multiple, multiple checks cross checks from behind and no calls that pisses me off. When I see Ennis knee Campbell in the head and no PIM or no supplementary discipline, that pisses me off.
We were a full 3 minutes discrepancy in penalty minutes to our opponents and we have the puck possession more when i started this thread. The league average on powerplays per game we were below. The league average on penalties we were above at the time. It’s really satisfying we all have a pretty detailed documentation of it in this thread as this comes out.
Hey at least we know wrestling is scripted. Now we know hockey games results are scripted. I don’t think they ref WWE matches also do they :).
They F****** might as well

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We were a full 3 minutes discrepancy in penalty minutes to our opponents and we have the puck possession more when i started this thread. The league average on powerplays per game we were below. The league average on penalties we were above at the time. It’s really satisfying we all have a pretty detailed documentation of it in this thread as this comes out.
Hey at least we know wrestling is scripted. Now we know hockey games results are scripted. I don’t think they ref WWE matches also do they :).
They F****** might as well

Uhh Wrestling is real..... :skeptic:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You need look no further than Bettmans own words, he wants parity in the league, how do you get parity? By managing the game so every game is close. If you truly called the game as it happened teams like Toronto who are small, soft, speedy and skilled would dominate the big knuckle draggers but because Uncle Gary does not want really really bad teams and really really good teams, that is bad for business, fans leave, sponsors leave markets with bad teams, you have to fix the games so everyone looks like they have a fighting chance every game. Everything that is done in this league is for one purpose, to turn the NHL from a gate revenue driven league into a NFL copycat big US national TV contract revenue generating league.

The NFL seems to be doing great even though the Patriots won almost every year. The NBA is doing great despite the formation and domination of super teams. Maybe the NHL has this backwards.

People want to see greatness. Not watered-down "parity" where nothing matters because the refs are going to take your advantage away anyway.

Reactions: therealkoho

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What the NHL did to the Leafs in that series Petrielli is talking about, that allowed Boston all that advantage(when they didn't need it, they were evenly matched) was shameful

I started noticing this kind of "garbage" a very long time ago, there was some happening in the 1 referee system(Andy Van Hellmond was the worst, Kerry Fraser that lying dog wasn't far behind), but once they started the two ref system it really started getting out of hand. I can't tell you how many times I was given the old "tin foil hat" comments by other peeps.

a guy I used to play hockey with ended up being a long time NHL official, I used to needle him about it after he retired, but like an old Leafs GM used to say, he could neither confirm nor deny!

Reactions: DivInit23

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
There is absolutely zero consistency in reffing in the NHL right now. Interference is okay at all points in the game except when the refs need an excuse to make up call or manage the game? it's completely bonkers. Both Bruins series were criminal. They were allowed to completely unashamedly cross the line and when the Leafs fought back they were penalized and suspended. It just happened in the Calgary game too. Why was Holl given the only penalty for retaliating when Tkachuk retaliated two times himself? They want to keep games clean and fair but allow players like Tkachuk to punch people wearing protection for their orbital bone, clearly on purpose, multiple times in the game? Doesn't that type of thing go against player safety?

I think more or less refs try really hard to not look like they're favoring the Leafs that they are heavily in the opposite direction by calling the Leafs tight and allowing almost anything to go against them. Bruins are the opposite, they are heavily favored regardless of anything due to their owner. I despise Vancouver but they were robbed in much the same way the Leafs were in their series.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Anthony is on point with this take.

That whole thing worked gangbusters for the Leafs haters throughout the league:
1. Lost the Leafs that specific game.
2. Probably lost the Leafs that specific series.
3. Started the movement to vilify the only skilled Leaf who fought like a lion for the team. The type of player who makes a difference in the big games.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So who agrees that the NHL manage outcomes when they can?

The second part of this is, why do they try to manage outcomes, what is the benefit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->