Player Discussion Antti Niemi (Signed in the KHL)

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Niemi is a stop gap for Lindgren to.be the backup hopefully next year.

We have no idea if Lindgren has what it takes though.
He has been struggling in Laval this year ...

I just checked and most 2nd goalies are pretty bad around the NHL. Most of them are below 0.900%.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017

I just checked and most 2nd goalies are pretty bad around the NHL.

Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot more goals are going in due to the new chest protectors.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City

I just checked and most 2nd goalies are pretty bad around the NHL. Most of them are below 0.900%.
Lindgren is better that his stats shows. The bad thing is we will need to keep Niemi at least until Lindgren returns from his injury.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I never knew a goalie could be so bad. He’s horrific. Worse than awful. I don’t understand how he’s in the NHL. He lets in minimum 4 goals a game. The team has to play a perfect game with him in nets and even then there’s still a good chance we lose. I want to put him on waivers or have him traded for 2025 conditional 7th rounder. I wouldn’t want to burden any other teams with Niemi though. I’d feel pretty bad allowing another team to take him on.

Honestly, with a straight face. how is this that much better:
Pricer.jpg

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
It's 12 fewer goals per 10 games better?

OP waited for a loss on a B2B game againts TB to make this thread.

A b2b againts a top team,
We re blaming the goalie for this loss yet no one is talking about the horrible D.

Quite Ironic.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

A b2b againts a top team, yet no one is talking about the horrible D. Quite Ironic.

He was .877 4.01 at 9 games.

He's now .870 4.22 at 10 games.

He was still over 4 goal per game before that game.

EDIT: That now make it 14 goals per 10 games, my bad.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

A b2b againts a top team,
We re blaming the goalie for this loss yet no one is talking about the horrible D.

Quite Ironic.

I think you probably missed the last 2 years where outside of a few games in Montreal he was not able to stop a beach ball in Dallas, Pittsburgh and Florida.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
He was .877 4.01 at 9 games.

He's now .870 4.22 at 10 games.

He was still over 4 goal per game before that game.

Im not defending Niemi. No one had any expectations for this guy.

But top 33 for the starter who's paid 10.5 sounds like a much bigger concern. Niemi is expandable i dont see a point on bashing him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

But top 33 for the starter who's paid 10.5 sounds like a much bigger concern. Niemi is expandable i dont see a point on bashing him.

Well it's the Niemi thread, so it's the place to discuss him. If you don't want to see other people's opinion on Niemi, don't open the thread.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Well it's the Niemi thread, so it's the place to discuss him. If you don't want to see other people's opinion on Niemi, don't open the thread.

Mmm it wasn't until it got merged. And i'm pretty sure I posted while it was still a thread on its on. So yeah.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
That's not true at all. I've been bashed many times last year for saying he was playing well over his head.

Yep, me too. Laughed at and mocked in the Niemi Resigning thread.

The guy is just not good in any of the technical aspects of goaltending, and stylistically he is a mess.

To a much lesser extent, he is the Clarkson/Belesky/etc of goaltending. One good/fluky season earns him a contract and then his play reverts to the norm because his fundamental skills are lacking. This is why actually paying attention to how a player plays is so important, rather than simply looking at stats.

I think @le_sean was dead-on in the GDT. It would have been better to hold on to Mason for his last year rather than buy him out. I understand that's a revisionist outlook on the situation, but still. Mason is a very capable backup goaltender and one that I'd have more confidence in than Niemi, especially with Winnipeg retaining on his contract and the amount if cap space we have.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, with a straight face. how is this that much better:View attachment 170307

We get it, you hate Price.

Regardless if you think ~0.4% is significant or not, Niemi has been trash.

This is a Niemi thread so opinions of him go here. We can discuss Price but honestly, bashing Price is also tiresome and even MORE pointless because unlike Niemi who we know is gone after this year, Price we’re locked in for the long haul as he has a NMC.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor

Price is a completely separate issue. Niemi is losing the team games and it has nothing to do with how well price is playing.

Reactions: Vachon23 and 26Mats

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Maybe Niemi gets the start against Dallas and proves them he's still got it (shutout) ;) !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad