Any updates on NHL's deal with Canadian TV networks?

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

If I remember correct, TSN and CBC's TV network deal are set to expire at the end of this season. Any update on that front?

Sorry if there is a thread on this already. I don't usually visit this board, so might've missed it.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
CBC had exclusive negotiating rights through the end of August, based on the last report.

Nothing has come out since then. Maybe the Canadian hockey media will wake up and dig around a bit.

brec7

Nov 28, 2006
Sydney, NS
If the NHL was smart at all, when this CBC deal expires the NHL will have two OTA contracts in Canada. If the NFL can do it in the USA (they have THREE!!) I really don't see why the NHL can't... there's precedent, they were on CTV in the mid-80's.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
it depends who buys the rights, and what they want to do.

if Bell offers the most money, but says we want all the games on TSN not CTV, I don't think the league turns down the money.

in all likelihood Rogers and Bell want anchor programming for their sports properties. on the other hand, I could see logic in having a game on CTV and then the late game on TSN. but right now, they just program their hockey content on tsn and tsn2

as far as news goes, I'm guessing not much has come out because the majority of the sports media in canada is tied in some way to the companies negotiating for rights. so there have probably been massive checks and balances put in place to prevent info leaks.

I know Bob McCowan mentioned on his show a couple weeks back that Bettman was at the Rogers downtown campus, which is their head office. so its possible they were doing some negotiating.

its an important deal for the nhl, no need to rush into anything.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
CBC had exclusive negotiating rights through the end of August, based on the last report.

Nothing has come out since then. Maybe the Canadian hockey media will wake up and dig around a bit.

Not very likely. Canadian hockey media are the same ones who are negotiating with the NHL to buy those rights. They're not going to upset Bettman by spilling the beans on secret negotiations.

Maybe, just maybe, the Globe and Mail might give a story, as it is has a national reach and is not affiliated with any broadcast company (although it is owned by Jets owner David Thomson). But don't expect anyone affiliated with Bell, Rogers or the CBC to say anything.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Not very likely. Canadian hockey media are the same ones who are negotiating with the NHL to buy those rights. They're not going to upset Bettman by spilling the beans on secret negotiations.

Maybe, just maybe, the Globe and Mail might give a story, as it is has a national reach and is not affiliated with any broadcast company (although it is owned by Jets owner David Thomson). But don't expect anyone affiliated with Bell, Rogers or the CBC to say anything.

Yeah, CBC & TSN/CTV won't want to put attention on it. If Rogers/Sportsnet is thinking about making a move for a package, I doubt they'd want to bring focus to it. That's pretty much the entire Canadian media right there, since Shaw/Global don't really have sports properties.

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
Yeah, CBC & TSN/CTV won't want to put attention on it. If Rogers/Sportsnet is thinking about making a move for a package, I doubt they'd want to bring focus to it. That's pretty much the entire Canadian media right there, since Shaw/Global don't really have sports properties.

With that being said... Shaw/Global once looked at starting a sports station, but backed out as there weren't any major sporting rights to acquire at the time. If the right opportunity was there, they might make a move once again.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
If the NHL was smart at all, when this CBC deal expires the NHL will have two OTA contracts in Canada. If the NFL can do it in the USA (they have THREE!!) I really don't see why the NHL can't... there's precedent, they were on CTV in the mid-80's.
I don't see that happening, at least not OTA. Here's my rationale.

CBC is mandated to be a Canadian network, and therefore doesn't pick up simulcasts of a lot of US shows. It has holes in its OTA schedule that it needs to fill, and "Hockey Night in Canada" is a natural for them. It fills several otherwise dead hours on Saturdays.

CTV (Bell), CITY (Rogers), and Global (Shaw) would obviously have to pick some other day of the week. CTV and CITY already split Sunday NFL games between them, so forget the first half of the season. Also, a lot of weekday primetime hours on Canadian commercial TV are filled with simulcasts of American shows. Plus shorter/longer/overtime games could wreak havoc with weekday prime-time schedules that depend on programs starting and ending at exact times. The Stanley Cup playoffs generate enough revenue that it's worth it, but forget the regular season.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
With that being said... Shaw/Global once looked at starting a sports station, but backed out as there weren't any major sporting rights to acquire at the time. If the right opportunity was there, they might make a move once again.

Yeah they might still try to make a move, though the launch of SN1 makes it that much harder. Canwest/Global was number one when I was growing up, but were too slow to jump on the specialty channels bandwagon. Shaw does show WHL but the jump to pro sports will be a tough one.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Speaking of Canadian TV deals, I swear it is only within the last 3 or 4 years that we started getting so much pre-season hockey on TV. It seems like every night there is a game being broadcast nationally.

Im not complaining, but my God, we are such a stereotype in this country. :laugh:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think TSN will get the big national deal which would include Saturday night and the Stanley Cup finals. CBC will get the rights to a game of the week 1 night a week and Sportsnet will keep the regional coverage (And gets the Jets and Canadiens regional games as well).

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think TSN will get the big national deal which would include Saturday night and the Stanley Cup finals. CBC will get the rights to a game of the week 1 night a week and Sportsnet will keep the regional coverage (And gets the Jets and Canadiens regional games as well).

Regional games are a completely separate thing and are negotiated on a different schedule altogether.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
They're also not negotiated with the NHL, those rights belong to the franchises. It'd be like trying to herd cats to get those included into a deal.

Not only that, but any new national deal has to be predicated on the fact some regional deals call for a minimum amount of games. i.e, only so many games to go around.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
It will be interesting to see if Quebec City is mentioned at all during tv negotiating between canadian bidders and nhl.Rumours have become very quite which could be good or bad.Tva would be a bidder for provincial rights but national all bidders bell or rogers are rivals so should be interesting if Quebec City is seen as expansion for 2015

FakeKidPoker*

Expect this to happen.

CBC keeps their package with maybe a few less games.

So Saturday nights with special games here and there.. All Star Game and most Canadian Teams in the playoffs and Stanley Cup Final.

TSN gets their regular deal back with a few added games.. maybe the rights to one more pick in the playoffs.

SportsNet will bet a national game of the week on Sundays.. maybe a little more.. but I'd really love to see them make a move for the package TSN has.. as TSN just does a really poor job imo.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Past 3-5 years CBC has really ***** the bed and had a subpar broadcasts to tsn. Hrudy and McLean and Healy and weekes all need to get off the air for any success to happen

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Expect this to happen.

So Saturday nights with special games here and there.. All Star Game and most Canadian Teams in the playoffs and Stanley Cup Final.

TSN gets their regular deal back with a few added games.. maybe the rights to one more pick in the playoffs.

SportsNet will bet a national game of the week on Sundays.. maybe a little more.. but I'd really love to see them make a move for the package TSN has.. as TSN just does a really poor job imo.

Bell has more money than Rogers. Unlikely Rogers ends up in a better position than Bell, unless Rogers and CBC team up with a joint bid. But even then, I think Bell will outbid them.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Expect this to happen.

I agree with this, its really been the pattern the last couple of negotiations (except the Sunday part obviously). It's interesting because each deal, CBC loses "a few games", but over time and negotiations, those games are adding up. If it keeps going this pattern over the next few negotiation sessions, there's going to be a wall CBC hits as far as how many games they can lose. Since TSN Rogers has come in, CBC really has been paying more money for less games-at what point do the advertisers start asking "why are WE paying more money for less games with you, when we can go to TSN/Rogers where they are getting more games than you and offering to charge us less(speculative on my part)

I might be in the minority with this point, but I think whenever Don Cherry retires/he eventually passes on (which he indeed might do this until then)-what will post HNIC be like? Ron Maclean isn't getting younger either. Obviously we're not talking immediate future, but I think we can at least start asking: Where is HNIC going to be in 10-20 years? My take is that between the losing of games each contract and the eventual moving on of Ron and Don, it will take a toll on CBC viewership.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I might be in the minority with this point, but I think whenever Don Cherry retires/he eventually passes on (which he indeed might do this until then)-what will post HNIC be like? Ron Maclean isn't getting younger either. Obviously we're not talking immediate future, but I think we can at least start asking: Where is HNIC going to be in 10-20 years? My take is that between the losing of games each contract and the eventual moving on of Ron and Don, it will take a toll on CBC viewership.

Ideally, once Don is gone (the sooner the better), maybe we'll get more interesting features in the first intermission. Right now, the only interesting thing about Cherry is how stupid does he look and what stupid thing is he going to say. Personally, I found the interview with Barb Underhill about her work with the Leafs skaters to be more interesting than anything Cherry has said in years.

As for Ron, Elliott Friedman would appear to be the heir apparent and I think he'll do a fine job.

To be honest, if Canadians are only tuning in for Cherry, then I am a bit embarrassed to call myself a Canadian.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Oh, don't get me wrong, from a talent perspective, I like Fridge and he's one of the few hockey media left I respect enough to listen to. I guess I was more suggesting that there is a certain population of fans who I wouldn't be surprised it's about Ron and Don and "tradition", and when they are gone, those fans may drop off if replaced by say a Friedman/*insert name here* combo (which again I don't think quality wise would be a bad thing at all). Also not suggesting that no one will watch, there will still be a significant audience, but will it be enough between Ron/Don leaving and CBC having less games each year-particularly if CBC eventually only is able to manage one game as opposed to double header.

Just sort of thinking a number of related things could spell some trouble for CBC in that regard-that's just my speculation :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Past 3-5 years CBC has really ***** the bed and had a subpar broadcasts to tsn. Hrudy and McLean and Healy and weekes all need to get off the air for any success to happen

I don't get his. While they have some people I don't like... for the most part I enjoy HNIC, and more specifically the hot stove. Honestly I enjoy the hotstove more than coaches corner, and just wish they had more time, or carried it over into the intermissions in the 2nd game.

rojac said:
As for Ron, Elliott Friedman would appear to be the heir apparent and I think he'll do a fine job.

To be honest, if Canadians are only tuning in for Cherry, then I am a bit embarrassed to call myself a Canadian.

I'd be fine with a Ron/Elliott combo until Ron retires. As for Cherry... I don't mind some of his stuff, but always watch coaches corner more to see what Ron has to say. Don is too whimsical in some of the crap he talks about. But I enjoy his passion.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site

No doubt. Add PJ Stock to that list of contributing nothing and just being Healy's punching bag. CBC has gone down hill big time in the last 8 years or so. Part of it is that Don Cherry and Bob Cole are old. The other part of it is losing the theme song, losing Cuthbert, and throwing Steve Armitage and Scott Russel in some broom closet.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
In terms of the CDN TV deal Bettman was on hockey central @ noon yesterday and they talked briefly about it. Gyst of it as I recall:
-CBC has been a great partner
-its more than about money; its also about accessability; online streaming, tablets etc.
-said the NFL model in the States in regards to multiple national packages is an interesting one
-doesn't want to negotiate publicly so didn't say much

Its on the podcast if anyone is interested in listening to the full thing (and whats to correct add to what I wrote)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad