Any Positives from Covid-19?

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
The negatives are quite blatant. The list is endless.

But in any bit of darkness, there usually is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for those who seek it.

Am curious. What are the positives if any, that this has brought to you?

Any of those things you would like to see remain post normalcy returning?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
-mRNA vaccines are an obvious one, and just the amount of resources in general that have been dumped into research is great.
-Hopefully more paid sick time and leave time comes from this.
-Perhaps more people will mask up at a super market if they caught a bug.
- More people working from home allows for less commute which means less pollutants used while driving to work. Also, someone like my brother who lives in a small city that has a low cost of living (the wages reflect that) can now apply for work-from-home jobs in LA, NYC, and other major cities that offer much higher wages.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Next Gen vaccine development is a positive for everyone.
Exactly, bringing the mRNA vaccines from stuck waiting for the final push to get to market, cross many studies and to the market place proving their 30 years of work finally, bringing them to the forefront and now able to get closer in them getting utilized for other viruses like influenza.

mRNA vaccines are now the biggest medical advancement of the early part of this century.

Last edited:

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Just started working again for the first time since I got laid off when covid started (and not for a lack of job searching). Even though its a pretty cookie-cutter office job (im a Project Coordinator for a small firm) with average pay, I enjoy going into work everyday. I seem to be the type of person who can grind away at a job for 8hours then wonder why the time flew by, but leave me at home and I am unmotivated, tired, a little depressed.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’ve gotten into stocks and crypto over the past year. I have had a bit of a steep learning curve and definitely made my mistakes along the way but I am slowly getting better at it. I am at the point now that I am making some profits. Especially with crypto.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Me and noone in my family have had any kind of cold or cold symptoms since we all had Covid-19 in may 2020.
A good thing if you get permanently immune against the common cold from it.

Reactions: NyQuil

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I haven’t had to see my mother-in-law in quite a while.

Ugh, I live with mine and we haven't left the house in a year.

But honestly, traffic into work has been a joy. Literally can have dinner with my family every night before my night shifts. Which I haven't been able to do in so long! My work family is incredible. The ability to come together when things are so uncertain and to just deal with this all together is truely amazing (and the scientific and medical community in general has been great with such amazing advancements -- I'm talking about you mRNA).

My husband working from home has been great, he's been able to spend more time with our daughter, and I get to sleep in on the regular (which is nice because I'm pregnant and tired).

It's been nice to slow down a little and focus a bit more on home life and family.

Reactions: gameface

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
The negatives are quite blatant. The list is endless.

But in any bit of darkness, there usually is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for those who seek it.

Am curious. What are the positives if any, that this has brought to you?

Any of those things you would like to see remain post normalcy returning?

Me and my girlfriend got a lot closer as we got to live with each other during WFH rather than being an hour apart. Also WFH.

Reactions: JMCx4

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Me and noone in my family have had any kind of cold or cold symptoms since we all had Covid-19 in may 2020.
A good thing if you get permanently immune against the common cold from it.

I've had a cold the entire summer though :ha:. I'll take that over the past 15 months though.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Me and my girlfriend got a lot closer as we got to live with each other during WFH rather than being an hour apart. Also WFH.
Same with me and my wife, and my now-permanent WFH status while most of my colleagues are trickling back to the office. Both situations will extend my life span ... for more hockey watching! :hockey:

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Less far-travelling fishermen turns up at my favorite creek, so less congestion along the water.
Working remotely from the cabin gave me time to build that smokehouse I always wanted to have. Smoking brownies like never before.

Reactions: Kreator

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Next Gen vaccine development is a positive for everyone.
That’s a huge one. I hope this can lead to a vaccine for something like Lyme disease. I know they have been trying to make vaccines and are apparently close but maybe this will help or maybe not? Being a person outside all the time I pick ticks off me weekly. I feel it’s a matter of when not if for me.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I learned who to cut out from my life.

This was huge for me. When you don't have outside distractions, those who are most toxic in your life, go from being easy to tune out, to deafening.

My circle became so small, that unless you made my life better for being in it, I was better off without you.

Everyone in my circle looks out for one another. Life is short. No need for anyone that doesn't.

Covid gave me so much time to reflect. For me, this was very good, as it has allowed me to really push for my passion for a living, vs what I am highly skilled at.

I know so many people who lost their jobs, and this coupled with some government funding seemed to make it prime to start a business.

I am not going crazy, as apparently there has been a spike in entrepreneurs, realizing their brick and mortar or 9-5 wasn't cutting it for their work and life balance.

The latter of which, became incredibly important to to many, to the tune of no longer being negotiable.

I haven't been bumped into, haven't dealt with crazy traffic.

Most people, have just respected my personal space. As an introvert, that is heaven to me.

Very few have started awkward small talk with me.

Honestly, I can force a cough and make someone leave me alone rather easily.

Not that I am saying I could ever do something that heinous to avoid an awkward conversation with someone I really don't want to talk to. Honest.

Me and my girlfriend got a lot closer

It seems you either got close, or were ringing divorce bells.

Me and my significant other also got closer, but it gave us a chance to see how we dealt with extreme adversity as the past year both have gone through hell and back regarding work, and personal lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EichHart

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
A lot more time with my dog. Work from home became more of an option (working in live sports production means complete work from home is hard to obtain). My wife’s work exploded. She does lashes and brows. I joke that for a year you couldn’t show off your smile so women started showing off their eyes by getting lashes and brows done. We also had 10 weeks where she was off and I was total work from home that was nice to spend with each other.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The pandemic has allowed a lot of companies to evaluate remote working in their environments. We'll see what sticks, but, it has the ability to reduce commutes, and the related impacts that has on the environment and infrastructure requirements.

However, I'm still hesitant to believe this will stick, and think there's a good chance we're all back to the old ways in couple of years.

Reactions: Primary Assist

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Personal
My wife and I lost our a$$e$ financially and have come out this side together and strong. So that was a pretty good stress test

our daughter (my family all had risk factors) lost all her work right In the beginning of everything and as a 27 year, took the extra to prepare, test and get in a Masters program she starts next month.

So, we got financially wrecked, but as a family, I’m proud of how we’ve handled it personally

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
The pandemic has allowed a lot of companies to evaluate remote working in their environments. We'll see what sticks, but, it has the ability to reduce commutes, and the related impacts that has on the environment and infrastructure requirements.

However, I'm still hesitant to believe this will stick, and think there's a good chance we're all back to the old ways in couple of years.
I believe we will see a hybrid model for most companies.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
The pandemic was the reason I managed to completely pivot my career with the same company and had the best year in my professional career. I had been in more or less the same role for over 10 years and was bored and unchallenged, there was not much room for advancement in my role and location. But the pay, benefits and working conditions were too good to leave for "greener pastures". Pandemic hit and my old role had to be put on hold for a few weeks at first, our company was trying to find things to do for all its field staff to avoid layoffs (which they did). I got offered this temporary 3 month role doing something completely different but really interesting that would normally be based out of a US office (I'm in the field in Canada far from the Canadian office). Due to Covid, this project's timeline got extended to over a year and it's at that point the permanent role was opened, I applied and got it. Not expected move either!

And mRNA tech getting the largest scale study possible to test it's safety and effectiveness and passing with flying colours. This is truly a game changer for humanity. We'll be able to treat so many more conditions so effectively. BioNTech will now have unlimited funding and support to continue their work on customized mRNA cancer treatments that they were working on before Covid. It'll likely accelerate the future approval of all similar mRNA based tech.

Reactions: gameface

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
A few lessons to live by:

1. Be adaptable;
2. What may seem like the worst outcome sometimes turns out to be the best outcome especially over time.
3. Sometimes if you look at the big picture it’s overwhelming. So just focus on getting through today.

The positives are that my closest friends and I all share the same values when it comes to promoting and protecting the public health, including our own. I got vaccinated super early because one of my friends told me it was available so I looked into it and was able to get it right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->