OT: Any consistent 1080p+ streaming services?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Looking to cut the cable finally, but the main thing I have it for is HD hockey, and from what I can find, 720p 30 fps seems to be the max you get with the paid sportsnet streaming service. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Paying a subscription fee for a 720p 30 fps stream in 2021 seems barbaric. I was hoping to do a discord stream with all my hockey buddies where we can stream the game live and all watch together and not have any delay differences until the lockdown ends, but the quality of the sportsnet feed means the ones with cable would rather watch on TV which is usually significantly ahead than any online feeds, so even if we're on the same call, the timings won't line up.

Anyone found any solutions to this, or are sports streaming services being bad going to continue to be the only reason I have cable?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Looking to cut the cable finally, but the main thing I have it for is HD hockey, and from what I can find, 720p 30 fps seems to be the max you get with the paid sportsnet streaming service. Anyone know if this is accurate?

Paying a subscription fee for a 720p 30 fps stream in 2021 seems barbaric. I was hoping to do a discord stream with all my hockey buddies where we can stream the game live and all watch together and not have any delay differences until the lockdown ends, but the quality of the sportsnet feed means the ones with cable would rather watch on TV which is usually significantly ahead than any online feeds, so even if we're on the same call, the timings won't line up.

Anyone found any solutions to this, or are sports streaming services being bad going to continue to be the only reason I have cable?

Would love to know the same myself. Sports streaming services seem to be lacking all things considered, maybe by the time of the next TV deal something will come up

Reactions: 3IR
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Would love to know the same myself. Sports streaming services seem to be lacking all things considered, maybe by the time of the next TV deal something will come up

I mean.. unsure if it’s against the rules, but I’ve seen some websites that offer hockey at 1080p I believe. Just PM me if you’d like.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I mean.. unsure if it’s against the rules, but I’ve seen some websites that offer hockey at 1080p I believe. Just PM me if you’d like.

yeah I’ve seen a few which blows my mind, but I’m looking to keep it legit and reliable lol.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

I don't get why they would purposefully downgrade to 30fps, that's not even watchable imo.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

You mean Hockey streaming :)

Football is fantastic.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not sure if this is new or not, but recd this email from SN today:

HOCKEY SEASON BEGINS TODAY!
We've got some exciting news for hockey fans!

Beginning this season, a subscription to SN NOW+ includes access to NHL LIVETM.

This means you will be able to access EVERY NHL GAME THIS SEASON, BLACKOUT-FREE.

How does this work?

As a resident of Alberta, SN NOW is already the home of every Flames and Oilers game, blackout-free. By adding NHL LIVETM, an out-of-market product, any NHL game not available in SN NOW, can be accessed through NHL LIVETM.

How do I access NHL LIVE once I signup?

After purchasing SN NOW+, proceed to NHL.com or the NHL app, click Sign In and input your existing login credentials. Once you accept the Terms and Conditions, you will be able to access all out-of-market games via the NHL app on your device of choice.

Will SN NOW ($19.99/mth or $199.99/yr) still have every Flames and Oilers game?

Yes.

As an in-market Flames or Oilers fan, SN NOW will continue to be home to all games, blackout-free.

SN NOW+ will enable you to get every NHL game for the season.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

This means you will be able to access EVERY NHL GAME THIS SEASON, BLACKOUT-FREE.

How does this work?

As a resident of Alberta, SN NOW is already the home of every Flames and Oilers game, blackout-free. By adding NHL LIVETM, an out-of-market product, any NHL game not available in SN NOW, can be accessed through NHL LIVETM.

After purchasing SN NOW+, proceed to NHL.com or the NHL app, click Sign In and input your existing login credentials. Once you accept the Terms and Conditions, you will be able to access all out-of-market games via the NHL app on your device of choice.

Yes.

As an in-market Flames or Oilers fan, SN NOW will continue to be home to all games, blackout-free.

Thanks for this! I cut the cable a few days ago and sadly don't have sportsnet channel

Reactions: oilers'72

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

How does this work?

Yes.

Does that include playoffs? I would guess not. As soon as CBC (or NBC in my case) cut in, NHL Game Center was always blocked out... will this service be any different?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Does that include playoffs? I would guess not. As soon as CBC (or NBC in my case) cut in, NHL Game Center was always blocked out... will this service be any different?

What content am I getting with a subscription to NHL LIVE™?

With your subscription to NHL LIVE™ for the 2020-21 season, you get access to over 500 national & out-of-market regular season games1, and the entire 2021 Stanley Cup® Playoffs.
For more information on what you can watch in your specific region, please proceed to our What Can I Watch? section.

Per the website.

Reactions: nabob and oilers'72

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What content am I getting with a subscription to NHL LIVE™?

With your subscription to NHL LIVE™ for the 2020-21 season, you get access to over 500 national & out-of-market regular season games1, and the entire 2021 Stanley Cup® Playoffs.
For more information on what you can watch in your specific region, please proceed to our What Can I Watch? section.

Per the website.
Very cool... Looks like a significant policy change from NHL. I'll have to look around for something similar here in Boston.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012

onhockey . tv is pretty good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->