Any defensemen considered possible #1 overall picks?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I see a whole lot of uncertainty over who will be the #1 overall pick. I see a lot of talk about Voracek, Esposito, Gagner, Couture...but I don't see any of the top defensemen who are supposedly just as good a la Alzner, Katic, Ellerby...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I see a whole lot of uncertainty over who will be the #1 overall pick. I see a lot of talk about Voracek, Esposito, Gagner, Couture...but I don't see any of the top defensemen who are supposedly just as good a la Alzner, Katic, Ellerby...

I don't know about 1st overall since it's very early yet and it's wide open right now. But I could see Alzner as the first defensemen picked, I like what I've seen from him, solid all round.

turnbuckle*

Have you looked at the scouting lists or read what I've written in the past week?

Alzner's the only player in every top four scouting list if I'm not mistaken, which says to me he has as good a chance as anyone of being drafted first overall this season. If you ask me he's the only prospect besides Espo that looks like a surefire top five pick at this point.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
As turnbuckle said, Alzner stands a chance. The others (ellerby, katic, Petrecki, etc) are falling behind, and won't be 1st overall considerations unless they have huge second halves.

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
It looks like Alzner has faired well in the first two games with team Canada. If he has a good showing I could see him going top 3, maybe #1.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The names I probably see the most for the top 5 are:

Gagner
Kane
Voracek
Esposito
Alzner

Probably in that order.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
What about Turris? He seems to be all over the map. Some think he should go number 1 overall whereas I see him not even in the top 20 in some reports.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
#1GuinFan said:
As turnbuckle said, Alzner stands a chance. The others (ellerby, katic, Petrecki, etc) are falling behind, and won't be 1st overall considerations unless they have huge second halves.

I would agree that Nick Petrecki probably won't be a first-overall candidate, but I don't see how he's "falling behind."

He's not an offensive powerhouse by any means, but then, he's never been projected as one.

The Blues have a pretty loaded stable of defense prospects already, but I'd give serious consideration to Petrecki if the Blues continue to surge under Andy Murray and don't get a lottery pick.

P_B

:bb:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

While I've heard from some scouts and USHL players that Petrecki is a top 5 talent, I don't see him ending up there. He's gotta have a HUGE 2nd half because there's no other showcase for hime before the draft. He's not on the US's WJC roster so it's the USHL season or bust.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
While I've heard from some scouts and USHL players that Petrecki is a top 5 talent, I don't see him ending up there. He's gotta have a HUGE 2nd half because there's no other showcase for hime before the draft. He's not on the US's WJC roster so it's the USHL season or bust.

He's already playing better than last year. He just hardly gets any press.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
A good WJC and ending the year as the OHL's leading scorer, I believe, will push Kane into the top 5.

It seems to me that scouts would want to see something else from Kane other than offensive achievements. Right now, at the junior level that is a given. While those are nice, I'd like to see how he battles, if he improves his defensive awareness, etc. I'm just leary of giving a 5'10'' more offensively inclined forward a top 5 slot. IMO Voracek, Gagner, JvR, Turris and I'd even argue Couture bring just as much offense while bringing other intangibles and skills.

Muad'Dib

Jun 29, 2006
Arrakis
I have been trying to lead the Alzner bandwagon for over a month now and I have been waiting for more people to jump on. Back in November I asked who would people take 1st overall and I was the only one to choose Alzner. I don't know whether it takes people more time to come around to a prospect that wasn't hyped coming into this year or because he is an all-around player that does everything well but is not exceptional in any one area. IMO, give me a solid complete d-man over a good offensive forward any day of the week (exceptions being if the forward is an elite offensive talent).

As for the other d-man, I believe Ellerby and Petrecki are the next best and should go in the 7-10 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->