Any chance that McDavid could be the GOAT?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That's a better indicator. That's unbelievable.
And that is not a random stat.

From 80-81 to 86-87 Gretzky won 7 straight scoring titles averaging 198 points per year. The runners up in those years averaged 131 points per year. That means Gretzky scored 51% more points than the 2nd place finishers over that 7 year time frame.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
People understand that the 1980's were the most high scoring but it's insane how much Gretzky dominated the game.
In 86-87 Gretzky had 70% more points than the runner up for the scoring title. That's like McDavid scoring 102 points and the 2nd place guy would have 60 points.

Not just the scoring, but in 1986/87 you also had just three non-Canadian players in the top 25. In 2016/17 there were 17. The pool of players that Gretzky had to beat was a lot smaller, already Lemieux missing a bunch of games had a huge impact on the statistical outcome. I don't think McDavid is anywhere close, but these comparisons based on 1980s stats can be quite misleading.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Not just the scoring, but in 1986/87 you also had just three non-Canadian players in the top 25. In 2016/17 there were 17. The pool of players that Gretzky had to beat was a lot smaller, already Lemieux missing a bunch of games had a huge impact on the statistical outcome. I don't think McDavid is anywhere close, but these comparisons based on 1980s stats can be quite misleading.
You are missing the point entirely. it's not how many points he had in total it's the percentage he won by. Overall percentages are totally comparable and indisputable.

Reactions: JLaw1719

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone who watched games in the Gretzky/Mario era:

tenor.gif

I doubt McDavid is even considered top 5, let alone the best.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You are missing the point entirely. it's not how many points he had in total it's the percentage he won by. Overall percentages are totally comparable and indisputable.

The point is that he won a much weaker league and so such comparisons make little sense.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Great player for sure but he has a long way to go. Needs to get that cup...or be the Dan Marino of the NHL. Like Ovi was considered for many years.

Belos

Dec 21, 2019
Connor McDavid is not as good as Connor McDavid 3 seasons ago, so he’ll need to be the greatest McDavid of all time first.
Exactly. Also, is he even the clear best player right now? Let's leave points for a while. My man is letting in the same amount of goals he scores. Impact-wise, it's bad. This might be an unpopular take but he's to me a generational offensive talent, not player. Ovi offensive talent tilted the ice more to be a generational "player".

Belos

Dec 21, 2019
0%. This is why. There is still time to teach him and fix this, sure, but if were talking the greatest of all time, you dont need to be taught this.

This is pitiful defensive awareness.

People need to remove the kids gloves when addressing his game because this is a real issue.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The point is that he won a much weaker league and so such comparisons make little sense.

Seriously ??? If it was a weaker league wouldn't all of the other great scorers put up numbers similar to Gretzky? Shouldn't somebody have also feasted on bad goalies and scored like Wayne? But guess what? No one did. For 7 years straight years WG won the scoring title by an average of 51% over whoever came 2nd. When Connor McDavid wins ONE scoring title by 50% over the next guy then get excited. But it won't happen....ever.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Ask Gretzky if he thinks he was ever a better player than Mcdavid. Oh wait hes already spoken on that... Relative to their peers and absolute best are different things

Reactions: BlueMed

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
0%. This is why. There is still time to teach him and fix this, sure, but if were talking the greatest of all time, you dont need to be taught this.

This is pitiful defensive awareness.

Not as much about awareness I think as much as McDavid and also Draisatl have completely given up defending the last few years. People kind of get that he’s not great defensively I think, but he’s literally one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
McDavid peak is 5th best ever.

No one will ever beat out the top 4

He could seperate himself from Crosby, hull, and be the 5th best all time of things go for the bear but he has 5-6 Ross/Hart/Lindsay competing years left needs to win atleast 3 more of each trophies for me to have him as clear cut 5th best if he doesnt end up with a cup

Reactions: PaulD

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Gretzky is clearly the GOAT but watching McDavid's goal vs Vancouver looks like a cheat code.

Could McDavid still be the most skilled player to ever play in the NHL at the same time as not being close to the greatest player? Or would that make him the best?
I think he is the most skilled player. But that doesn't make him the greatest. He will not be able to achieve what Gretzky did. Don't think it's possible.

Let's see him win a cup with this Oiler squad before we even consider him in "GOAT" discussions. That in and of itself is an unthinkable feat at this point, lol.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Seriously ??? If it was a weaker league wouldn't all of the other great scorers put up numbers similar to Gretzky? Shouldn't somebody have also feasted on bad goalies and scored like Wayne? But guess what? No one did. For 7 years straight years WG won the scoring title by an average of 51% over whoever came 2nd. When Connor McDavid wins ONE scoring title by 50% over the next guy then get excited. But it won't happen....ever.

Lemieux absolutely did, and already next season overtook Gretzky as the best player in the league. In Europe there were great players that would have been among the top scorers in the NHL like they are today.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Not as much about awareness I think as much as McDavid and also Draisatl have completely given up defending the last few years. People kind of get that he’s not great defensively I think, but he’s literally one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.
Yup and I dont doubt that coaching may even tell them to only worry about offense and gamble its enough, but youre not a complete player in my book like that and Oilers fans can shove all their individual trophies in my face, but I dont see them doing anything in the playoffs anytime soon. This is a bad team and they (mcd/drais) are net negative players.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Lemieux absolutely did, and already next season overtook Gretzky as the best player in the league. In Europe there were great players that would have been among the top scorers in the NHL like they are today.
Either you are being purposely obtuse or you are seriously lacking in cranial matter. But you literally make no sense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If he could keep up the scoring pace and round that game out; he’ll go down as one of the greats. He’ll also have to start winning.

goat is out of the question, but viewed as the best of his era is not.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Well if McDavid wins his 3rd Art Ross this season people will be putting him in the top 10 all time. He's still got several years after that to add to his legacy. I could see McDavid making the top 3 when it's all said and done.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Either you are being purposely obtuse or you are seriously lacking in cranial matter. But you literally make no sense.

He glazes over how many more teams are in the NHL now compared to back then too, way more players now. Also WG won a scoring title or 2 by having more assists than anyone else had points. Some of the best eu players were in the nhl also, peter stastny anyone?

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
To answer the OP question simply no. Unbelievable, great player. But so far he hasn't reached even the levels of peaks Ovi, Malkin etc. Forget about Lemieux and Gretzky.

But at the same time, some people who post here and blame his defense are just laughable... Don't act like Lemieux and Gretzky were amazing defensive players lol. On top of that for the big chunk of their careers they played in All Star teams especially Gretzky. Prime Ovy, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid never had talents around them like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad