Anxiety affecting my game

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
When I focus on having fun, I can usually leave my anxiety at the door.

I sometimes get thrown off when our regular game gets infiltrated by guys who think they are a master strategist. As good a player as they might be, their suggestions never help, and throw me off.

I just try to ignore them and do what I came there to do. Skate fast, score some goals, and go home in one piece.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Good advice bro. Maybe you should stick to not giving advice on something you don't understand.

What an idiot.

I understand bro. See I had anxiety doing dry land training, so I told the coach eh buddy I'm just gonna be over here with my darts when the ice is smoothed by the tractor I'll be on there you can count on me going top cheese get it? He said sure thing don't wanna stress you out, so I did the thing hopped on the ice, had dull blades as well because I walked across cement in my skates with no guards and guess what? Game winner 32 seconds left Henderson style.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I understand bro. See I had anxiety doing dry land training, so I told the coach eh buddy I'm just gonna be over here with my darts when the ice is smoothed by the tractor I'll be on there you can count on me going top cheese get it? He said sure thing don't wanna stress you out, so I did the thing hopped on the ice, had dull blades as well because I walked across cement in my skates with no guards and guess what? Game winner 32 seconds left Henderson style.
It's not a joke.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
You talk about your play in pick-up vs. your play in league games like it’s two different people. It’s important for you to acknowledge that it’s all you. You are the player you want to be, the objective is figuring out how to be that player all of the time. When you get down to it, what is the difference between a pick-up game and a league game? Refs, a scorekeeper, and points in the standings. You still pay for pick-up. You still compete at pick-up. You still want to avoid letting your team down at pick-up. You still have beer afterward and BS with the guys at pick-up. So where does the pressure come from? I understand that nobody wants to make the mistake that costs your team, but if you don’t someone else will. You see that when they do, they are not publically stoned, shamed, humiliated, etc. and the sun still comes up the next day. You are in control of the pressure. You’re still finding out how to get a grip on it and in time you will. That book is a great start.

One of the first things I started doing to take control of my anxiety was getting into my preparation. I felt like if I obsessed about every little detail before arriving at the rink, getting dressed and stepping on the ice, I could just shut my mind off and play. The less I had to think about on the ice, the better. Any equipment tweaks, stick adjustments, even tape jobs are handled ahead of time. Another big thing for me is packing my bag the night before. If I pack everything up even a couple hours before I leave, I always feel like I’m forgetting something. I also started keeping my game day preparation the same, no matter what kind of game I’m playing. The meals are all the same, the rituals are all the same, the stretches are all the same, the warmups are all the same, etc. If you are following the same routines and are processing information the same way, your brain can sort of go on auto-pilot once you get the rink whether it’s pick-up or playoffs. Clearly, we all have our own bugaboos, so this may or may not be helpful to you. I’m just passing it along because managing the details has helped diminish the anxiety on game days.

Lastly, keep in mind that “it’s only beer league.” I don’t normally like to use that phrase; it’s generally said in a way that trivializes and/or marginalizes the level we play at. But at the end of the day, it’s still rec hockey and it’s not life or death. As others have said, hockey is the greatest game and it is meant to be enjoyed. Sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of that. Hopefully you'll find the tools you need to make it enjoyable again.

This isn’t a bad reply, but frankly it’s a lot easier to think this way if you’re a straight White Male. I’ve seen it. I’m not One and it really gets frustrating often for hearing about my mistakes and/or being socially shut out due to them while other guys who are equal or slightly less talented make the same amount and yet, they still get accepted in the room. Just like too many other things in society, Minorities have to be really good instead of just average while White Players can just be average and they’re not nearly as likely to get the cold shoulder

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
This isn’t a bad reply, but frankly it’s a lot easier to think this way if you’re a straight White Male. I’ve seen it. I’m not One and it really gets frustrating often for hearing about my mistakes and/or being socially shut out due to them while other guys who are equal or slightly less talented make the same amount and yet, they still get accepted in the room. Just like too many other things in society, Minorities have to be really good instead of just average while White Players can just be average and they’re not nearly as likely to get the cold shoulder

While I am speaking from the point of view of a straight, white male and I may not share your specific struggles, I have played the game long enough to have encountered inequitable treatment from coaches and teammates and been in situations where I have struggled to fit in on a team. That is not meant to trivialize any unique challenges you may face, as I do not pretend to know your situation, but more to let you know that you're not alone in that regard. The key difference is that my skin color, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation were not a factor in these situations, so I don't have much prospective there. If it's something you're comfortable with, maybe you can give us some perspective?

I know that personally, the only time I have a problem with someone on the ice is if they don't listen to their teammates or if the effort isn't there. Off the ice, for better or for worse, everyone is not always going to get along. Speaking for myself, as long as I can co-exist with someone on the ice, it's not going to keep me up at night if they don't like me off the ice. I don't think that has anything to do with white privilege or anything like that, it's just about me being comfortable with who I am and what I bring to the table as a player.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
A little update...
I played pickup yesterday (I know, not beer league), and made a conscious effort to relax and take an extra second or two before making plays. Even if someone was able to strip me of the puck, I just said "do better next time around" and kept in the game. It was probably one of the best games--pickup or beer league--I've played in months. I was making solid passes, reading the offensive and defensive zone well, and had a couple nice goals. This was including a breakaway, where I usually think of all kinds of moves in my head, but instead just relaxed and read the goalie and scored.

I think it also helped that I changed things up a bit in terms of gear and getting ready. I mixed up my routine and felt great from the minute I got on the ice. So I'll try the same routine next men's league game, and we'll see how things go.

Thanks for the support and replies.
I’m curious how you are doing with this situation lately?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
That sounds rough bro. Maybe hockey isn't your thing

That is stupid. I suffered too from fear for want of a better word. Once I got the puck, I expected the good players to take it away in seconds, so I rushed and made a hash of the play. Others kept telling me to slow down, that I had ages to think and plan the next moves. They were right. It is better to think before acting, and maybe get the puck stolen, than to not think and screw up.

I don't have a clue what the above means.

Reactions: Mugzy97

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
There is a green herb that can do wonders for anxiety issues and its effects go particularly well with activities like skating and skiing.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
follow-up: Last several drop-in games I used the warm-up time to work on some skills, mainly edge work and backward crossovers, transitions, lateral movement along the blue line, and puck handling that didn't include shooting. I also sold all my old sticks and got a pair of lower flex pro stocks with a pattern that really fits me, which is something small but has really helped my game. Also, I left a D-level team I had been playing on and joined two high C/low B level teams, where the play is much faster.

All the above said, I feel like I'm playing some of the best hockey in the past 20 years. My confidence on the ice has soared, and I don't get all freaked out if I make little mistakes here and there, because overall my game is good. Working on some skills in drop-in, especially lateral moves and escape moves with the puck as a defenseman, I've been able to buy some time and space and make better plays instead of rushing it. All in all hockey has become a LOT more fun for me the past several weeks.

Last edited:

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
I know this is an old post, but when it comes to hockey you can reduce anxiety by keeping your feet moving early in a hockey game. Skating is the great neutralizer in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad