Any players, as many as you want, at $12 million per year x 4 years, how many do you take?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
How could you not at least take McDavid? At $12m you're getting a discount on him.

I think 2 players is the sweet spot. Not sure who I'd take as the second player. I'm leaning toward MacKinnon.

Reactions: stopclickbait

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Well played victim card.

TFW you overreact to things you just made up.....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Dirty Dog and V HAB

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
sorry but its literally impossible 9.5m isn't enough to fill 14 roster spot at minimum salary

the team would look horrible even if you take the 6 largest contract in the nhl right now:

Panarin McDavid Spezza
Marleau Matthews Rieder
Zykov Tavares Grant
Leipsic Wallmark Bourque
Gauthier Timashov

Simek Karlsson
MacDermind Doughty
Irwin Weber
Holl

Campbell
Jarry

is barely under this year cap.

Seriously though, why Rieder? When was the last time he did anything?

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Kucherov, Hedman, McDavid would be tempting.

Think I would settle for "just" Kucherov+McDavid and then add a defenceman in the 9-10m range instead.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
With four (arguable) exceptions, every team to win the Stanley Cup since WW2 had two of the following:

1) Franchise-caliber center
2) Norris-quality D-man
3) Vezina quality goaltending

So, I would use this option to acquire those players. In my opinion, there are two centers currently in the league who are players I am 99% sure will be franchise-caliber centers over the next four years (Crosby and McDavid), one defenseman (Victor Hedman), and frankly, no goalies. Outside of those players, I'd say that a very strong case can be made for Malkin, Mackinnon, Scheifele, Marchand, Barkov, Panarin, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Giroux, Bergeron, Seguin, Doughty, Karlsson, Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, and Price, but there are either clearly better options on the table or I don't think the player is quite good enough.

So, I would definitely pick Hedman and one of Crosby/McDavid. I'd be tempted to pick Crosby and McDavid.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Yeah I think my answer is 2 or 3, curious if there are people who would go Up to 5, 6 seems insane but would make sense if this was NBA instead of NHL.

I agree McDavid/Dahlin (or Hedberg as he’s still in his prime more or less), I’d probably take McKinnon to boot.

You must mean Hedman, not Klingberg or Stralman. (As a dutiful Finn I'm envious of those, and Dahlin over Heiskanen, and then, what, Vatanen? We'll play 4F in the next games...)

On the topic, Teravainen is a bargain. Cheap elite winger, emergency center upside.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
With four (arguable) exceptions, every team to win the Stanley Cup since WW2 had two of the following:

1) Franchise-caliber center
2) Norris-quality D-man
3) Vezina quality goaltending

So, I would use this option to acquire those players. In my opinion, there are two centers currently in the league who are players I am 99% sure will be franchise-caliber centers over the next four years (Crosby and McDavid), one defenseman (Victor Hedman), and frankly, no goalies. Outside of those players, I'd say that a very strong case can be made for Malkin, Mackinnon, Scheifele, Marchand, Barkov, Panarin, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Giroux, Bergeron, Seguin, Doughty, Karlsson, Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, and Price, but there are either clearly better options on the table or I don't think the player is quite good enough.

So, I would definitely pick Hedman and one of Crosby/McDavid. I'd be tempted to pick Crosby and McDavid.
How is WW2 relevant to this discussion?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
On the Sabres roster right now I'm taking McDavid and.. Seth Jones or Hedman, not sure which one.

Even were we without Dahlin, I might not pick him. Blasphemous, I know, but I can see him still growing a few years down the line. I want a guy I know is a lockdown dude on the back end right now. As to how to make it all fit under the cap.. that's where my thought experiment ends, because f*** that, dropping Skinner and 15M more makes my brain hurt.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Easy.

You've got to start with the heart and soul kinda guy. Spit, blood and cum. Mark Borowiecki as #1D and captain.

Then after that maybe McDavid or some other plug.

Reactions: Saltcreek

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Interesting thread. Kinda funny it’s literally what the leafs are doing with Matthews marner and jt.

I’d have a mcdavid matthews up front and One of hedman / jones / doughty on the backend

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
f*** it, just give me Boston’s 1st line and, Idk, Seth Jones or Hedman.

Panarin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Hedman

There’s a lot of options but I’m taking at least 3. People say it’s not the NBA but I think that’s only true to a certain extent; Teams ride their best players hard in the playoffs.

sorry but its literally impossible 9.5m isn't enough to fill 14 roster spot at minimum salary

the team would look horrible even if you take the 6 largest contract in the nhl right now:

Panarin McDavid Spezza
Marleau Matthews Rieder
Zykov Tavares Grant
Leipsic Wallmark Bourque
Gauthier Timashov

Simek Karlsson
MacDermind Doughty
Irwin Weber
Holl

Campbell
Jarry

is barely under this year cap.
That’s a horrible team?

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
None

Great teams are built with great depth. If you have one guy at $12 mil that's fine, but any more than that you have to make sacrifices elsewhere in the lineup. That Golden Knights model is a great example, Seattle should follow it.

None. Great

Thats basically saying that as an Oiler fan - if you tried to trade McDavid away to any of the other 30 teams in the league with 500k$ retention for future considerations - all teams should be smart and say no.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Yeah I think my answer is 2 or 3, curious if there are people who would go Up to 5, 6 seems insane but would make sense if this was NBA instead of NHL.

I agree McDavid/Dahlin (or Hedberg as he’s still in his prime more or less), I’d probably take McKinnon to boot.
Yes, Dubas.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
McDavid Matthews and Kucherov.

2 franchise centers and winger.

can fill out the defense and find a starter.
Originally I was thinking Kuch was a bad choice, but given the 4 year term, I think that could make sense. Would give a great balance of playmaking and scoring through all 3 players. As long as rest of offense was replacement or better it would be pretty strong if you ran 3 lines and a checking line

My Choices

Mackinnon - McDavid - Kucherov
Hedman

HM to Matthews (isnt at level of the above yet) and Crosby (next 4 years im not sure he averages out better than MacK)

Leaves 34M for the other 16 players. Figure ~6 of those are on min contracts, that gives you 29ish for 10 players. Plenty to fill out with i think

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad