Any sites that have Assists consolidated by Primary and Secondary?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm doing manual labor on Hockey-Reference.com's scoring game logs by individual player seasons to get assists split by 1st and 2nd. I was wondering if there's an easier way and maybe a certain website has Player seasons and careers already consolidated by 1st and 2nd assists.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
NHL.com goes back to 2009-2010 but their site and stats pages are cancer
Corsica goes back to 2007-2008 but you have to change a buncha things as it defaults to 5v5 only and to a players on ice page.

annoying but not much other options. hockey-ref should update their site to include it

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
NHL.com goes back to 2009-2010 but their site and stats pages are cancer
Corsica goes back to 2007-2008 but you have to change a buncha things as it defaults to 5v5 only and to a players on ice page.

annoying but not much other options. hockey-ref should update their site to include it

I've been planning on doing some analysis of primary vs secondary assists for great players and/or great seasons but I keep putting it off because it would be such a manual process (looking at years prior to 2008). It's still a long-term project of mine, but there's no easy way to go about it unfortunately.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I've been planning on doing some analysis of primary vs secondary assists for great players and/or great seasons but I keep putting it off because it would be such a manual process (looking at years prior to 2008). It's still a long-term project of mine, but there's no easy way to go about it unfortunately.

Hockey-Reference has them going back to the 87-88 season in the "Scoring Logs" section of player pages. I assume that's when Assists were first recorded as either primary/secondary.

But I recall them IP banning you if you try to scrape their site.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hockey-Reference has them going back to the 87-88 season in the "Scoring Logs" section of player pages. I assume that's when Assists were first recorded as either primary/secondary.

But I recall them IP banning you if you try to scrape their site.
Uh, no, primary and secondary assists go back to the 1930s or something. Unfortunately, Hockey-Ref only has detailed game-stats going back to 1987-88. Well, they used to be detailed but now nhl.com has them, so Hockey-Ref had to drop them.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I hate how people say secondary assists are useless(which I assume is the main point of this thread)

Maybe this is an extreme example but how can you not say Barzal was the most important part of this play(basically opening the ice for both Leddy to make the pass to Eberle)

If one was going to properly give credit on this play Ladd deserves some for blocking the goalies POV, but their is no stat that shows us that

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I hate how people say secondary assists are useless(which I assume is the main point of this thread)

Maybe this is an extreme example but how can you not say Barzal was the most important part of this play

I am just baffled by posts like these. I see a variation of this come up again and again here.

Why is it so difficult for some people to grasp that the discussion of the statistical valuation of secondary assists assesses their value on average. It doesn't matter that you can find a play in which the second pass is very impressive.

Of course you can. You can find all kinds of instances for everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->