Any Idiot Can Start A Budget Thread--Melnyk and Team Finances III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
The majority of the players in FA go where the money is at, so if you have$7M or $12M - I don't think we'd have a hard time spending those dollars on a better player or two rather in FA or trade.

While we don't have a cap crippling team, you still have to spend your money better when you have limited funds to work with.

member 137785

I'll only be pissed at the Euge if we don't get Methot re-signed over an extra year or million.

I support what they are doing so far, but we need Methot to optimize the investment in Karlsson.

As for signing Phillips, you have to do things as an organization for your vets to prove to players that Ottawa is a good destination, an extra $750k for Phillips is nothing considering how far from the cap they are.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I remember all the good times I had in here reading how we were never going to spend any money and be a team that perpetually loses all it's young talented players because we can't afford to pay them. I wonder what all of you naysayers have to say today.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I remember all the good times I had in here reading how we were never going to spend any money and be a team that perpetually loses all it's young talented players because we can't afford to pay them. I wonder what all of you naysayers have to say today.

Its a shame we have to attach Greening to Lehner when a buyout should be an option?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Yeah, i was stupid. I realized this last year when i predicted this years payroll.

Ryan 7,250,000
macarthur 4,650,000
Michalek 4,000,000
Stone 3,500,000
Turris 3,500,000
Legwand 3,000,000
Greening 2,650,000
Zibanejad 2,625,000
Neil 1,900,000
Smith 1,887,000
Lazar 1,254,000
Pageau 900,000
Hoffman*****
Chiasson*****
Condra***
TOTAL: 37,117,000

Karlsson 6,500,000
Methot 4,900,000
Cowen 3,100,000
Phillips 2,500,000
Wiercioch 2,000,000
Ceci 1,369,000
Gryba 1,250,000
Borowiecki 1,100,000
TOTAL: 22,719,000

Anderson 4,200,000
Lehner 2,225,000
Hammond 1,350,000
TOTAL: 7,750,000

TOTAL: 67,586,000
SALARY CAP: 71,400,000

We have 3,814,000 cap space to resign hoffman,chiasson and condra.

Obviously decisions will be made. Hopefully we can get rid of some contracts(legwand,neil,phillips,greening,gryba etc), we might not resign condra.

Either way, we're pretty damn close now. Gone is the room for any significant UFA.

Edit: I really hope we do buyout someone like greening or legwand or both.

Last edited:

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

It is funny reading. Melnyk did exactly what he said he would do.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Greening and Lehner have to go to stay on budget and Hoffman will probably have to sign a lower-end deal too. And Murray has said he needs to move out another contract (probably Legwand). We are still a budget team but that's ok right now. It's when DJ Z, Stone, Hoffman go to UFA and 652Norris gets his next contract that things might get dicey.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Greening and Lehner have to go to stay on budget and Hoffman will probably have to sign a lower-end deal too. And Murray has said he needs to move out another contract (probably Legwand). We are still a budget team but that's ok right now. It's when DJ Z, Stone, Hoffman go to UFA and 652Norris gets his next contract that things might get dicey.

Not to mention when he has to re-sign Turris and determine what to spend on the rest of the D core.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
No. This was supposed to be the dicey year. Now that Melnyk and Murray are proving true to their word we're just punting it out a few years thinking it has to be true eventually? The classic definition of never happy.

WhiteLight*

With all these backloaded contracts (Mika, Stone, Greening, Cowen, Ryan, Turris, just to name a few), have the Sens already reached their budget maximum for 2016-17?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We have the room we need to keep the guys we want, and all of our "bad" contracts will be off the books next year when we may be better positioned to add a piece to make a run, that or continue to re-sign our players that we want to keep.

It has been a financial plan well executed, and the new contracts we're seeing have been well made.

This is what Melnyk and Murray said they were doing, and yet many posters in here argued vehemently otherwise. The issue I have is that now that management has been shown to have been true to their word there is nary a peep from the "haters", no crow eating, no positive words, or humble praise.

Just silence. That's always been the one thing I really dislike around here, people run off at the mouth (fingers) all the time, and when proved wrong by circumstance they fade away into the wood work or move the goal posts.

What ever happened to being able to admit when you were wrong, and enjoy that on here being wrong usually means something went right!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We have the room we need to keep the guys we want, and all of our "bad" contracts will be off the books next year when we may be better positioned to add a piece to make a run, that or continue to re-sign our players that we want to keep.

It has been a financial plan well executed, and the new contracts we're seeing have been well made.

This is what Melnyk and Murray said they were doing, and yet many posters in here argued vehemently otherwise. The issue I have is that now that management has been shown to have been true to their word there is nary a peep from the "haters", no crow eating, no positive words, or humble praise.

Just silence. That's always been the one thing I really dislike around here, people run off at the mouth (fingers) all the time, and when proved wrong by circumstance they fade away into the wood work or move the goal posts.

What ever happened to being able to admit when you were wrong, and enjoy that on here being wrong usually means something went right!

Hey, i'm happily admitting i was wrong. :yo:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

The thread bump was 35 minutes ago, and a poster already admitted he was wrong about the situation.

Stop the "where are you people now?" witch hunt.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I said right from the beginning that I wasn't going to get angry with the "budget team" talk until it costs us one of our great young players.

It hasn't happened yet. We've re-signed everyone we were supposed to sign.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
The thread bump was 35 minutes ago, and a poster already admitted he was wrong about the situation.

Stop the "where are you people now?" witch hunt.
You're right but I wouldn't be surprised is this thread is at the bottom of the main Sens board by tomorrow evening. :) It just feels that sometimes people are TRYING to be negative. I hope I'm wrong.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
It's really unfortunate how insufferable these boards were because of Melnyk hate (mostly budget related).

We're seeing the plan pay off now with an abundance of young players trending upwards and a realistic shot at being able to keep most of them in the long run. I hope the posters who spent months and months dwelling in "worst case scenario" and the "sky is falling" mentalities can look back and objectively see how obnoxious they were and that they could have enjoyed the ride with the rest of us instead of *****ing and moaning non stop like entitled children.

I'd love to see an apology letter written to Melnyk from the poster who felt strongly enough in speculation and conspiracy theories to call on the man to give up the franchise he saved because he wasn't worthy or capable of being the owner.

That's all the ranting I'll do on this subject. Now I'm looking forward to the next few years from this young and promising roster that I have really enjoyed seeing develop together. Hopefully we can all agree to be grateful for what we have and to remember that we watch hockey for fun!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Like always, there's nobody answering the call... As long as I have been here, I have witnessed the same thing. People whine and complain, and when they're proved wrong, they disappear. At least, some are able to eat crow. Good on them.

It is funny reading. Melnyk did exactly what he said he would do.

Any idiot could have figured this out (lol). The team was always financially positionned like that (RFA contracts coming up timed with UFA contracts ending up). NHL teams are not idiots, they manage a multi-millions business and know what they are doing, they have financial advisors, of course. Business 101, but we can't expect everyone to understand it, we all have fields with more knowledge and understanding.

One truth about this board but more to the "yapping mouthing" :

"'cause your mouth's writing checks that your ass
can't cash knocked straight the **** out
'cause your mouth's writing checks that your ass
can't cash"

- Fred Durst

Last edited:

BigBush*

It's really unfortunate how insufferable these boards were because of Melnyk hate (mostly budget related).

We're seeing the plan pay off now with an abundance of young players trending upwards and a realistic shot at being able to keep most of them in the long run. I hope the posters who spent months and months dwelling in "worst case scenario" and the "sky is falling" mentalities can look back and objectively see how obnoxious they were and that they could have enjoyed the ride with the rest of us instead of *****ing and moaning non stop like entitled children.

I'd love to see an apology letter written to Melnyk from the poster who felt strongly enough in speculation and conspiracy theories to call on the man to give up the franchise he saved because he wasn't worthy or capable of being the owner.

That's all the ranting I'll do on this subject. Now I'm looking forward to the next few years from this young and promising roster that I have really enjoyed seeing develop together. Hopefully we can all agree to be grateful for what we have and to remember that we watch hockey for fun!

Thank you! I have shared this thought/opinion for quite awhile now.

Totally correct on how awful these boards were for awhile and how Melnyk was uses as a cop out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad