Any Franchises in danger?

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Pretty sure that would be illegal. This is not a lockout and the player contracts are signed.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't players salaries adjusted to reflect a 50/50 split of Hockey Related Revenue (HRR)?
(This format was agreed to by both the owners and the players)

If this is the case, and there are no fans, and revenues are next to zero, then wouldn't players be entitled to 50% of that number?

What would be illegal with this?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If I'm not mistaken, aren't players salaries adjusted to reflect a 50/50 split of Hockey Related Revenue (HRR)?

If this is the case, and there are no fans, and revenues are next to zero, then wouldn't players be entitled to 50% of that number?

They made a new agreement over the summer before the bubble. You might want to catch up on those details. It affects the next 3 seasons salary.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

The 50/50 is in regard to setting the cap. Player salary is not adjusted depending on revenue every year. Yes there is escrow, but no return if revenues are more than expected and there is a maximum escrow they cannot just go 100%. I just don't see it ending well if teams don't play their players this year because of no fan in the stand.

They already agreed to a flat cap and a cap of 20% escrow.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
They made a new agreement over the summer before the bubble. You might want to catch up on those details. It affects the next 3 seasons salary.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in this "new agreement" the main issues that were changed over the previous CBA were a 10% salary hold-back/deferral, a cap on escrow (20% with decreasing intervals), and an agreement to a flat cap as a stabilization mechanism until HRR rebounds.

None of this effects the concept of the 50/50 revenue split that I outlined above.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Correct me if I am wrong, but in this "new agreement" the main issues that were changed over the previous CBA were a 10% salary hold-back/deferral, a cap on escrow (20% with decreasing intervals), and an agreement to a flat cap as a stabilization mechanism until HRR rebounds.

None of this effects the concept of the 50/50 revenue split that I outlined above.
Escrow is the tool used to maintain 50/50. An escrow cap essentially throws out the 50/50 revenue split.

Reactions: Name Nameless

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Florida ? I know they have a sweet lease agreement in sunrise but they gotta be a tad nervous, no?
The Panthers owner is so rich that the hockey team is a toy to play with. Florida will be fine.....

I think the Coyotes are the most vulnerable team right now. When a team can't get the food allowance to the players in the bubble on time I would view that as a red flag

Last edited by a moderator:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I think the Coyotes are the most vulnerable team right now. When a team can't get the food allowance to the players in the bubble on time I would view that as a red flag

I got the impression the Coyotes had a massive turn-over in staff, partly involunarily. I also got the impression those payments were one day late.

So I get the feeling you are making this look more bad than it was, even if -of course- it was an embarrassment.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I got the impression the Coyotes had a massive turn-over in staff, partly involunarily. I also got the impression those payments were one day late.

So I get the feeling you are making this look more bad than it was, even if -of course- it was an embarrassment.
The coyotes have been a team on the brink for years and the food allowance thing was a little thing on top of continuous problems with the franchise. The team has lost money for years and the whole Covid thing could very well be the death blow to the team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Coyotes playing in Quebec City within a few years.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
The coyotes have been a team on the brink for years and the food allowance thing was a little thing on top of continuous problems with the franchise. The team has lost money for years and the whole Covid thing could very well be the death blow to the team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Coyotes playing in Quebec City within a few years.
That would throw the East /West Balance off again though and I don't see Columbus or Detroit volunteering to come back to the West
cut.jpg

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Last edited:

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
https://www.financemagnates.com/ins...irtu-financial-sees-141-q2-2020-revenue-jump/

View attachment 375118

Think in 2018 Viola was worth around $1.73 billion and now in 2020, it says his net worth is up to $2.5 billion.

He's likely nearing one of the top 10 richest owners in NHL. He was 13th according to this article below

The 15 richest billionaire NHL club owners, and how they made their fortune

I was actually looking for a source for the second part of your comment...about cutting staff salaries.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
My guess is that if some teams can not play infront of fans they won't operate.
That's something I've been wondering about as well. Without fans, most of the revenue is gone. Would think many owners could prefer not having a season if there's no (or very few) fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->