Any players, as many as you want, at $12 million per year x 4 years, how many do you take?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Hypothetical:

Seattle is told they can poach any players in the league they want at expansion at a cost of $12 million per year (let’s say on 4 year contracts, so 12x4 for arguments sake).

If you’re GM and offered this, how many/who do you take?

Cap is currently 81.5, so the max you could take is 6 players, leaving you 9.5 million to fill out the rest of the team.

Restriction: You cannot turn around and trade these players: they are with you for the full 4 years.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Hypothetical:

Seattle is told they can poach any players in the league they want at expansion at a cost of $12 million per year (let’s say on 4 year contracts, so 12x4 for arguments sake).

If you’re GM and offered this, how many/who do you take?

Cap is currently 81.5, so the max you could take is 6 players, leaving you 9.5 million to fill out the rest of the team.

Restriction: You cannot turn around and trade these players: they are with you for the full 4 years.

None

Great teams are built with great depth. If you have one guy at $12 mil that's fine, but any more than that you have to make sacrifices elsewhere in the lineup. That Golden Knights model is a great example, Seattle should follow it.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I'd take Dahlin and Mcdavid and work from there. I considered Jones but I'm confident Dahlin will be the best Dman in the League in a year or 2. I'm close to taking another center also (Matthews) but probably wouldnt.

You can afford those 2 players at that salary.

Reactions: Marshy71 and Goose

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I'd take Dahlin and Mcdavid and work from there. I considered Jones but I'm confident Dahlin will be the best Dman in the League in a year or 2. I'm close to taking another center also (Matthews) but probably wouldnt.

You can afford those 2 players at that salary.

Yeah I think my answer is 2 or 3, curious if there are people who would go Up to 5, 6 seems insane but would make sense if this was NBA instead of NHL.

I agree McDavid/Dahlin (or Hedberg as he’s still in his prime more or less), I’d probably take McKinnon to boot.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Sign as many as you can that are worth this money then trade a few.

...eh didnt noticed the no trade.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Y
Sign as many as you can that are worth this money then trade a few.

Yeah that’s the right answer, that’s why I put a no trade restriction on the hypothetical though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Of course. At least one, McDavid. But perhaps also Crosby etc. I'd probably pick a total of 3 or 4 players like this.

People who are picking 0 or 1 are IMO not doing it right. The overpay might be 1-2mil but just getting the player is worth more than that. Like think about a trade for Crosby. Would you get him just for taking a cap dump that brings the total salary to 12mil? No chance.

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
sorry but its literally impossible 9.5m isn't enough to fill 14 roster spot at minimum salary

the team would look horrible even if you take the 6 largest contract in the nhl right now:

Panarin McDavid Spezza
Marleau Matthews Rieder
Zykov Tavares Grant
Leipsic Wallmark Bourque
Gauthier Timashov

Simek Karlsson
MacDermind Doughty
Irwin Weber
Holl

Campbell
Jarry

is barely under this year cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvs and Ulysses31

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Maybe I'm a bit more aggressive than most. I would do:

1. McDavid
2. Hedman
3. Dahlin

Leaves $45.5m for the rest of the roster.

Debated adding another C such as Crosby, MacKinnon, or Draisaitl but then you'd need to be really lucky with contracts on the other guys to make it work.

Reactions: Goose

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Hmmmm, 4 years and going for it from the get go....

I'd want Marchand and Bergeron (hate to admit it) Mcdavid obviously.........then who?

Am I weird for saying that? You have to have a great goalie and a top D man but who to choose?

It's an interesting question Kyle :help:

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Hmmmm, 4 years and going for it from the get go....

I'd want Marchand and Bergeron (hate to admit it) Mcdavid obviously.........then who?

Am I weird for saying that? You have to have a great goalie and a top D man but who to choose?

It's an interesting question Kyle :help:

I was curious if anyone would take a goalie (Vas?) for 12. I personally don’t think any goalie is worth over 8 and even then, I would be cringing as a GM if I needed to spend 8 on a goalie.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I was curious if anyone would take a goalie (Vas?) for 12. I personally don’t think any goalie is worth over 8 and even then, I would be cringing as a GM if I needed to spend 8 on a goalie.

If you already have a great goalie like that you pay because you have to, where's your other goalie coming from? They're a crapshoot.

But if you're an expansion team it's different.

Totally new team, does it go smoothly for the best goalies in the league like that? I don't think so. I think you take a top D man like Hedman for example and fill the rest out. Bergy and Marchand can do their line and McDavid can carry his own.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
McDavid Matthews and Kucherov.

2 franchise centers and winger.

can fill out the defense and find a starter.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It is also quite dependent on ELC players. If you have several of those taking up top 6 spots, for example, you can save a good amount of money.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
I think grabbing both McDavid and Draisaitl would be an interesting option, both elite young players who can center and carry their own lines but also have established chemistry if needed. I also like the idea of grabbing Dahlin, as others have proposed, to build the defense around. IMO you can build around three such contracts for such impactful players.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I think grabbing both McDavid and Draisaitl would be an interesting option, both elite young players who can center and carry their own lines but also have established chemistry if needed. I also like the idea of grabbing Dahlin, as others have proposed, to build the defense around. IMO you can build around three such contracts for such impactful players.

So you want to build around what Edm already has while paying them 3M extra? Ya I’d add Dahlin.

edit: upon rereading this it seems you’re trying to bait Drai haters into something. Goodluck :)

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
So you want to build around what Edm already has while paying them 3M extra? Ya I’d add Dahlin.

edit: upon rereading this it seems you’re trying to bait Drai haters into something. Goodluck :)

What? I really don't care what anyone thinks about Draisaitl, I'm not an Oilers fan, I was just sharing my opinion on what I'd do that's all. Now I remember why I barely post here these days.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
What? I really don't care what anyone thinks about Draisaitl, I'm not an Oilers fan, I was just sharing my opinion on what I'd do that's all. Now I remember why I barely post here these days.

Well played victim card.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
And how does the league compensate the teams that lose Matthews, McDavid, Kucherov, Jones, Dahlin, etc?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad