Antti Raanta vs Darcy Kuemper

Raanta vs Kuemper

• Raanta

• Kuemper

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Raanta is the more talented goalie but injuries are an issue so he might not be suited to a number 1. I don't think it really matters though, as a tandem probably utilizes both of them the best.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raanta is a much better hockey player. Elite goaltender. .921 career SV%.

Cogliano isn’t better than Crosby because he’s missed less games.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Raanta is a much better hockey player. Elite goaltender. .921 career SV%.

Cogliano isn’t better than Crosby because he’s missed less games.

Kuemper has a .918 career SV% and a .925 over the last 3 seasons. I don't believe he's actually better, but any difference is far more marginal than your comparison. Goalies are also different than skaters, as reliability tends to be more important.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
This is an impossible poll to answer yet, both have been great and play a bit of a different kind of game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kuemper has a .918 career SV% and a .925 over the last 3 seasons. I don't believe he's actually better, but any difference is far more marginal than your comparison. Goalies are also different than skaters, as reliability tends to be more important.

I guess Kuemper is better than I thought, but it doesn’t change my point that Raanta is an elite NHL goalie.

Goalie reliability is only important in the playoffs. Teams in today’s NHL have two guys that can play 40 games.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I guess Kuemper is better than I thought, but it doesn’t change my point that Raanta is an elite NHL goalie.

Goalie reliability is only important in the playoffs. Teams in today’s NHL have two guys that can play 40 games.

The OP was asking about who would win the number 1 though so I think people are thinking of that. I think if you have a reliable 1B to split starts or take over if Raanta is injured then I would take him, but if you don't, then maybe Kuemper is the better option just due to health. Though he isn't exactly proven to be a workhorse himself.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Raanta > Kuemper over a multi year sample size. However, Kuemper have been playing at a Vezina level this season and can stay healthy. I prefer Raanta, but it would probably be smarter to roll with Kuemper simply because of the injury factor.

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
kuemper is better. doesn't matter what raanta did a few years ago to boost his all-time save percentage to be higher than kuemper's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad