Any German Hockey Fans?

Tommy C

Mar 18, 2013
Germany
Hey I just wanted to say hello to the boards I'm new. And I wanted to ask if there is any German hockey fans in my Area? I'm American former US soldier now living Wiesbaden for good. And I have NHL Gamecenter do a hockey podcast and youtube videos and no body to talk hockey with outside of my podcast hosts. I go for morning Skates here is Wiesbaden from time to time. Also I would like to learn more about the DEL and German Minor hockey system and where the inline hockey games are at? I'll be honest my German is not that great but I'm trying to make more of an effort. Hope to hear from someone!

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hey I just wanted to say hello to the boards I'm new. And I wanted to ask if there is any German hockey fans in my Area? I'm American former US soldier now living Wiesbaden for good. And I have NHL Gamecenter do a hockey podcast and youtube videos and no body to talk hockey with outside of my podcast hosts. I go for morning Skates here is Wiesbaden from time to time. Also I would like to learn more about the DEL and German Minor hockey system and where the inline hockey games are at? I'll be honest my German is not that great but I'm trying to make more of an effort. Hope to hear from someone!

I live not too far from Wiesbaden (about 20-30 minutes by car).
I know a little bit about the DEL and the lower tier leagues, although I am far from an expert. But I have absolutley no clue when it comes to inline hockey in Germany.

By the way my German isn't all that great either, at least according to my teachers back in highschool all those years ago. ;)

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Well German yes, but I live between Nürnberg and Stuttgart, so it's quit a bit up to Wiesbaden and I'm not that well into the DEL, because every game I looked on TV was really bad, so I decided to stop looking games and only go to Mannheim games every once in a while.

Tommy C

Mar 18, 2013
Germany
Well German yes, but I live between Nürnberg and Stuttgart, so it's quit a bit up to Wiesbaden and I'm not that well into the DEL, because every game I looked on TV was really bad, so I decided to stop looking games and only go to Mannheim games every once in a while.

I have to honest (not being insulting) I have not been very impressed from I have saw so far, I think the AHL and ECHL is a bit better. I think one of the problems is the same problem we had in the states in late 80's early 90's.

The Rangers are on Free TV and The Devils are not, = more Rangers fans. Even the games outside NY market games of the week was not on on pay TV, no exposure. All that changed in the mid 90's and the NHL got bigger in US, Canada does not need that kind of help :laugh:

The DEL has to get some of their games, maybe even just local team games on free TV. Kids need to see it, if they don't they kids will not become German Hockey stars in great numbers. This is a great way to compete with Soccer\Football the NHL has to compete with Baseball, NFL, NBA this is how they do it. If you have to pay extra for a game you know nothing about you never get bigger you never make hockey players. German Hockey needs to grow otherwise current German hockey fans will just Buy Game-center and never care about their local teams. How do they do it in North Europe might be worth looking into.

Hockey is a great sport for Germany, its cold weather and very rich country. Germans have a great sense of sportsmanship and fairness, they just need to see it and they need their kids to play it on ice or inline!

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
I have to honest (not being insulting) I have not been very impressed from I have saw so far, I think the AHL and ECHL is a bit better. I think one of the problems is the same problem we had in the states in late 80's early 90's.

This goes to far ;).The Top DEL Teams have good AHL standard.
There are many Canadians in Germany who played a long time a good role in the AHL. Some played NHL too.
The best known is maybe Matt Pettinger.
The reason it looks different are the bigger rinks in my opinion.
You dont have so much hits as in the NHL for example.

It sad hockey isnt bigger here.
I for example life near CZ.Its cold here we have good conditions for playing hockey.
The lakes are frozen here in the winter but near nobody plays hockey.

Last edited:

Tommy C

Mar 18, 2013
Germany
This goes to far ;).The Top DEL Teams have good AHL standard.
There are many Canadians in Germany who played a long time a good role in the AHL. Some played NHL too.
The best known is maybe Matt Pettinger.
The reason it looks different are the bigger rinks in my opinion.
You dont have so much hits as in the NHL for example.

It sad hockey isnt bigger here.
I for example life near CZ.Its cold here we have good conditions for playing hockey.
The lakes are frozen here in the winter but near nobody plays hockey.

Like I said not being insulting just my opinion, could be wrong. Bigger rinks is a good point just don't see it.......yet

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Hi Tommy C. I live close to Bonn and follow NHL, KHL, DEL and all kinds of US sports haha.

DEL level is different from game to game. Dunno why but sometimes you almost fall asleep by watching a game in the arena and then they deliver top class hockey from time to time. :naughty:

I always thought the Wiesbaden region is full of Adler Mannheim fans. I guess it's all about soccer there (Eintracht Frankfurt?). :D

Tommy C

Mar 18, 2013
Germany
Hi Tommy C. I live close to Bonn and follow NHL, KHL, DEL and all kinds of US sports haha.

DEL level is different from game to game. Dunno why but sometimes you almost fall asleep by watching a game in the arena and then they deliver top class hockey from time to time. :naughty:

I always thought the Wiesbaden region is full of Adler Mannheim fans. I guess it's all about soccer there (Eintracht Frankfurt?). :D

And Mainz 05 and if I find a Wiesbaden Hockey fan I'll let you know what team he or she supports. LOL :D

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Their like in the 3rd league now.....

Yes but they still draw bigger crowds than some DEL teams.

Frankfurt and Kassel are both still quite popular in their respective region despite playing in lower leagues.

Tommy C

Mar 18, 2013
Germany
Yes but they still draw bigger crowds than some DEL teams.

Frankfurt and Kassel are both still quite popular in their respective region despite playing in lower leagues.

Really, Hmmmmmmm Its playoff time maybe I should find this Rink and Check them out.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Really, Hmmmmmmm Its playoff time maybe I should find this Rink and Check them out.

Well last year I think both teams (Kassel and Frankfurt) had an average attendance figure in the range of 3500-4000.
This year I think it is a bit lower. But right now they are playing each other in the playoffs (next game is in Frankfurt on Friday), and last year there were over 5000 people at one game when they played each other. Which is a pretty good crowd for a game in the 3rd tier league in Germany.

In the DEL Wolfsburg and Hannover had a worse attendance than Frankfurt and Kassel and München, Ingolstadt and Iserlohn were about the same.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, not from the area myself, but it's a good spot to be as a hockey fan from the US. Plenty of teams playing in the area, more than anywhere except for the deep south. I have played a couple tournaments in the area against teams consisting mainly of Americans and Canadians, many great people.

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
My daughter is in the Army, she made it to three games in Nuremburg this year, she said her screaming and wearing her Red Wing jersey drew a few stairs but many more smiles than frowns.

Shadowthrone

Zombies Welcome
Sep 24, 2006
Franconia, Germany

If you live a bit closer to Nürnberg than Stuttgart you should be pretty close to me :nod:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Hey! I live near Dusseldorf and there are lots of DEG fans around here!
Tommy C said:
The DEL has to get some of their games, maybe even just local team games on free TV. Kids need to see it, if they don't they kids will not become German Hockey stars in great numbers. This is a great way to compete with Soccer\Football the NHL has to compete with Baseball, NFL, NBA this is how they do it. If you have to pay extra for a game you know nothing about you never get bigger you never make hockey players. German Hockey needs to grow otherwise current German hockey fans will just Buy Game-center and never care about their local teams.
The DEL started showing some games on free-TV (servus TV) and on laola1.com. So they do try to make hockey more popular here. However, I only watched some Playoff games on TV, two live games in Dusseldorf and a few in the Oberliga (3rd). But I also have ESPN America here and sometimes watch WHL or OHL games so I'm much more interested in NA hockey.

Junior hockey in Germany is a complete different thing. In NA people even watch PeeWee hockey to scout the next Draft-Prospects, don't they? The only persons who watch German Junior hockey are probably parents or other family members.

Horbi

Feb 5, 2013
Hey! I live near Dusseldorf and there are lots of DEG fans around here!

The DEL started showing some games on free-TV (servus TV) and on laola1.com. So they do try to make hockey more popular here. However, I only watched some Playoff games on TV, two live games in Dusseldorf and a few in the Oberliga (3rd). But I also have ESPN America here and sometimes watch WHL or OHL games so I'm much more interested in NA hockey.

Junior hockey in Germany is a complete different thing. In NA people even watch PeeWee hockey to scout the next Draft-Prospects, don't they? The only persons who watch German Junior hockey are probably parents or other family members.

Hi Folks, did anybody encounter the same problem? I have NHL Game Center Live and also ESPN America in case that ESPN has the broadcast rights and GCL is blacked out then in Germany. A few weeks ago I tried to watch Avalanche vs. Canucks on GCL but it was blacked out. So I switched on my TV but ESPN America showed baseball (boring).....I tried to reach the customer service of ESPN America but no answer at all. So basically I have two packages but no hockey. What if that happens now again during the playoffs :help:

hage

Mar 9, 2011
Hi Folks, did anybody encounter the same problem? I have NHL Game Center Live and also ESPN America in case that ESPN has the broadcast rights and GCL is blacked out then in Germany. A few weeks ago I tried to watch Avalanche vs. Canucks on GCL but it was blacked out. So I switched on my TV but ESPN America showed baseball (boring).....I tried to reach the customer service of ESPN America but no answer at all. So basically I have two packages but no hockey. What if that happens now again during the playoffs :help:

That's because gamecenter blocks all games to which ESPN America has the rights, regardless of whether espn america actually airs the game or not.

I don't think it will be much of an issue for the playoffs since playoff hockey hopefully beats airing regular season baseball (to me any hockey always beats any baseball ;) )

But just in case: You can use the addon Stealthy for Firefox and Google Chrome to bypass the blackouts on nhl gamecenter.

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
As a half-German I am a big fan of German hockey and Germans succeeding! I am actually looking to move to Germany within the next year. I have two questions for those of you who live there. Firstly, I coach competitive hockey and would love to volunteer and coach minor/junior hockey.
Secondly, I am a high school teacher and was wondering what are the opportunities for teaching high school in English there?
My relatives have been unhelpful to date and my German is not good enough to teach in.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
As a half-German I am a big fan of German hockey and Germans succeeding! I am actually looking to move to Germany within the next year. I have two questions for those of you who live there. Firstly, I coach competitive hockey and would love to volunteer and coach minor/junior hockey.
Secondly, I am a high school teacher and was wondering what are the opportunities for teaching high school in English there?
My relatives have been unhelpful to date and my German is not good enough to teach in.

I am not sure if this will help you but here you can find a list of international and bilingual schools in Germany:

http://internationalschoolsingermany.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad