Antti Raanta

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Raanta is pretty good he should put up some good wins and not give fans scares. Has been good to watch at least on my end since he came up first w/ Chi

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He wasn't challenged too much last night, but he did look sharp, and at his price, he's a steal. I'm also in a way glad for Talbot since he will have a chance to be a starter, so I'm pleased all around.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Coming into this year in 39 games he is 20-9-5 I hope he continues like that, still a young guy at 26 may he can go the Talbot route and bring us some picks back when his contract is up*

* if he wants a big long term contract

I'd imagine we'll be trading him after this season. It seems unlikely that he'll be able to hold off Skapski/Hellberg for another season.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I'd imagine we'll be trading him after this season. It seems unlikely that he'll be able to hold off Skapski/Hellberg for another season.
Based on what? Skapski a 21 year-old kid and has 30 pro games under his belt: 28 AHL and 2 NHL (against an AHL-calibre team). While he's surprised many with his solid play, let's go easy on the kid. Meanwhile, Hellberg is not much younger than Raanta, and has played all of 12 minutes of NHL hockey in 3 seasons in North America. Even if the Rangers do see something in him, he's got a lot of improving to do before he can take up a regular backup role.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Based on what? Skapski a 21 year-old kid and has 30 pro games under his belt: 28 AHL and 2 NHL (against an AHL-calibre team). While he's surprised many with his solid play, let's go easy on the kid. Meanwhile, Hellberg is not much younger than Raanta, and has played all of 12 minutes of NHL hockey in 3 seasons in North America. Even if the Rangers do see something in him, he's got a lot of improving to do before he can take up a regular backup role.

How much NHL experience did Cam Talbot have in his 3 seasons in the AHL before he took the backup role?

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
How much NHL experience did Cam Talbot have in his 3 seasons in the AHL before he took the backup role?
Talbot had about 90 games of stellar AHL-level hockey over just over two seasons. He wasn't bouncing back and forth between the AHL and ECHL like Hellberg. I guess I should have picked better evidence to support my point, but I stand by it.

I'm not saying that Hellberg might not show this season and give the Rangers reason to trade Raanta - the Rangers braintrust certainly see something in him - but to say that an established NHL backup like Raanta is unlikely to hold him off is jumping the gun.

vstk

Jun 17, 2011
Valhalla, NY
Raanta has played 157 games in the pro-level including 39 in the NHL. In those 39 NHL games, he lost 9 times, posted 3 shutouts and 20 wins and had a SV% of .912.

Not by any means stellar numbers, but not bad either. I would let this guy a have his chance and not to throw him under the bus after few periods of play.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Raanta is a UFA after this season. Hellberg is on a two-way contract for this year and then a one-way contract for next year. Hellberg will be the backup next season when Raanta leaves via UFA. Has a whole season to work with Benny before hopefully being ready for the NHL full-time in 2016-17.

vstk

Jun 17, 2011
Valhalla, NY
Raanta is a UFA after this season. Hellberg is on a two-way contract for this year and then a one-way contract for next year. Hellberg will be the backup next season when Raanta leaves via UFA. Has a whole season to work with Benny before hopefully being ready for the NHL full-time in 2016-17.

Very likely. Unless Raanta plays in a level he's capable of.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta

Aaaaaah! I didn't know Raanta's contract status. I see the move for Hellberg in a new light -- it makes so much sense beyond this season. I'm still a bit skeptical of his future as an NHL backup, but good move by management.

Very likely. Unless Raanta plays in a level he's capable of.

If he plays as well as he is capable of, he's likely going to get a chance to challenge for a #1 spot somewhere, but that definitely won't happen here. The only reason I see him in a Rangers uniform next season is if Hellberg can't step up, which as I said, is a possibility (I'm not even thinking about Skapper for a season or two yet).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad