Any suggestions to expand MLB playoffs?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Any suggestions to expand MLB playoffs without actually going 8 teams in each league? I feel like 8 is too much in a 162 game season. Would a 3 game series between the 2 wildcards in each division fly? Also, how about #2 and #3 in the wildcard play each other, then the winner plays the #1 wildcard team for the right to play in the division series? I just wanna read some of the ideas here.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Do the same format that hockey does. If you want to make the first round a best of 5 I am fine by that.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
6 teams per league. 3 game Wild Card series, 3v6 and 4v5. 3 being the 3rd division winner, and then 3 wild card teams.

This adds value to the regular season because 1 division winner isn't getting a bye, so teams that clinch early still have to fight to the end to avoid the extra round.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
MLBPA would never agree to that.

More playoff games equals more money. Money talks in the sports world. I would think that the players could be more understanding nowadays after having a shortened season last year and the lost revenue.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
More playoff games equals more money. Money talks in the sports world. I would think that the players could be more understanding nowadays after having a shortened season last year and the lost revenue.

You know players don't get paid for playoffs?

Sure some may have a postseason bonus attached to it but almost always that hinges on the a) team making it b) player making it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Also more teams in postseason probably means owners aren't as trigger happy in the off-season. Why spend bug bucks trying to make 4 or 5 spot playoffs when you can spend less and be almost guaranteed to make 8 tram playoffs?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Maintaining more or less the 2020 format (at least until expansion) is what I desire. But the following adjustments should be made:

1. Wild Card Series plays game 1 at the lower seed, 2 and if needed three at the higher seed. This reduces the amount of off days for travel in this round.

2. Removal of playoff berth guarantee for second place teams. This would avoid a potential situation where a team that finishes second in a very weak division getting a playoff berth while a third or lower place team in another division with a better record does not get into the playoffs.

3. Removal of seeding priority for division winners. Last year the Padres had the second best record in the NL, yet only got a #4 seed because they finished in second place behind the #1 seeded Dodgers. As a result, the teams could not meet in the NLCS, only in the NLDS (which they did). I feel the second best team in each league should always have the #2 seed, even if the #1 seed is in the same division. The NBA has realized the problems with seeding priority for division winners, and it is only a matter of time before MLB and the NFL follow suit.

My proposed four-league alignment (itself an altered version of another plan seen on this site) would lead to some adjustments in the playoff format to keep it 16 teams.

The first, best-of-three round would now be the League Division Series. The second, best-of-five round would now be the League Championship Series. The first of the two best-of-seven rounds would now be the National Semifinal Series, which seeds the four pennant winners 1-4 based on regular season record. Winners of those series would go to the World Series.

The single-game wild card round could be reintroduced in this alignment once MLB expands to 40 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00