News Article: Antti Niemi now FA, would you take a flyer on him for bkup goalie?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
What’s the argument against Delia to be the backup? He’s already extended, even if a short term deal. So is the argument then so he can play more and develop in Rockford?
Personally, I don't think Delia 100% won the keys to the crease this season. That's not necessarily a knock on him, but even though he should have the inside track to being the backup next year some competition in the preseason would be good--especially since his contract is buryable.

I figure Crawford at best is #1 and at worst is 1A for what I expect is his final season. From there the #2 or 1B slot is the inside track to the starter job in 2021 if the season is not locked out. Give Lankinen and at least 1 other goaltender a fair shot along with Delia and let their performance in the crease settle it all.

That being said Niemi's a hard no. I'd rather go younger if anything.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Nah. Thanks for the ring, you were sick in the 09-10 cup run.

Maybe if Crawford goes down in the first first months of the season and he's still unsigned.

We gotta give Delia the time before we start revisiting the past.

feichter33

Mar 25, 2013
No...more...trips down memory lane.

Imo...the change to Colliton broke some links to the past(for better or worse)so we/Stan can stop retreading players.

Niemi is awful now by NHL standards. Not a chance. Imo its Lehner or Mrazek from the ufa pool...or Delia/Ward...I believe u keep Wardo as #2 then Deals in Rockford as the starter for pro reps.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Grab another veteran back up on a one year deal and let Delia get games in Rockford. Delia has been a pro for two years and has been all over the place both years.

With Crawfords health concerns you don't want to end up with Delia/Forsberg/Lankinen after adding a #3 draft pick and however else Chicago spends $15M.

Elliott
Kincaid
Mrazek
Nilsson
Talbot

Not in that order...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad