Any tips on Traveling Solo?

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Why would you want to eat cheap convenience store food when you could go to a restaurant and pay a little more? Enjoy your cold ham and cheese sandwich.

That being said, if you go to a cafe and get a baguette that is a good idea. In France they have pretty good baguettes with ham and cheese or other types of meats. In Spain they had Iberico ham which is one of the best. They just put that on a sandwich. It's delicious. Those aren't from convenience stores though. Those are from small cafes and restaurants. I would recommend getting food there instead of a convenience store.
lmao ive been to both and have had food from both over priced boujee cafes and local cheaper supermarkets where they cut the meat for you. Thanks for the tip hommie :laugh:

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I think we need a neutral arbitrator to settle this dispute.

@Tom Hansen your thoughts
Its not a right or wrong? If you have money to blow for a quick trip or you dont go out much you will spend more eating out not worrying about spending trying to make yourself feel special. If you travel months out of the year and go to Europe/Asia regularly your budget might not be as much to waste away frivolously on mediocre food

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
lmao, i eat from grocery stores all the time when travelling abroad, especially in Europe.

I don't want to eat out 3x per day. That's exhausting, expensive, and sickening. I can't eat that many calories, and I'm a fat guy.

Albert Heijn in the Netherlands has great selections of easy and lite foods that make a killing for a quick snack or meal. We did the same in London quite frequently. France, well, we hated France a lot and mostly just wanted to leave immediately :laugh:. Not my vibe at all.

Sep 19, 2008
lmao ive been to both and have had food from both over priced boujee cafes and local cheaper supermarkets where they cut the meat for you. Thanks for the tip hommie :laugh:

Its not a right or wrong? If you have money to blow for a quick trip or you dont go out much you will spend more eating out not worrying about spending trying to make yourself feel special. If you travel months out of the year and go to Europe/Asia regularly your budget might not be as much to waste away frivolously on mediocre food

I was going to write a very long response to your post arguing about how incorrect your opinion was but then I saw you call out @The Crypto Guy in the other thread and I was very impressed. Very few people have the courage here to call him out on his constant lies and you did it despite being relatively new. As they always say in prison, go after the biggest guy and knock him down a peg. So I will not comment on how incorrect your opinions are.

lmao, i eat from grocery stores all the time when travelling abroad, especially in Europe.

I don't want to eat out 3x per day. That's exhausting, expensive, and sickening. I can't eat that many calories, and I'm a fat guy.

Albert Heijn in the Netherlands has great selections of easy and lite foods that make a killing for a quick snack or meal. We did the same in London quite frequently. France, well, we hated France a lot and mostly just wanted to leave immediately :laugh:. Not my vibe at all.

You eat from grocery stores all the time then you are missing out on the cultural experience :laugh: I would say you could possibly get a breakfast pastry from a cafe and it would be just the same as going to the supermarket. The only difference is you spend more time outside enjoying a nice coffee while dining on your pastry.

Do you really think it is prudent or practical to spend 3 dollars to eat a cold sandwich at 6 PM at night? Do you know how insane that sounds? Come on. You're smarter than that.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Europe has very cheap beer and good affordable food. You can use Yelp to find good restaurants or you can just be like me and eyeball crowded restaurants. The good thing about Europe is that you don't really need to break the bank to eat good food. The most you pay is about 20 euro at a local restaurant. Some restaurants like Michelin Star ones go as high as 100+, especially if you want to do a wine pairing. Do that if you want, but you can get a good meal for a cheap price in Europe and get some nice beer with it too.

maybe in Eastern Europe and some parts of Germany

TJ Hooker

May 25, 2017
I ate about half my meals in a restaurant. The other half I either got take away from a restaurant, from the deli at a grocery store, or actually put something together with groceries I had bought (rarely).

TJ Hooker

May 25, 2017
Truthfully, the one thing I missed most while I was away was making food and having my own proper kitchen and cooking supplies.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Backpacked in Spain and Portugal for three weeks last year. Loved it. Pick hostels known for great atmosphere where they do "family dinners". Cohesive environment makes your experience 10x better. Let me know which cities you are going to and I can offer advice. No, don't go on pub crawls every day despite pressure because you wanna enjoy the city too. Barcelona is my favorite city, love it. San Sebastian is amazing too. Loved Porto.

Grab a seat by bar and have tapas if you feel miserable eating alone haha.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
having a friend in the country with a bank account? You arent asking strangers?
@Tom Hansen

Ok, how’s this, your idea is incredibly strange and not very smart, you never give away your bank info to,anyone. The abundance of free ATMs is not in shortage over here, even using an American or Canadian bank card, if you have the right bank account that matches a European subsidiary bank. For instance, Barclays and Bank of America are owned by the same group, no fees for withdrawing your money at their ATMs. How do I know this? I have traveled Europe extensively and currently have lived in the UK for the last few years.

Honestly, you don’t need cash anywhere you seem to be going, all the countries you listed are pretty much bank card integrated for payment. The only real problem you might have is if your bank card or credit card does not have a chip. Then it is dicey because almost everything is tap to pay. The slide credit card machines have almost disappeared in Europe.

Tom, if you have any questions, PM me.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland

Japanese convenience stores are great for a quick meal when you can't be bothered to go out or have already been out for a big lunch. And there's about a billion of them so you can't go anywhere without seeing them.

All of which is entirely irrelevant seeing as this is a thread about Europe. You're welcome.

Reactions: StanGetz

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Japanese convenience stores are great for a quick meal when you can't be bothered to go out or have already been out for a big lunch. And there's about a billion of them so you can't go anywhere without seeing them.

All of which is entirely irrelevant seeing as this is a thread about Europe. You're welcome.
A+ content tho

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
lol beer isnt cheaper in Western Europe?? Have you ever been??
Did you read what I wrote? Beer is not cheaper in Western Europe. But here, I’ll put the two of you to the test. Use your little hands and google it. You will find alot of the western European countries are in the top 10 of most expensive places to buy beer. It’s that simple. Jeeez France ranks number 5 in the world for most expensive beer while Iceland is number 1. With most of Scandinavia in the top 1 to 20. I mean how hard is this?

I pay about £ 4.50 for the local bitter which is close to 6 bucks and I am down in the sticks of England and that is cheaper then London by maybe a quid or so. Most of the beers on tap are in that range at my local.

PS there are enough people on here who know where I live, so questioning where I live is stupid and your only play.

Here I’ll do it for you.

This Country Has the Most Expensive Beer in the World

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad