Any McDavid/Crosby level prospects out there? For 2018 or beyond?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
To me, what's perhaps the most interesting thing is how large a repertoire he has in general. I've watched plenty of games in this age category(D1) and he's just about the only one I've seen who regularly even uses "dish" or lob passes as a standard option. And there are tons of little tricks and fakes that also is something that I very very rarely see anyone doing.

This is one example(he's #11):

Just how good is that?

Other attributes(skating, hands, vision), example:

It's true that C2 AAA is a level we have a lot more data on and therefore the next season will be significantly more telling.

Yeah, you don't see someone fake-passing with similar body language that often even in an adult level. That was a nice pass and foxy move. I don't think the second video really does him much justice (I know he has those traits but it's more like watching just a nice clip).

Guess you've seen this already:

And playing vs overage or double overaged peers? Based on how much bigger the other players are I would guess that's not his age group say the least. A coast-to-coast goal where you can see both skating and stick-handling. He just makes it look easy.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, you don't see someone fake-passing with similar body language that often even in an adult level. That was a nice pass and foxy move. I don't think the second video really does him much justice (I know he has those traits but it's more like watching just a nice clip).

Guess you've seen this already:

And playing vs overage or double overaged peers? Based on how much bigger the other players are I would guess that's not his age group say the least. A coast-to-coast goal where you can see both skating and stick-handling. He just makes it look easy.

That one? It's vs players 2 years above his age group, yeah. Just like every clip except for the ones from international competitions. He's played 2 years above his age group since at least the age of 7, I believe. Hmm, I like that clip though. Well, there also was this one cost-to-coast scoring chance pass that was pretty good:

He wasn't really making very many plays like these during this season. I assume it's because his team was very terrible? He was much more involved in the TPS tournament where he was on a significantly stronger team, which is where this above clip for instance is from. Hopefully with the C2 AAA team being properly stacked with all the best players for the age group he'll be more motivated to make plays such as these next season.

It's hard to do him justice with a couple of clips, indeed. He has between the legs passes, spin-o-rama passes and a ridiculous arrangement of tricks in general. His ability to defuse troublesome situations is very impressive and he's very calm under the pressure, even though that stuff isn't really clip material.

Last edited:
Reactions: AUAIOMRN

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
"lagom" meens not bad or good, or just the right amount of someting . Not to much or to little. Depth players you could say in hockey. There not bad and not crazy good but realy crusial to a team.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
"lagom" meens not bad or good, or just the right amount of someting . Not to much or to little. Depth players you could say in hockey. There not bad and not crazy good but realy crusial to a team.
Swedish coaches dosnt focus on one set of skills, instead the kids are taught to be "complete", if you will, 200-foot players that arnt bad at anything. Since SIHA changed there mindset (by introducing BUTU back in '03), the amount of Swedish players in the NHL have sky-rocketed and started getting medals in the World Juniors, which is now leading to "domination" on the senior level as well - because the SIHA wanted to focus on the broader population of kids instead of focusing on a few talanted individuals. BUTU is showing results, and while we don't really get those Peter Forsberg-level rospects each and every year (when did we have that anyway?), the Dahlins, Karlssons, Hedmans, Holsts etc are still showing up

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Swedish coaches dosnt focus on one set of skills, instead the kids are taught to be "complete", if you will, 200-foot players that arnt bad at anything. Since SIHA changed there mindset (by introducing BUTU back in '03), the amount of Swedish players in the NHL have sky-rocketed and started getting medals in the World Juniors, which is now leading to "domination" on the senior level as well - because the SIHA wanted to focus on the broader population of kids instead of focusing on a few talanted individuals. BUTU is showing results, and while we don't really get those Peter Forsberg-level rospects each and every year (when did we have that anyway?), the Dahlins, Karlssons, Hedmans, Holsts etc are still showing up

Its good to have higher standard overall, but i realy miss Forsberg. The Forsberg thats in NHL now aint realy close. Better than "lagom" but not Foppa level. I have high hope on Holtz. But more as a uncomplicaded sniper.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

For the bolded -- not in best on best.

But yes, Sweden does have a strong national program.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hughes probably has potential to be a Patrick Kane/Johnny Gaudreau level talent in the NHL. That's a tier below 87/97 though. I don't think there are any prodigies or guys on those 2's level at this time.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If they're out there we won’t hear about them for a few more years. These players don’t come around too often.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Im willing to make an exception for Ovi, but I dont think 2 at a time is the norm. There was some overlap with Mario and Wayne, but they peaked at different times.

Ovechkin just claimed his 7th Rocket Richard trophy.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Gretzky and Mario were born 4 years apart, that's most certainly the same generation. Either there can be 2 generational players from the same generation, or the term has no meaning.

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
Europe is not so much followed. Here are my 2 picks:

Danil Gushchin - CSKA Moscow U17 (2020 draft)
Next Ovechkin.

LD Aron Kiviharju - TPS, FIN JRS (2024 Draft)
Originally Posted by FinProspects
Laine, Granlund, Puljujärvi stood out at very, very young age. Everyone in Oulu-area knew Granlund at age of 11. Puljujärvi was 11 when they wrote the legendary article of him scoring 8 goals in the SM-Bandy final, which ended 8-7. At age of 13 Pulju moved to Oulu and started in C-juniors, and everyone here already knew him. Ville Nieminen said that Laine was noticed when he was under 10y old, because he was scoring goals all the time.
if you are special, age doesn’t really matter.

What’s the scouting report on gushchin?

Why do you have him compared to the “next ovy”?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Im willing to make an exception for Ovi, but I dont think 2 at a time is the norm. There was some overlap with Mario and Wayne, but they peaked at different times.

Such an awful argument. Props to you for actually answering the Sid/Ovi question, usually the "one generational player at a time" posters just ignore it. Mario and Wayne certainly count as well, seems most generational players co-exist with others, this isn't even getting into Malkin who is often grouped with Sid and Ovi.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Gretzky and Mario were born 4 years apart, that's most certainly the same generation. Either there can be 2 generational players from the same generation, or the term has no meaning.
Seems like you've accidentally stumbled onto the real answer

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I don't follow prospects much, so I'm genuinely asking.

Crosby/McDavid are the 2 best prospects in the hockey world in the past 20 years (maybe throw Ovi in there too, though i think he was slightly less hyped).

Are any prospects legitimately looking to be in the same tier as those guys? Is Dahlin? Anyone else in 2018 or in 2019 and beyond?

I know we've had a lot of very strong prospects the past couple of years (Eichel, Matthews, Laine) but none of them were on the same tier as McDavid as a prospect. If given a chance 30 teams out of 30 pick McDavid first at the draft.

Curious to see what everyone thinks. I know it's a bit harder to project for players stilll 1-2 years out of draft year, but you typically get a sense early on for those things.

By "same tier" - it should mean that if McDavid and said prospect would be available in the same year, it's a 50/50 chance who a team would select between the 2.
Alexis Lafreniere

To put it in perspective, Filip Zadina is slated to go 3rd-5th overall this year. He just BARELY outscored Lafreniere, who will not be drafted for 2 more years and played on a far worse team. He would be 1st overall in this years draft and he has 2 years of growing and developing left to do.

I posted this back in March
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/143524313/

Shortly after, TSN did a piece asking if he would be the next Hockey prodigy.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Alexis Lafreniere

To put it in perspective, Filip Zadina is slated to go 3rd-5th overall this year. He just BARELY outscored Lafreniere, who will not be drafted for 2 more years and played on a far worse team. He would be 1st overall in this years draft and he has 2 years of growing and developing left to do.

I posted this back in March
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/143524313/

Shortly after, TSN did a piece asking if he would be the next Hockey prodigy.

I don't think he'd go ahead of Dahlin.

I'll need to see more of him, but so far, stats aside and from what I've seen, he's no ton the Crosby/McDavid level. I saw a ton of Crosby in junior and you just knew he was something special, and that wasn't long after guys like Lecavalier and Richards tore it up in Rimouski. But you could still instantly tell Crosby was another breed.

From the little I've seen of Lafreniere, he's closer to Lecavalier than Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad