Any power forward prospects coming up?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Just looking at the Flames prospects, if they pan out, will be a bit small. Lets say Backlund, at his peak is a 50-60 point centre. Then, there will be Bartschi, hopefully Gaudreau, and maybe Janks, Granlund, and Wahl.

The Flames will not be a terribly imposing team. Maybe the Habs of the last few years, best case scenario. I mean, Riley Cote could probably bench press all of those guys at the same time.

The Flames will need a big guy out there, a power forward to play on a line with Bart and whoever else to keep the other team honest. Who's coming up? Well, I'm being a bit biased. He doesn't need to be big, but he needs to be mean.

Ideally, Evander Kane would be my guy but that'll be over Chevy's cold, dead corpse. Am I overthinking this or does this need to be addressed in the future?

Erka

Jan 6, 2013
Maybe if Flames pickup Aleksander Barkov in the 2013 entry draft, he plays in Finland, are 6'2" 205 lbs, he plays a physical game and makes a lot of points, 32 GP - 14 G - 14 A and only 4 PIM in the Finnish Elite League so far this season.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I agree that we need someone like this, and that's why I had hopes for Ferland, and others liked Aliu. Looks like both might be long shots. Does Gary Roberts have a kid we can draft?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ferland is still a possibility, he's off to a slow start, but this is his first pro season as well. He's got the potential, if he makes it through a couple of years of adjustment.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just looking at the Flames prospects, if they pan out, will be a bit small. Lets say Backlund, at his peak is a 50-60 point centre. Then, there will be Bartschi, hopefully Gaudreau, and maybe Janks, Granlund, and Wahl.

The Flames will not be a terribly imposing team. Maybe the Habs of the last few years, best case scenario. I mean, Riley Cote could probably bench press all of those guys at the same time.

The Flames will need a big guy out there, a power forward to play on a line with Bart and whoever else to keep the other team honest. Who's coming up? Well, I'm being a bit biased. He doesn't need to be big, but he needs to be mean.

Ideally, Evander Kane would be my guy but that'll be over Chevy's cold, dead corpse. Am I overthinking this or does this need to be addressed in the future?

Seiloff ;)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The power forward is a dying breed in hockey of the true power forwards there are very few left as the game increases in speed and penalty's are called more often it is harder to be as effective playing as a power forward. I don't really care about getting big we just needed guys that aren't scared of physically regardless of their size.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
The power forward is a dying breed in hockey of the true power forwards there are very few left as the game increases in speed and penalty's are called more often it is harder to be as effective playing as a power forward. I don't really care about getting big we just needed guys that aren't scared of physically regardless of their size.
I agree. And we have a 5'6" prospect who could prove that size and grit is less needed in today's NHL

CalgaryFlames1240

Jul 2, 2011
Windsor
We have a bunch of gritty prospects. Just very few that I see having the potential to fill a top 6 role (let alone top 9.) I still think if everything goes right for Nemisz he still has 3rd line potential and Ferland I see still having a good chance to play in the top 9. Bouma is already a good 4th liner and the same argument could be made for Aliu. Byron is also not afraid to get into the dirty areas and I see him still becoming a 3rd liner with his speed. Not really an intimidating guy but guys who can hold their own and give it to the opposition.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
We have a bunch of gritty prospects. Just very few that I see having the potential to fill a top 6 role (let alone top 9.) I still think if everything goes right for Nemisz he still has 3rd line potential and Ferland I see still having a good chance to play in the top 9. Bouma is already a good 4th liner and the same argument could be made for Aliu. Byron is also not afraid to get into the dirty areas and I see him still becoming a 3rd liner with his speed. Not really an intimidating guy but guys who can hold their own and give it to the opposition.

Aliu + Ferland in the future would probably be enough grit.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Barkov is far from physical player, I mean power forward. It is his great hockey sense what makes him special. Of course he's big, but he's not going to be a power forward.

In my opinion the most interesting power forward with great hands is Valeri Nichuskin.

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Interesting options in this years draft if we finish middle of the pack... Adam Erne comes to mind.

Other notables:
Mantha
Rychel

If we were picking 5 - 8 Monahan would have to be in consideration. Powerful C.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Barkov is far from physical player, I mean power forward. It is his great hockey sense what makes him special. Of course he's big, but he's not going to be a power forward.

In my opinion the most interesting power forward with great hands is Valeri Nichuskin.

Russians are banned from wearing a Flames uniform, pick someone else.

:sarcasm:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The reason I favour a power forward over a grinder like Ferland or Aliu is that the power forwards tend to stick around. Sure, another McCarty would be nice but a player like that is replaceable. A Lucic doesn't come around very often.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
His name is escaping me but their is a center who is slated to go anywhere from 15-25 in the Q who is like 6'5" and putting up some impressive stats.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The reason I favour a power forward over a grinder like Ferland or Aliu is that the power forwards tend to stick around. Sure, another McCarty would be nice but a player like that is replaceable. A Lucic doesn't come around very often.

I agree with this. I want someone who can kickass, but the big thing is he has to be able to play minutes without being out of place.
We sure aren't going to intimidate anyone this year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Yes thank you. If somehow we make the playoffs or pickup another 1st I'd love to pick him up.

That would be awesome! Imagine if Janko develops properly and Frédérik Gauthier becomes a solid number two? That would be a BIG 1-2 punch down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad