NHL 20 Any tips for Franchise Sim?

GB124403

Apr 19, 2021
Okay so I'm looking for help on my lineup, who to put with who and on what line if they're forwards or pair if they're defensemen

Snipers - Panarin 91 OVR / Zibanejad 86 OVR / Drouin 85 OVR / Bjorkstrand 85 OVR / Eriksson Ek 84 OVR
Playmakers - Barzal 88 OVR / Zuccarello 84 OVR / Yamamoto 83 OVR
Two-Way Forwards - Couturier 89 OVR / RNH 86 OVR / Saad 83 OVR / Labanc 83 OVR

Two-Way Defensemen - Doughty 91 OVR / Barrie 86 OVR / Klefbom 84 OVR
Offensive Defensemen - Pionk 85 OVR / Bean 80 OVR
Defensive Defensemen - Suter 86 OVR

Unrelated but my goalies are Varlamov 86 OVR and Merzlikins 84 OVR

If you're unable to figure out what players I should put together on a line or pair, maybe drop some suggestions on players to get rid of and players to pick up so I can put a better team together! I will try EVERY suggestion or comment to see what works.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
I know the thread title is NHL 20, but I 21 is similar enough that maybe someone can help me.

I'm playing a Franchise Mode as the Florida Panthers (there one of my favorite NHL teams after the Rangers and have very limited playoff success, so I was hoping to change that).

I like to keep track of things, so if anyone is interested, here's the Google Sheet I've been using:

So for background: Morale is off, owner mode is off, I almost always set the lines and change the goalie myself, and I turn injures off after the trade deadline. I play a handful of regular season games each year (maybe 4-8), and sim all the rest (including all the playoff games)

Here's the problem: I just finished my 4th year as GM. We have ONE single playoff series win.

SeasonRecordDiv. RankNHL RankLeading Point ScorerPlayoff Results
2020-2149-24-924Barkov (97)R1 L vs. BUF (4-1)
2021-2254-23-511Huberdeau (117)R1 L vs. BUF (4-0)
2022-2353-24-512Barkov (94)R2 L vs. TOR (4-3)
2023-2442-30-10411Huberdeau (111)R1 L vs. CBJ (4-3)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Now I don't expect to win the Stanley Cup every season obviously. But I've ended up pissed off after every single playoffs. 2021 we only won a single game and our stars completely s**t the bed. Barkov, Huberdeau, and Hoffman COMBINED for 3 points in the entire series. 2022 we win the President's Trophy and then get SWEPT in round 1. Seriously? 2023 we finally win a series, take Toronto to game 7 in round 2. I did a CPUv.CPU game and watched, rather then sim. We were down 4-1 with 15:00 to go in the 3rd period. Hayton scores to make it 4-2, Neal scores with under 4 minutes to go to make it 4-3, and then Neal scores again with 25 seconds left to tie the game. I kid you not, the coach puts out our top line of Huberdeau-Barkov-Drouin, and it was the absolute worst defensive positioning I have every seen in my entire life. A complete breakdown with Barkov losing the draw (as is typical of him) and then Huberdeau and Drouin losing their guys and ending up in no-man's land. Toronto scores SIX SECONDS LATER with 19 seconds left in the game to win the series. Last but not least is 2024, in which we were up THREE GAMES TO NOTHING over Columbus and proceeded to blow 4 straight chances to close the series out.

After the 2023 playoffs, I made some major changes. I got rid of Drouin, who could just never seem to perform in the playoffs, and (because I started researching franchise mode tips, and saw that Poise is a key playoff stat) I signed a few depth players with high Poise ratings (Craig Smith, Jeff Carter, Duncan Keith, Evgeni Malkin, etc.). At the 2024 trade deadline, we were not even in a playoff spot. I knew we needed a boost, so I went out and got Crosby. Could've gotten him cheaper, but I needed Pittsburgh to retain salary. He was great down the stretch and was our leading playoff point scorer. But it still wasn't enough.

I'm about ready to fire the coach (this is my 2nd coach in 4 seasons. I fired the first one after we got swept by Buffalo) and blow up this team. But then I'm going to have to sit through 3-4 years of rebuilding before we're competitive again.

So my question is, is there any way to salvage this team? I'll post my lineup below:

LWCRW
Huberdeau (30, 93)Barkov (28, 92)Svechnikov (24, 88)
Crosby (36, 83)Patrick (25, 88)Strome (30, 84)
Smith (34, 80)Hayton (23, 82)Neal (36, 84)
Carter (39, 78)Lundell (22, 81)Malkin (37, 78)
Scratches:Rasmussen (25, 79)Okposo (36, 79)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DD
Jones (29, 91)Byram (22, 84)
Ekblad (28, 88)Powe (21, 83)
Giordano (40, 81)Drysdale (22, 79)
Scratches:Keith (40, 80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Binnington (30, 86)
DeSmith (32, 82)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
EDIT: After simming the rest of the playoffs, a few players have had overall changes. Barkov 92 -> 93, Svechnikov 88 -> 90, Jones 91 -> 89, Crosby 83 -> 88, Strome 84 -> 87, and Smith 80 -> 81. Those will probably change again before the start of next season, but those are good for the most part (though I'm suprised Crosby's increased at his age), except for Seth Jones which concerns me a bit.
EDIT #2: James Neal and Jeff Carter retired. Only unsigned pending FAs are Ivan Barbashev and Duncan Keith. I will probably end up trading both, as I don't really have the cap space to keep Barbashev and Keith was not all that valuable for me.

I have some decent prospects in the pipeline. I've seen some people here say that superstar/allstar teams do not perform well and depth matters more. So should I really trade Huberdeau/Barkov/Svechnikov and build out my bottom lines more? I mean, they all had 90+ points this season. Is it a good idea to trade them all for depth? Should I keep one and trade the others?

Like I said, I'm not expecting to win the cup every season. But I do expect us to win more than one playoff series in 4 years. I don't think that's a wildly high expectation. How do I make this into a team that can:

A. Make the playoffs
B. Succeed in the playoffs

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Okay so I'm looking for help on my lineup, who to put with who and on what line if they're forwards or pair if they're defensemen

Snipers - Panarin 91 OVR / Zibanejad 86 OVR / Drouin 85 OVR / Bjorkstrand 85 OVR / Eriksson Ek 84 OVR
Playmakers - Barzal 88 OVR / Zuccarello 84 OVR / Yamamoto 83 OVR
Two-Way Forwards - Couturier 89 OVR / RNH 86 OVR / Saad 83 OVR / Labanc 83 OVR

Two-Way Defensemen - Doughty 91 OVR / Barrie 86 OVR / Klefbom 84 OVR
Offensive Defensemen - Pionk 85 OVR / Bean 80 OVR
Defensive Defensemen - Suter 86 OVR

Unrelated but my goalies are Varlamov 86 OVR and Merzlikins 84 OVR

If you're unable to figure out what players I should put together on a line or pair, maybe drop some suggestions on players to get rid of and players to pick up so I can put a better team together! I will try EVERY suggestion or comment to see what works.

So far, the only way I've ever gotten a +5 Chemistry is Sniper/Playmaker/Power Forwards on Offense and OFD/DFD on Defense. I don't know of any other combinations that work for that boost. +3 is the most I've ever gotten with a 2 way forward/TWD and grinders and enforcers are useless for chemistry but 2WF/TWD are kinda necessary for PK chemistry.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I know the thread title is NHL 20, but I 21 is similar enough that maybe someone can help me.

I'm playing a Franchise Mode as the Florida Panthers (there one of my favorite NHL teams after the Rangers and have very limited playoff success, so I was hoping to change that).

I like to keep track of things, so if anyone is interested, here's the Google Sheet I've been using:

So for background: Morale is off, owner mode is off, I almost always set the lines and change the goalie myself, and I turn injures off after the trade deadline. I play a handful of regular season games each year (maybe 4-8), and sim all the rest (including all the playoff games)

Here's the problem: I just finished my 4th year as GM. We have ONE single playoff series win.

SeasonRecordDiv. RankNHL RankLeading Point ScorerPlayoff Results
2020-2149-24-924Barkov (97)R1 L vs. BUF (4-1)
2021-2254-23-511Huberdeau (117)R1 L vs. BUF (4-0)
2022-2353-24-512Barkov (94)R2 L vs. TOR (4-3)
2023-2442-30-10411Huberdeau (111)R1 L vs. CBJ (4-3)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Now I don't expect to win the Stanley Cup every season obviously. But I've ended up pissed off after every single playoffs. 2021 we only won a single game and our stars completely s**t the bed. Barkov, Huberdeau, and Hoffman COMBINED for 3 points in the entire series. 2022 we win the President's Trophy and then get SWEPT in round 1. Seriously? 2023 we finally win a series, take Toronto to game 7 in round 2. I did a CPUv.CPU game and watched, rather then sim. We were down 4-1 with 15:00 to go in the 3rd period. Hayton scores to make it 4-2, Neal scores with under 4 minutes to go to make it 4-3, and then Neal scores again with 25 seconds left to tie the game. I kid you not, the coach puts out our top line of Huberdeau-Barkov-Drouin, and it was the absolute worst defensive positioning I have every seen in my entire life. A complete breakdown with Barkov losing the draw (as is typical of him) and then Huberdeau and Drouin losing their guys and ending up in no-man's land. Toronto scores SIX SECONDS LATER with 19 seconds left in the game to win the series. Last but not least is 2024, in which we were up THREE GAMES TO NOTHING over Columbus and proceeded to blow 4 straight chances to close the series out.

After the 2023 playoffs, I made some major changes. I got rid of Drouin, who could just never seem to perform in the playoffs, and (because I started researching franchise mode tips, and saw that Poise is a key playoff stat) I signed a few depth players with high Poise ratings (Craig Smith, Jeff Carter, Duncan Keith, Evgeni Malkin, etc.). At the 2024 trade deadline, we were not even in a playoff spot. I knew we needed a boost, so I went out and got Crosby. Could've gotten him cheaper, but I needed Pittsburgh to retain salary. He was great down the stretch and was our leading playoff point scorer. But it still wasn't enough.

I'm about ready to fire the coach (this is my 2nd coach in 4 seasons. I fired the first one after we got swept by Buffalo) and blow up this team. But then I'm going to have to sit through 3-4 years of rebuilding before we're competitive again.

So my question is, is there any way to salvage this team? I'll post my lineup below:

LWCRW
Huberdeau (30, 93)Barkov (28, 92)Svechnikov (24, 88)
Crosby (36, 83)Patrick (25, 88)Strome (30, 84)
Smith (34, 80)Hayton (23, 82)Neal (36, 84)
Carter (39, 78)Lundell (22, 81)Malkin (37, 78)
Scratches:Rasmussen (25, 79)Okposo (36, 79)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DD
Jones (29, 91)Byram (22, 84)
Ekblad (28, 88)Powe (21, 83)
Giordano (40, 81)Drysdale (22, 79)
Scratches:Keith (40, 80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Binnington (30, 86)
DeSmith (32, 82)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
EDIT: After simming the rest of the playoffs, a few players have had overall changes. Barkov 92 -> 93, Svechnikov 88 -> 90, Jones 91 -> 89, Crosby 83 -> 88, Strome 84 -> 87, and Smith 80 -> 81. Those will probably change again before the start of next season, but those are good for the most part (though I'm suprised Crosby's increased at his age), except for Seth Jones which concerns me a bit.
EDIT #2: James Neal and Jeff Carter retired. Only unsigned pending FAs are Ivan Barbashev and Duncan Keith. I will probably end up trading both, as I don't really have the cap space to keep Barbashev and Keith was not all that valuable for me.

I have some decent prospects in the pipeline. I've seen some people here say that superstar/allstar teams do not perform well and depth matters more. So should I really trade Huberdeau/Barkov/Svechnikov and build out my bottom lines more? I mean, they all had 90+ points this season. Is it a good idea to trade them all for depth? Should I keep one and trade the others?

Like I said, I'm not expecting to win the cup every season. But I do expect us to win more than one playoff series in 4 years. I don't think that's a wildly high expectation. How do I make this into a team that can:

A. Make the playoffs
B. Succeed in the playoffs

Any tips would be much appreciated.

this worked for me and i got it from a website about how to build a contender, you need 3 elite first line fowards like 90 or above and the two defenseman 90 or above. you need 5 90 overalls, and 90 overall on the goaltending. see what that does.

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
this worked for me and i got it from a website about how to build a contender, you need 3 elite first line fowards like 90 or above and the two defenseman 90 or above. you need 5 90 overalls, and 90 overall on the goaltending. see what that does.

I'm not sure if this is technically what did it, or if it was the depth I added at the Trade Deadline, but regardless, we finally won the cup with the Panthers. I appreciate the advice for sure, and I think it did help on the back end.

3GHiimT.jpg

Here's what I did:

During the offseason, I tried to follow the 5 90+ player advice. My top forward line was already all 90+. But my top 2 defenseman and my goalie were below 90. I traded Seth Jones (89) + 2 6th round picks to Ottawa for Thomas Chabot (90), and then made the blockbuster trade of the year sending Aaron Ekblad (88), Jordan Binnington (86), Anton Lundell, and Ivan Barbashev to Tampa Bay for Mikhail Sergachev (90), Andrei Vasilevskiy (90), Anthony Cirelli, and a 6th round pick. I also made a couple other trades to clear up some cap space while picking up decent players on ELCs or with otherwise cheap cap hits, and added a few free agents (including Ovi), which I'll sum up below:

Offseason Additions:
G Andrei Vasilevskiy (90)
D Mikhail Sergachev (90)
D Thomas Chabot (90)
LW Alex Ovechkin (88)
C Anthony Cirelli (84)
RW Alexander Holtz (83)
C Gabe Vilardi (83)
D Jake Bean (83)
D Brandon Carlo (82)
LW Nick Ritchie (81)

Offseason Subtractions:
D Seth Jones (89)
D Aaron Ekblad (88)
C Nolan Patrick (88)
G Jordan Binnington (86)
C Barrett Hayton (82)
C Ivan Barbashev (82)
C Anton Lundell (81)
D Mark Giordano (81)

My opening night lineup looked like this:
LWCRW
J. Huberdeau (93)A. Barkov (92)A. Svechnikov (90)
A. Ovechkin (86)S. Crosby (86)R. Strome (87)
N. Ritchie (81)A. Cirelli (84)A. Holtz (85)
B. Harding (79)G. Vilardi (83)C. Smith (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We were cruising through the league, easily in 1st place by the time the Trade Deadline rolled around. I wanted to add some depth with playoff experience.

I traded Bowen Byram to San Jose for Ryan Merkley. This was largely a lateral trade skill-wise, but Merkley was an OFD who would supposedly fit better with my 2nd pair DFD Ray Powe than Byram who is a TWD. I also needed to make cap space for the other moves I was going to make. Byram is locked up for 8 years at a steal of a price, so it pained me to trade him, but I had to do it. I acquired Brad Marchand from Boston (50% retained) for a B level prospect and a 3rd (great value imo), traded Nick Ritchie and a 4th round pick to Winnipeg for Blake Wheeler, traded an A level prospect and a 5th round pick to St. Louis for Claude Giroux, and traded away Craig Smith, leaving us with the following lineup:

LWCRW
A. Ovechkin (85)S. Crosby (85)A. Holtz (86)
B. Marchand (82)A. Cirelli (84)B. Wheeler (84)
C. Giroux (82)G. Vilardi (83)R. Strome (86)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DD
T. Chabot (90)M. Sergachev (90)
R. Powe (85)R. Merkley (84)
J. Bean (83)B. Carlo (82)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The only two forwards left over from when I took over as GM were Huberdeau and Barkov, and the only defenseman who was a Panther last season was Ray Powe. Lots of turnover, but I was confident in the team.

We finished first in the NHL with 127 points, actually breaking an irl NHL record (we had 63 regular season wins, beating the current record of 62).

We get into the playoffs and quickly find ourselves down 3-1 to Carolina. I can't believe this is really going to happen again. The Florida Panthers must honestly be cursed. There's no other explanation. Literally the best team in NHL history (in terms of wins), and we're going to get knocked out in round 1 by the number 8 team. But we rattle off 3 straight Ws to pull off the comeback, take out Toronto in 5 (winning 4 straight after dropping game 1), get past the Rangers in 6, and knock off Colorado in 5 to win the Stanley Cup (I simmed all these as CPUv.CPU games and watched, and these were absolutely wild games, especially game 5).

66yr9CD.jpg

Now the only problem is that we're in a severe cap crunch and most of those depth vets are probably not coming back lol. It'll be a challenge to try to keep as much of the team together as possible and replace the outgoing players.

Last edited:

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure if this is technically what did it, or if it was the depth I added at the Trade Deadline, but regardless, we finally won the cup with the Panthers. I appreciate the advice for sure, and I think it did help on the back end.

3GHiimT.jpg

Here's what I did:

During the offseason, I tried to follow the 5 90+ player advice. My top forward line was already all 90+. But my top 2 defenseman and my goalie were below 90. I traded Seth Jones (89) + 2 6th round picks to Ottawa for Thomas Chabot (90), and then made the blockbuster trade of the year sending Aaron Ekblad (88), Jordan Binnington (86), Anton Lundell, and Ivan Barbashev to Tampa Bay for Mikhail Sergachev (90), Andrei Vasilevskiy (90), Anthony Cirelli, and a 6th round pick. I also made a couple other trades to clear up some cap space while picking up decent players on ELCs or with otherwise cheap cap hits, and added a few free agents (including Ovi), which I'll sum up below:

Offseason Additions:
G Andrei Vasilevskiy (90)
D Mikhail Sergachev (90)
D Thomas Chabot (90)
LW Alex Ovechkin (88)
C Anthony Cirelli (84)
RW Alexander Holtz (83)
C Gabe Vilardi (83)
D Jake Bean (83)
D Brandon Carlo (82)
LW Nick Ritchie (81)

Offseason Subtractions:
D Seth Jones (89)
D Aaron Ekblad (88)
C Nolan Patrick (88)
G Jordan Binnington (86)
C Barrett Hayton (82)
C Ivan Barbashev (82)
C Anton Lundell (81)
D Mark Giordano (81)

My opening night lineup looked like this:
LWCRW
A. Ovechkin (86)S. Crosby (86)R. Strome (87)
N. Ritchie (81)A. Cirelli (84)A. Holtz (85)
B. Harding (79)G. Vilardi (83)C. Smith (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We were cruising through the league, easily in 1st place by the time the Trade Deadline rolled around. I wanted to add some depth with playoff experience.

I traded Bowen Byram to San Jose for Ryan Merkley. This was largely a lateral trade skill-wise, but Merkley was an OFD who would supposedly fit better with my 2nd pair DFD Ray Powe than Byram who is a TWD. I also needed to make cap space for the other moves I was going to make. Byram is locked up for 8 years at a steal of a price, so it pained me to trade him, but I had to do it. I acquired Brad Marchand from Boston (50% retained) for a B level prospect and a 3rd (great value imo), traded Nick Ritchie and a 4th round pick to Winnipeg for Blake Wheeler, traded an A level prospect and a 5th round pick to St. Louis for Claude Giroux, and traded away Craig Smith, leaving us with the following lineup:

LWCRW
A. Ovechkin (85)S. Crosby (85)A. Holtz (86)
B. Marchand (82)A. Cirelli (84)B. Wheeler (84)
C. Giroux (82)G. Vilardi (83)R. Strome (86)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DD
T. Chabot (90)M. Sergachev (90)
R. Powe (85)R. Merkley (84)
J. Bean (83)B. Carlo (82)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The only two forwards left over from when I took over as GM were Huberdeau and Barkov, and the only defenseman who was a Panther last season was Ray Powe. Lots of turnover, but I was confident in the team.

We finished first in the NHL with 127 points, actually breaking an irl NHL record (we had 63 regular season wins, beating the current record of 62).

We get into the playoffs and quickly find ourselves down 3-1 to Carolina. I can't believe this is really going to happen again. The Florida Panthers must honestly be cursed. There's no other explanation. Literally the best team in NHL history (in terms of wins), and we're going to get knocked out in round 1 by the number 8 team. But we rattle off 3 straight Ws to pull off the comeback, take out Toronto in 5 (winning 4 straight after dropping game 1), get past the Rangers in 6, and knock off Colorado in 5 to win the Stanley Cup (I simmed all these as CPUv.CPU games and watched, and these were absolutely wild games, especially game 5).

66yr9CD.jpg

Now the only problem is that we're in a severe cap crunch and most of those depth vets are probably not coming back lol. It'll be a challenge to try to keep as much of the team together as possible and replace the outgoing players.

your welcome, im happy to help to you. oh that's awesome congrats bro, im happy it finally worked out for you yeah the depth vets shouldnt be an issue to replace, just as along it's not all rookies. just as long as you keep your core players you should be fine.

depending on your cap space try to get all vets that's under 1.5 mill, you should be good.

UseTheBoards

Aug 13, 2021
www.si.com
Get an Offense coach who is B- or better and you can win the Cup doing something along the lines of what I outline below. The higher rated the coach - the better.

Make sure the coach uses the defense scheme of Pinch Shoot, Pinch Shoot, Balanced Shoot OR Pinch Cycle, Pinch Cycle, Balanced Cycle. Have a younger coach with the exact same scheme fit be the AHL head coach. This helps you develop your prospects. Only bring them up if they're NHL caliber OR they're a perfect scheme fit for your top 6 and signed cheap/long-term.

Find two forwards (I usually pick centers) who fit the 1st and 2nd lines. Build the entire rest of the team around them. Identify players who have a player type and scheme fit instead of searching for the best overalls. Find TWF, TWD, GRI, and DFD who fit the PK.

Find 35+ year old players who fit your team and bring them in at the trade deadline. I love finding older TWD and TWF to help boost the PK during the playoffs. Especially for the guys who haven't won a Cup yet.

I prefer goalies who are 84+ overall, but the only important thing is that they're on a cheap contract.

Lock your top 6 forwards and offensive defensemen into long-term contracts, and you're set. They'll all grow to higher overalls and you can replace them as their contracts run out with prospects from the draft or through trades. You can find a 70-something overall player and put them in the top six for the +5 and they'll grow. You can turn career AHLers and 4th liners into legit top 6 players with the right setup. Kinda like how Cory Conacher was great playing alongside Stamkos but was not NHL caliber with a different team, system, and linemates.

LWCRWChemistry
84 SNI90+ PLY84 PWF+5
83 PLY87+ PWF83 SNI+5
83 TWF85 TWF82 TWF/PLY/PWF+3 or +1
79 GRI79 GRI77 GRI+5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRDChemistry
OFD 87+DFD 84+5
DFD 84OFD 82+5
TWD 83TWD 82+3 or +1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LW/LDC/RDRWChemistry
PP1
87+ PWF90+ PLY84 SNI
82 OFD87+ OFD+5
PP2
83 PLY84 PWF83 SNI
83 TWD82 TWD+3 or +1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C/LDRW/RDChemistry
PK1
85 TWF83 TWF
83 TWD82 TWD+5
PK2
79 GRI79 GRI
84 DFD84 DFD+5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Just wanted to added you can keep this going infinitely. If a player prices themself out in contract demands you trade them for draft picks to stock the cupboard and fill the hole they left with UFA on the cheap. Usually will be your goalie because of team success.

Scouting is important. Scout goalies, they are the most common gems. You take every gem you find and trade them to acquire more picks/better players that fit chemistry. Scout players 2 or 3 times, and the players slated around them, to get an accurate profile of the player. Trade up for gems as needed when the draft starts, but only for gems projected 50th or lower. Cost of trading up into first and early second round means the risk is higher.. gems are way more likely to turn out, but it isn't a guarantee. Teams will over value young goalies that were gem drafts, if you don't need them long term then flip them right away... you can draft goalies in the 5th and 6th rounds and flip them for 1st rounders.

Also if you do not have 3 goalies above 80 overall at the trade deadline then you need to pick one up. Your goalies WILL get hurt. Need to have a guy that can handle a platoon situation for as long as 5 weeks. Any goalie above 80 will do for the third spot. You don't need him at camp, and he will likely decline if you do. He's a rental, but you can get him from free agency before the deadline if you don't want to wait.

UseTheBoards

Aug 13, 2021
www.si.com
I only had him on my team one playthrough and his overall got to 89 but he never broke 60 points and brought down every line he was on so he either still doesnt sim well or the coaches can ruin certain players.
I started Leads franchise by trading Tavares for Byfield 1 for 1. Byfield capped at 89 overall for me as well. Second line center for 10+ years and 4 or 5 cups, but chemistry had him at 92 so he was a beast.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Go to the FHM series if you’re serious about simming. Kicks EA out of the park in every respect.

Reactions: coatnoise
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
How does everyone scout here? I tried to look up some tips on reddit, and there was even a thread made a couple days ago, but there are limited answers..

Basically I want to know what is the best way to scout the draft. It seems like with NHL19, 20 and 21, the draft pool of players is so large and vast.

Is it better to strictly scout for 'Potential and Comparison'? or to do the 'classic way' of scouting a group of prospects like NHL17 and 18. (aka scouting forwards, 6 weeks, OHL)

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If you get 3 90+ forwards and 2 good defencemen, you can play them for all 4 lines and pairings when you edit lines. You'll get 60+ wins and each guy will put up 200+ points.

I did this on a whim a few years ago and the realization that it works ruined franchise mode for me. Still not patched to this day

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Build a team of good two-way and power forwards and your team won't get scored on which is the real key to winning as defense becomes offense. Though I would still take stars on cheap contracts when they are available in FA or the draft. Getting a guy on a max length contract after their elc to cheapen their price is always pretty nice.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
If you get 3 90+ forwards and 2 good defencemen, you can play them for all 4 lines and pairings when you edit lines. You'll get 60+ wins and each guy will put up 200+ points.

I did this on a whim a few years ago and the realization that it works ruined franchise mode for me. Still not patched to this day

Seriously? Was this on NHL 21?

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
How does everyone scout here? I tried to look up some tips on reddit, and there was even a thread made a couple days ago, but there are limited answers..

Basically I want to know what is the best way to scout the draft. It seems like with NHL19, 20 and 21, the draft pool of players is so large and vast.

Is it better to strictly scout for 'Potential and Comparison'? or to do the 'classic way' of scouting a group of prospects like NHL17 and 18. (aka scouting forwards, 6 weeks, OHL)

Maybe someone has a better answer than me but I feel like putting time into scouting has barely any benefit, if any. I've done sims where I put as much of my budget as possible into scouting and I really didn't get any noticeably better results. Even the gems/busts didn't really seem to affect how those players developed. In the end I just auto-scout and come draft time I just use the central scouting rankings.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad