Any teams likely to trade down?

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
Are we likely to see many trades in the first round of this year's draft?
Which teams (in the top 12, say) are most likely to trade down?
What sort of cost would be assoiciated with moving up 5 to 10 spots in this year's draft?

Requisite homer question: Would Schneider (#38THN prospect) and the Canucks 1st (#22?) have any chance at a top 10 pick?

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I don't know for your homer quetion, but from what I know about the habs, they always tend to have one guy they target and he is often not really hyped by other teams. So they often trade down once or twice to accumulate picks in other rounds and still get their players. I like that :) So perhaps the 12th pick could be available...

but yet I feel they might stay there cause it looks like there is 12-15 players who are very interesting and then it starts falling a little.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Kings might trade down if they can get some defensive help or another young asset in the process. If a guy like McDonagh or Ellerby is going to be available at 10-15, I could see them dropping down there.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Sens need to pick up a good local boy in Logan Couture.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Are we likely to see many trades in the first round of this year's draft?
Which teams (in the top 12, say) are most likely to trade down?
What sort of cost would be assoiciated with moving up 5 to 10 spots in this year's draft?

Requisite homer question: Would Schneider (#38THN prospect) and the Canucks 1st (#22?) have any chance at a top 10 pick?

Your pick will not be the 22d. It will either be 24th or 25th, depending if San Jose comes back or not (24th if San Jose wins that series).

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Philadelphia might consider moving, I doubt it would be for a Spect and a pick though, it would probably have to include a young proven player.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Your pick will not be the 22d. It will either be 24th or 25th, depending if San Jose comes back or not (24th if San Jose wins that series).

Unless they changed something (and they very well could have), the draft order is based on regular season points, with the exception that the Stanley Cup winner is last at 30.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Unless they changed something (and they very well could have), the draft order is based on regular season points, with the exception that the Stanley Cup winner is last at 30.

ya they did change it...I don't have the link but it was on tsn.ca

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Sens need to pick up a good local boy in Logan Couture.

Not likely, unless they move up. As it stands, after the Sens lose to Buffalo in the next round, they'll probably be drafting 27th overall. Couture won't make it past the top 15, and maybe not even the top 10.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
I heard that canadiens was really high on VanRiemsdyk so I think they'll trade up if possible more then trading down. I think Shattenkirk is their guy at 12 so i doubt they trade down since he'll most likely go around there.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Not likely, unless they move up. As it stands, after the Sens lose to Buffalo in the next round, they'll probably be drafting 27th overall. Couture won't make it past the top 15, and maybe not even the top 10.

Exactly so i was wondering what a 5-10 pick in the draft would cost ;)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I doubt the oilers will move down but they might move their 2nd pick (36th overall) down for a 3rd pick + something else. Aparently they are high on riley nash and he isnt projected to even go in the 2nd round let alone early 2nd. They might be looking to move up though.

How about the NYI 1st + ANA 1st for Boston's first?

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
considering how wide open this draft is, I think we could see alot of pick movement, maybe not in the top 10, but in the 10-60 range. If you think you can grab a top 15 talent at 25, then why not move down?

Bégin is the bestest*

I heard that canadiens was really high on VanRiemsdyk so I think they'll trade up if possible more then trading down. I think Shattenkirk is their guy at 12 so i doubt they trade down since he'll most likely go around there.

i guess they won't draft Shattenkirk since you think they'll draft him, they always draft a player that no one thinks they're gonna draft.

in 2003 i was hoping they're gonna draft Zach Parisé (only because his dad is québécois) but they drafted Andrei Kostsystyn instead which i never heard about before the draft.

in 2005 i was hoping they would draft Benoît Pouliot, Gilbert Brûlé or Anze Kopitar. Pouliot got drafted by Minnesota just before they picks. Brûlé and Kopitar was still availlable but they drafted Corey Price, a goalie, i'm sure no one thought they was gonna draft him.

in 2006 i was thinking they're gonna draft a dman, i had some names i thought they would draft (Wishart, Mitera, and a russian dman, i forgot his name) but i never thought about Fischer.

so i'm sure they're gonna draft someone that no one expect them to draft. :D

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
PHI might take that deal: "Would Schneider (#38THN prospect) and the Canucks 1st (#22?)"

PHI would trade the 2nd overall or trade down based on the return.

Rumors I have heard:

Afinogenov from BUF for 2nd overall (frees up cap to re-sign Drury or Briere or both)
Brad Richards from TB
Ales Hemsky from EDM (Philly adds something)
Robyn Regehr from CALG
Zidlicky fromm NASH

millax

Dec 24, 2005
PHI might take that deal: "Would Schneider (#38THN prospect) and the Canucks 1st (#22?)"

PHI would trade the 2nd overall or trade down based on the return.

Rumors I have heard:

Afinogenov from BUF for 2nd overall (frees up cap to re-sign Drury or Briere or both)
Brad Richards from TB
Ales Hemsky from EDM (Philly adds something)
Robyn Regehr from CALG
Zidlicky fromm NASH

Hemsky is untouchable. Unless there was a guy like Ovechkin or Crosby coming back the other way, Lowe wouldn't dare move Hemsky. It would take that kind of a massive overpayment.

sandman08

Dec 12, 2003
Hyderabad, India
Visit site
regardless of whether hemsky is an "untouchable" or not (im not here to debate that is all i mean by that btw) but why would edmonton make that trade? i mean... they DO already have 3 first round picks this year.. what would the point be in trading for yet another 1st rounder this year?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'd like for Dallas to have a high first rounder.....they haven't picked higher than 24th in like 10 years, I think. As of now Dallas doesn't have a 1st in either 07 or 08, so a trade would be nice.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'd like for Dallas to have a high first rounder.....they haven't picked higher than 24th in like 10 years, I think. As of now Dallas doesn't have a 1st in either 07 or 08, so a trade would be nice.

i feel your pain. detroit usually dont start picking until the second round, however im happy with the kindl pick at #19 in 05 so far. and this year we are picking nothing earlier then #28.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Look for Dallas to play it conservative like they always do. I expect them to trade down their highest pick....a 3rd rounder, for a 4th round pick and a young medical trainer with A LOT of potential.

________

Feb 6, 2006

No a trade wouldn't be that good for a draft pick.

Look for Dallas to play it conservative like they always do. I expect them to trade down their highest pick....a 3rd rounder, for a 4th round pick and a young medical trainer with A LOT of potential.

They have a second rounder(Wild's 2nd rounder).

You make it seam like the Stars have never drafted a NHL player with any pick.

Knighttown

Jun 4, 2005

Wah, wah. You guys should strive to have an organization like Columbus. Then you'll get all the early picks you can handle.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad