Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Slepyshev was drafted 1st overall in the KHL draft and was the captain of the WJC team. He was the Russian version of a junior star

and that is why they are holding a spot open for him.

Flame away--but the last thing I was told was that if he is not traded by the draft he will bolt to Europe and if he goes he wont be back(chime in with don't let the door hit on the way out) but why is he wants to wait to see what happens is that family moved to NA with him and he wants to explore all options before heading back

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Flame away--but the last thing I was told was that if he is not traded by the draft he will bolt to Europe and if he goes he wont be back(chime in with don't let the door hit on the way out) but why is he wants to wait to see what happens is that family moved to NA with him and he wants to explore all options before heading back
I could see a team taking a flyer on him for future considerations

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wonder if Dallas and Edm could swap him and Nichuskin for a change of scenery.
Nichushkin did have a change of scenery. He went back home for two years. Dallas is bringing him back next season and probably using him as leverage to sign Kovalchuk.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
So I'm wondering if that was all BS about him going back to Russia - didn't that report also have Rinat Valiev going back as well? He just re-signed in Montreal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Can't say I blame him. Hes being turned in to a dime a dozen depth player. Whether that is what is actual skill level is, or whether its the coaching staff limiting him and turning him into that is another question. But irregardless, he doesnt think its a good fit here. I also cant blame him for wanting to head back to Russia (aka where hes from) and play a prominent role on one of the best teams and make more $ doing so. I think NA people just assume its hockey players only wish to lay in the NHL, even if its as a 4th liner.

On another note, I think Edmonton might be the most prominent team for players to leave here and have such a bad taste in their mouth (not saying this is Slepyshev, although it might be). Ive rarely heard of a former player leave and want to return, or say positive things about the team. Most times they just leave and never look back or think about the team again, but occasionally, retired ex Oilers will just rip the team relentlessly. Ive only seen Ryan Smyth really want to return.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A lot of the ex Oilers who rip on the team played here in the DoD when playing for the Oilers was a career killer. I don’t think that’s the way it is now.

Slepyshev IMO hasn’t done anything to warrant more usage and he should be traded to recoup something from the asset. If no teams want him that’s pretty telling.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Can't say I blame him. Hes being turned in to a dime a dozen depth player. Whether that is what is actual skill level is, or whether its the coaching staff limiting him and turning him into that is another question. But irregardless, he doesnt think its a good fit here. I also cant blame him for wanting to head back to Russia (aka where hes from) and play a prominent role on one of the best teams and make more $ doing so. I think NA people just assume its hockey players only wish to lay in the NHL, even if its as a 4th liner.

On another note, I think Edmonton might be the most prominent team for players to leave here and have such a bad taste in their mouth (not saying this is Slepyshev, although it might be). Ive rarely heard of a former player leave and want to return, or say positive things about the team. Most times they just leave and never look back or think about the team again, but occasionally, retired ex Oilers will just rip the team relentlessly. Ive only seen Ryan Smyth really want to return.

Agreed, the organization clearly fails to impress departing players most of the time. The only one I can think of recently who spoke really well of the organization was Maroon, and he still might not come back. Meanwhile, we have players including: Souray, Smid, Schultz, Yakupov, Belov, Slepyshev, Whitney, Hemsky (I think) who have openly spoken about how poorly the organization rates compared to other orgs. I was looking up quotes from Souray about the Oilers forcing him to play hurt for a thread on the mainboards, and Souray pointedly said how much worse it was than New Jersey and Montreal (I wonder if that's true today, lol).

TBH though organizational professional is one area I do think Chiarelli has really improved. Since he's come in there seems to be a lot less griping about ridiculous management/lack of support for players. Though maybe that's partially the McDavid effect too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agreed, the organization clearly fails to impress departing players most of the time. The only one I can think of recently who spoke really well of the organization was Maroon, and he still might not come back. Meanwhile, we have players including: Souray, Smid, Schultz, Yakupov, Belov, Slepyshev, Whitney, Hemsky (I think) who have openly spoken about how poorly the organization rates compared to other orgs. I was looking up quotes from Souray about the Oilers forcing him to play hurt for a thread on the mainboards, and Souray pointedly said how much worse it was than New Jersey and Montreal (I wonder if that's true today, lol).

TBH though organizational professional is one area I do think Chiarelli has really improved. Since he's come in there seems to be a lot less griping about ridiculous management/lack of support for players. Though maybe that's partially the McDavid effect too.

Id agree here. I think 2008-2014ish was the worst organizational professionalism exhibited by a pro sports team in a while. Just hearing stories from POS or Whitney is eye opening how bad it was. And those are only 2 outspoken players, I wonder how many other players have horror stories. I think this was a way bigger reason we could get FAs than just being a bad team on the ice

I do hope that with Avitu/Slepyshev leaving the team that its not a sign of more of the same. Its just two meh depth players I get, but thats sometimes the sign of worse things to come

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A lot of the ex Oilers who rip on the team played here in the DoD when playing for the Oilers was a career killer. I don’t think that’s the way it is now.

Slepyshev IMO hasn’t done anything to warrant more usage and he should be traded to recoup something from the asset. If no teams want him that’s pretty telling.

I dont think Slepyshev played well enough to force himself into the top 6 on a regular team. But he did show glimpses of top 6 ability in short sample sizes a couple of times. And he should have absolutely gotten an extended look over Lucic this year. Lucic should have been put in the bottom 6 just due to his own poor play. The logical winger to replace him would have been Slepyshev. Its not a guarantee he would have worked out, but it would have been a great test. If he failed, I would say adios (on good terms) as we would know hes only a pure depth player. If he leaves now, there will still be that lingering question of whether there is asmall chance he becomes a top 6 player.

Hes got the shot, skill, skating and size. His limitation is that he has horse blinders on when hes on the ice. Thats a tough one to learn

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dont think Slepyshev played well enough to force himself into the top 6 on a regular team. But he did show glimpses of top 6 ability in short sample sizes a couple of times. And he should have absolutely gotten an extended look over Lucic this year. Lucic should have been put in the bottom 6 just due to his own poor play. The logical winger to replace him would have been Slepyshev. Its not a guarantee he would have worked out, but it would have been a great test. If he failed, I would say adios (on good terms) as we would know hes only a pure depth player. If he leaves now, there will still be that lingering question of whether there is asmall chance he becomes a top 6 player.

Hes got the shot, skill, skating and size. His limitation is that he has horse blinders on when hes on the ice. Thats a tough one to learn
Then why hasn't any other NHL team approached him? A guy with all those skills should be a shoe in on another team.

Especially when you see one team in the cup finals full of outcasts, and another that uses all sorts of depth players at time with their skilled players.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Then why hasn't any other NHL team approached him? A guy with all those skills should be a shoe in on another team.

Especially when you see one team in the cup finals full of outcasts, and another that uses all sorts of depth players at time with their skilled players.

How do you know they havent? Hes under contract right now and a RFA July 1st, so how do you know a team hasnt approached the Oilers about trading for him? I dont know whether they have or havent

Although, if I was another team right now, I wouldnt be as eager to trade for him as I know that if he does only turn out to be a depth player, hell go to the KHL. So the better option might be to devleop your own depth player in your system right now and give them the minutes because youll know atleast they will stick with the team for the forseeable future in the depth role. Thats the opportunity cost of giving someone like Slepyshev those minutes next year

For the Oiler last year, we had no better options on the wing and were out of the playoffs realistically by January. So we should have atleast gave him a tryout in the top 6 to see what we had. Wouldnt have hurt the team as Lucic wasnt any better. Given what Slepyshev showed in the past and his limitations vision wise, likely a slim chance hes a top 6 player, but better to do that than not.

One example Id use is Osterle. He showed well in a short 17 game sample size. We didnt give him much of a larger audition (couldnt though given the players ahead of him). But that led us to let him go, and now hes having relative success in Chicago. If we had the luxury of giving him a large audition, we likely would have kept him. With Slepyshev, we did have the chance, just didnt use it

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The players probably love Chia seeing how he gives out NMC’s like candy and inflates contracts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How do you know they havent? Hes under contract right now and a RFA July 1st, so how do you know a team hasnt approached the Oilers about trading for him? I dont know whether they have or havent

Although, if I was another team right now, I wouldnt be as eager to trade for him as I know that if he does only turn out to be a depth player, hell go to the KHL. So the better option might be to devleop your own depth player in your system right now and give them the minutes because youll know atleast they will stick with the team for the forseeable future in the depth role. Thats the opportunity cost of giving someone like Slepyshev those minutes next year

For the Oiler last year, we had no better options on the wing and were out of the playoffs realistically by January. So we should have atleast gave him a tryout in the top 6 to see what we had. Wouldnt have hurt the team as Lucic wasnt any better. Given what Slepyshev showed in the past and his limitations vision wise, likely a slim chance hes a top 6 player, but better to do that than not.

One example Id use is Osterle. He showed well in a short 17 game sample size. We didnt give him much of a larger audition (couldnt though given the players ahead of him). But that led us to let him go, and now hes having relative success in Chicago. If we had the luxury of giving him a large audition, we likely would have kept him. With Slepyshev, we did have the chance, just didnt use it
He's been on the trade block all year. I suspect if teams wanted him he'd be gone.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Id agree here. I think 2008-2014ish was the worst organizational professionalism exhibited by a pro sports team in a while. Just hearing stories from POS or Whitney is eye opening how bad it was. And those are only 2 outspoken players, I wonder how many other players have horror stories. I think this was a way bigger reason we could get FAs than just being a bad team on the ice

I do hope that with Avitu/Slepyshev leaving the team that its not a sign of more of the same. Its just two meh depth players I get, but thats sometimes the sign of worse things to come

I'm sure Hall and Ebs have some stories too, they're just too professional to say anything about it/probably didn't get treated as badly as the lesser players on the team. Eberle did throw that dig at Eakins after he was fired about it being nice to actually pick his shots, haha.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Yeah I don’t totally disagree with this but at some point a player has to show he has the chops even on lines 3 and 4. If you need other players to carry you your not a 1/2 line player, it’s that simple.

As you say he has the horse blinders on and a lack of consistency that keeps him relegated to bottom line/13th F usage.

He will move on and become an afterthought 5 years from now, at least that’s my take on him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm sure Hall and Ebs have some stories too, they're just too professional to say anything about it/probably didn't get treated as badly as the lesser players on the team. Eberle did throw that dig at Eakins after he was fired about it being nice to actually pick his shots, haha.

Eakins was a nuclear disaster to every player on this team. His way was an arrogant know it all approach to a reinvented game within his own mindset. He damaged every player in this organization and his hire should have demolished MacTavish and Lowe’s careers as well. They signed him up. They both should be in some Siberian shithole trying to make a tier 3 Russian team better, not with the Oilers. Such is Katz....

Reactions: Aerrol and guymez

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Looks like he was progressing well over the years then took a step back last year. As with many others on the team. Shouldn't have given up on him yet.

The guy played a complete KHL season at age 18. He was one of the stars for the Russian club in WJ18 and WJ20 playing very well in both tournaments. His goal scoring potential should be obvious to anybody. Just that its awfully difficult for anybody to put up numbers in the NHL with very limited topsix assignment and non existent PP assignment. This is a large body player that liked to bang, that had good hands, good finish and was not at all put into a position to succeed here.

Anyway heres some career numbers; (need to consider that he was almost always playing higher league than typical for his age. )

Anton Slepyshev - Elite Prospects

These are near elite level performances in the WJ18 and 20. Yes, he was a highly touted Junior player as I had stated.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why would Hall and Eberle have issues with how management treated them? Those two were coddled from the minute they got to Edmonton along with a couple others. I’d go as far to say that was a big part of the problem here for a while.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Why would Hall and Eberle have issues with how management treated them? Those two were coddled from the minute they got to Edmonton along with a couple others.
I guess by 'coddled' you meant 'carried the entire f***ing team on their backs'.
At least that's how I read it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why would Hall and Eberle have issues with how management treated them? Those two were coddled from the minute they got to Edmonton along with a couple others. I’d go as far to say that was a big part of the problem here for a while.

I would have major issues if I was tossing up elite seasons (or really good seasons) with little to no support and taking the blame for losing the games. I mean if my number 1 and 2 D were Correy Potter and Justin Schultz, my depth support was Ben Eager and my starting goalie was Ben Scrivens, id be pretty annoyed to if someone had the audacity to say "Look I know you just scored 27 goals and brought any resemblance of respect to this club, but these losses are on you buddy"

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah I don’t totally disagree with this but at some point a player has to show he has the chops even on lines 3 and 4. If you need other players to carry you your not a 1/2 line player, it’s that simple.

As you say he has the horse blinders on and a lack of consistency that keeps him relegated to bottom line/13th F usage.

He will move on and become an afterthought 5 years from now, at least that’s my take on him.

I think hes shown to be a pretty good bottom 6 player. I would love Slepyshev in his current form to be a 3rd or 4th liner. His horseblinders may limit him in the top 6, but right now hes a solid bottom 6er. The issue is, a former high profile Russian can make more money and be a star in the KHL, vs playing bottom 6 in the NHL. I completely understand if he does want to go back

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think hes shown to be a pretty good bottom 6 player. I would love Slepyshev in his current form to be a 3rd or 4th liner. His horseblinders may limit him in the top 6, but right now hes a solid bottom 6er. The issue is, a former high profile Russian can make more money and be a star in the KHL, vs playing bottom 6 in the NHL. I completely understand if he does want to go back

I agree, Slep is currently a 3rd/4th line tweener with flashes of being more than that in my eyes. The apparently lack of interest, IMO, comes from teams expecting he'll go back to the KHL instead of staying in the NHL to be a grinder.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree, Slep is currently a 3rd/4th line tweener with flashes of being more than that in my eyes. The apparently lack of interest, IMO, comes from teams expecting he'll go back to the KHL instead of staying in the NHL to be a grinder.
I think he falls into that Yakupov feel. Only really fits in the top 6 but doesn't bring it often enough to work. And his style of game really doesn't work in a bottom 6 role. So the KHL is usually the best option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad