Any updates on NHL's deal with Canadian TV networks?

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Any word on whether or not CBC will lose its exclusivity to show games in Canada on Saturdays?

My brother lives in Calgary and has NHL Centre Ice.

On Saturday, November 2, the Jets played the Hawks on HNIC.

The game was shown locally in Winnipeg, but, it was blocked on NHL Centre Ice.

The only way my brother could watch the game was to go to the CBC website.

He called Shaw Cable and was told it was a rights issue with CBC.

One of the things that royally pisses me off with Center Ice is that if the game is shown on some channels, CI doesn't broadcast it. I miss a bunch of Pens games due to this, as they'll be playing Philly or NYR and I either have to watch it in French on RDS (thank God I under stand some French), or I miss it entirely as CI won't show the Roots (local) feed.

FakeKidPoker*

I wonder how a Sunday night game would play against SNF, especially being the third national game... seems like a crappy slot for Sportsnet.

Not really.

NFL draws flys for ratings up here.. a national nhl game would destroy it.

Only thing in NFL that draws decent TV ratings is the Super Bowl Hype.

Last edited by a moderator:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think the key question is whether expanding to another Canadian city would add a significant number of extra hockey fans to the national TV audience or if it would do little for national TV numbers and instead cannibalize an existing regional market.

I wonder if anyone knows of any stats showing if the addition of the Jets caused any significant increase in HNIC or TSN's national audience numbers or allowed CBC or TSN to get more advertising dollars (aside from TSN Jets regional coverage).

BTW, I think that is unlike the U.S., where I believe expanding to Seattle would create a lot of new hockey fans in the Northwest U.S. for NBC and NBC Sports.

1. I think a team in Seattle is important.

2. There is at least two obvious ways in which another Canadian team would benefit TV networks. The obvious way is that having more Canadian teams would increase the probability of a Canadian team going further into the playoffs. The playoffs draw decently even without Canadian teams in Canada, but the boost would be very significant. The second way is that more of the national TV games can feature TWO Canadian teams as opposed to one Canadian team and one US team.

3. Development of new fans. It's a total myth that Canada is 'maxed out' in terms of hockey's popularity. Ratings show that Canadian TV ratings are increasing. There is room for improvement. New fans are often developed in the same way they are in the US -- attending games! The live experience is often what makes lifelong fans of newcomers. No one can afford to attend games in Toronto and Montreal. Folks in Quebec City have to travel for hours and then pay insane prices -- that's just not going to happen often.

4. Quebec City is unique in that it would draw from all of Quebec. When the team existed, the dynamic was always Montreal vs. the rest of Quebec and much of the Maritime.

5. It would be an immense boon for RDS, which thereby benefits TSN/Bell.

I'd like to see Seattle - Quebec City, Portland - Toronto2, Salt Lake City - Hamilton; pairs of expansions with perhaps 10-15 years in between them.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I don't know if a third choice game... Columbus vs. Carolina, Phoenix vs Anaheim, etc... is actually going to do world-beating business.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't know if a third choice game... Columbus vs. Carolina, Phoenix vs Anaheim, etc... is actually going to do world-beating business.

Are you referring to the Sunday night package? Because I'm pretty sure the idea is that games with Canadian teams would be specifically scheduled on Sunday night for this package.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
so SportsNet would jump in with a significantly better package than TSN? That sounds dubious.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I wonder how a Sunday night game would play against SNF, especially being the third national game... seems like a crappy slot for Sportsnet.
Although TSN often shows a Monday night game (such as tonight) and that is up against Monday Night Football, which I would assume has bigger ratings than the Sunday night game.

So I don't think Sunday night is a bad slot.

And weekly NFL games on Sunday and Monday nights only runs until end of December, leaving more than 3 months of the hockey season not having to compete against NFL football night games other than the Super Bowl itself.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
so SportsNet would jump in with a significantly better package than TSN? That sounds dubious.

I am guess the Sunday night lackage will be of similar quality to TSN's Wednesday Night schedule, except for maybe not having a double header.

CBC likely won't get as many Saturday games. One would assume some of those regional HNIC games get shifted to the Sunday Night Sportsnet game.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
People need to get this myth out of their minds that the NFL is the king of ratings. The NFL draws less people than the CFL does..If SN got a national game on Sunday nights, the ratings would be huge. The NFL is big in the U.S and yes it's also big here too, but not even close to as big as most people make it out to be.

The East Final in the CFL between Toronto and Hamilton averaged almost 2 million viewers. The game peaked close to 4 million! I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday. INEC!

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I'd assume if SN was going to do a national game on Sundays that a Canadian team would be involved.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
One of the things that royally pisses me off with Center Ice is that if the game is shown on some channels, CI doesn't broadcast it. I miss a bunch of Pens games due to this, as they'll be playing Philly or NYR and I either have to watch it in French on RDS (thank God I under stand some French), or I miss it entirely as CI won't show the Roots (local) feed.

Speaking of...I've already seen a Hawks - Avs game blacked out on CI even tho no TSN, RDS, CBC, TVA Sport, ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS...you name was showing it and available in my area.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
People need to get this myth out of their minds that the NFL is the king of ratings. The NFL draws less people than the CFL does..If SN got a national game on Sunday nights, the ratings would be huge. The NFL is big in the U.S and yes it's also big here too, but not even close to as big as most people make it out to be.

The East Final in the CFL between Toronto and Hamilton averaged almost 2 million viewers. The game peaked close to 4 million! I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday. INEC!

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/02/04/ratings-show-canadians-love-the-super-bowl-and-beyonce/

Superbowl ratings in Canada, blows those ratings out of the water.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Right, but the Super Bowl wasn't played this past Sunday which is what the poster was talking about .

Did you even read the poster said? Or did you even read the article? He says "The NFL draws less people than the CFL does" which is false(if you read the article, it says how many people watched the NFL).

What the poster said "I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday". (The same in article between Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers was on Sunday).

From the article:
According to figures from CTV, Sundays’ championship tilt that saw the Baltimore Ravens hang on to defeat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 attracted an average audience of 7.33 million viewers north of the border on CTV and RDS (CTV drew 6.6 million; RDS 763,000), according to preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada. That makes it the most-watched program of the broadcast year.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Did you even read the poster said? Or did you even read the article? He says "The NFL draws less people than the CFL does" which is false(if you read the article, it says how many people watched the NFL).

What the poster said "I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday". (The same in article between Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers was on Sunday).

From the article:
According to figures from CTV, Sundays’ championship tilt that saw the Baltimore Ravens hang on to defeat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 attracted an average audience of 7.33 million viewers north of the border on CTV and RDS (CTV drew 6.6 million; RDS 763,000), according to preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada. That makes it the most-watched program of the broadcast year.

I'm pretty sure that he meant to compare the ratings for the CFL game on Sunday November 17, 2013 to any NFL game played on that same Sunday. The article you linked was about the Super Bowl which was played on February 3, 2013. I really don't think he meant to compare those to any NFL game played on any Sunday.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Going a bit off topic.

Let's start up a new thread when the media actually unearth something. Not even a teensy weensy leak right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->