Value of: Any news on Kovalchuk?

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I'm sure somebody will sign him for 700k at some point, but there's so many better players available right now that are still looking for homes. At 37 and coming off a disappointing post-season, he's not in the same position he was when he had had proven himself useful for Montreal. I was hoping Washington would be bring him back. I guess they still can.

Reactions: Morrison

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Montreal could still use some help on the PP and as depth... but I'd be very surprised

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Montreal could still use some help on the PP and as depth... but I'd be very surprised

I think that shipped sailed when Toffoli was brought in. I liked Kovy in Montreal though. Its a shame he didn't sign there instead of LA when he originally came back. I'm sure everybody would be talking about Kovalchuk as a very different player had that been the case.

Reactions: abo9

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i would hope he's khl bound yet again, but like last year there will be desperate teams

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He really enjoyed his time in Montreal but I just do not see the fit. When Montreal picked him up last year they had 4 of their top 9 forwards out with long term injuries. Kovalchuk for a need. He came in motivated but that slowly started to slow down. Everyone talks about how great he did in Montreal but in the end he only had 13 points in 22 games. Then went to Washington and had 4 points in 7 games. Playoffs came and he had 1 assist in 8 games

His biggest issue is that the NHL has turned into a speed game and he is the type of player who slows the game down. I think that he will be hard off to find a NHL job for the money that I would assume that he wants. I can’t see him signing at league minimum or close to when he could get the same in the KHL.

He is at the stage where he is only useful for the power play and in overtime where he has lots of time and space.

He still has lots of skill but in a flat cap world I can’t see a team throwing a couple million his way for a year.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think that shipped sailed when Toffoli was brought in. I liked Kovy in Montreal though. Its a shame he didn't sign there instead of LA when he originally came back. I'm sure everybody would be talking about Kovalchuk as a very different player had that been the case.

Let's just hire him as a shooting coach, it's desperatly needed here

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He was pretty good in his return, but I doubt the money is there.

I'm surprised he didn't go back to St. Petersburg in the meantime.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He'll probably loiter around till near the start of the season then see which team offers him the best balance of situation/money/friends/competitiveness. At least he keeps himself in phenomenal shape.

I think his "promise" was a pure fabrication by some Habs fans.

It's a shame, really. They were getting ready to retire his number up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->