Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
From Matheson's article, not sure if anyone mentioned it here.

If the forward who was a junior star in Russia returns to his roots, it won’t be a surprise. While Slepyshev learned English and liked the NHL life, his wife reportedly hadn’t warmed to living in Canada.

Not saying it was the main reason or anything, but an unhappy wife can be an a very negative drag on your peace of mind.

Not every hockey decision made is because of what happens on the ice.

Reactions: dawunderboy

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Not saying it was the main reason or anything, but an unhappy wife can be an a very negative drag on your peace of mind.

It's also a very easy out for the organization to get a pass.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You honestly believe cagguila and rattie weren’t gifted spots?

Maybe it is a bias on my end. I mean, I don’t have a preference on player nationality, as long as they play for the oilers it’s all the same to me.

I’m probably just being overly pessimistic about this, but it was just something I noticed.
Rattie got like 10 games after being buried in the AHL

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Yeah, it's possible that's the case.

It's also possible what nabob said is true, and that Matheson was slipped a quote from the organization to validate him leaving for Russia.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You see what you want to see with Slepyshev and like some others you view it as Slepyshev vs. Caggiula.

Is it your view that the coaching staff had an agenda against Slepyshev?

I don't know if it's as black and white as language like agenda.

I think McLellan is an old-school coach, and he makes judgments very quickly on players and sticks to those judgments. It's a big flaw with his coaching method. Our lack of adaptability because of this coaching method led to issues with the team, either through the PK,PP or other lineup decisions.

Last edited:

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
There was a brief period in the playoffs last year where I was actually confident that the Oilers were going to deploy Slepyshev in an acceptable and reasonable role going forward and not waste his talent while driving him back to Russia. My confidence was misplaced.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

I think Mcllean is an old-school coach, and he makes judgemenst very quickly on players and sticks to those judgments. It's a big flaw with his coaching method. Our lack of adaptability because of this coaching method led to issues with the team, either through the PK,PP or other lineup decisions.

Okay but one of the common things said by Slepyshev's biggest supporters is that they liked how he was used in the playoffs, at least at times, last season. If McLellan judged Slepyshev early on as a 4th liner and sticks to his judgments why would he give him an opportunity in the top 6 at the most important time of the season?

Again, I get that some people really like Slepyshev and of course there is nothing wrong with that. Everybody likes some players that they think should be given a bigger role and there are certainly warranted criticisms of McLellan's coaching. With they way the roster was constructed I don't think any of Puljujarvi/Caggiula/Slepyshev were in a good position to succeed regardless of how McLellan used them. There shouldn't be a possible conspiracy theory though surrounding Slepyshev's use.

Reactions: guymez

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I think Mcllean is an old-school coach, and he makes judgemenst very quickly on players and sticks to those judgments. It's a big flaw with his coaching method. Our lack of adaptability because of this coaching method led to issues with the team, either through the PK,PP or other lineup decisions.

I think this is pretty reasonable. I also think that this behaviour was likely exacerbated by how awful this season went. When things go really badly, the tendency is to really dig down and grasp at the things you're most familiar with. McLellan probably viewed giving Slepy more of a chance as a risk he didn't want to take as the season spiraled out of control. Not sure why he didn't get more of a push with Drai by the last two months, but based on how our special teams looked, no one on the team had any idea by that point either.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Okay but one of the common things said by Slepyshev's biggest supporters is that they liked how he was used in the playoffs, at least at times, last season. If McLellan judged Slepyshev early on as a 4th liner and sticks to his judgments why would he give him an opportunity in the top 6 at the most important time of the season?

Again, I get that some people really like Slepyshev and of course there is nothing wrong with that. Everybody likes some players that they think should be given a bigger role and there are certainly warranted criticisms of McLellan's coaching. With they way the roster was constructed I don't think any of Puljujarvi/Caggiula/Slepyshev were in a good position to succeed regardless of how McLellan used them. There shouldn't be a possible conspiracy theory though surrounding Slepyshev's use.

I don't think anyone is saying there's a conspiracy behind it. Just poor coaching.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I don't think anyone is saying there's a conspiracy behind it. Just poor coaching.

I only got involved in the discussion after a theory that Europeans were treated differently on the team. That's the possible conspiracy theory I was referring to.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yeah, it's possible that's the case.

It's also possible what nabob said is true, and that Matheson was slipped a quote from the organization to validate him leaving for Russia.

True enough, ultimately people are going to believe what they want to believe.

Whatever the truth is, I still believe based on my own observations that both sides share some blame for how things turned out. The coaching staff could've put him in positions more akin to his skillset (such as more top 6 time and the fact that in his 102 games with the Oilers he was given 13 minutes of PP time TOTAL is a bloody insult), but there were too many games by Slepy where he would look good for a game here or there, but then just fade away and have one empty effort after another where he was just kinda there. And I think it is a fair criticism to suggest that he wasn't that great at working with his linemates. He wasn't the easiest guy to read off of for a linemate.

Here's hoping that Maksimov and/or Safin have a better fate awaiting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
True enough, ultimately people are going to believe what they want to believe.

Whatever the truth is, I still believe based on my own observations that both sides share some blame for how things turned out. The coaching staff could've put him in positions more akin to his skillset (such as more top 6 time and the fact that in his 102 games with the Oilers he was given 13 minutes of PP time TOTAL is a bloody insult), but there were too many games by Slepy where he would look good for a game here or there, but then just fade away and have one empty effort after another where he was just kind there. And I think it is a fair criticism to suggest that he wasn't that great at working with his linemates. He wasn't the easiest guy to read off of for a linemate.

Here's hoping that Maksimov and/or Safin have a better fate awaiting them.

That's the stuff that is really glaring to me.

It wasn't that long ago that Mark f***ing Letestu basically singlehandedly fixed the powerplay. If that isn't a wake up call to the coaches to maybe try an unlikely hero instead of stubbornly doing the same thing that's failing, I don't know what is.

Reactions: nabob and Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You see what you want to see with Slepyshev and like some others you view it as Slepyshev vs. Caggiula.

Is it your view that the coaching staff had an agenda against Slepyshev?
Not specifically, no. McLellan plays favorites and this was well established in SJ and it is here. There were obvious solutions within the lineup that he didn't use and obvious benchings that he didn't do.

ANYBODY would have resurrected Slepy and Drai. That was a no brainer. Something so obvious that it couldn't escape detection. Yet Slepy got 56mins this whole season with Drai. An average of 1min/ game played. Basically the odd shift here and there. One.

Again since you're denying everything Slepy had 6mins PP time all of this season. Somebody mentioned he only got 13 mins on the PP his whole time here. Yet the guy has shown some filthy nets and is capable of making some nice plays and not looking out of place with talented linemates. You would think a team would at least rotate a guy like that up and down on certain nights. It was rare.

Like somebody else mentioned the team even got Aberg and Rattie and gave them topsix minutes while Slepy could twist and turn in the wind playing with guys like Kassian. The biggest joke is Aberg gets that white glove treatment immediately and rewards the team by missing practice twice and getting scratched due to apparent difficulties. Yet the org gave that player more of an extended topsix audition opportunity than Slepy got all year. Is that kind of stuff even good for team morale?

Slepy is gone now and I can't blame him. Watch him score 15-20 goals in the KHL. The team made it obvious they would have almost anybody in topsix instead of him.

Last edited:

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not specifically, no. McLellan plays favorites and this was well established in SJ and it is here. There were obvious solutions within the lineup that he didn't use and obvious benchings that he didn't do.

ANYBODY would have resurrected Slepy and Drai. That was a no brainer. Something so obvious that it couldn't escape detection. Yet Slepy got 56mins this whole season with Drai. An average of 1min/ game played. Basically the odd shift here and there. One.

Again since you're denying everything Slepy had 6mins PP time all of this season. Somebody mentioned he only got 13 mins on the PP his whole time here. Yet the guy has shown some filthy nets and is capable of making some nice plays and not looking out of place with talented linemates. You would think a team would at least rotate a guy like that up and down on certain nights. It was rare.

Like somebody else mentioned the team even got Aberg and Rattie and gave them topsix minutes while Slepy could twist and turn in the wind playing with guys like Kassian. The biggest joke is Aberg gets that white glove treatment immediately and rewards the team by missing practice twice and getting scratched due to apparent difficulties. Yet the org gave that player more of an extended topsix audition opportunity than Slepy got all year. Is that kind of stuff even good for team morale?

Slepy is gone now and I can't blame him. Watch him score 15-20 goals in the KHL. The team made it obvious they would have almost anybody in topsix instead of him.

Yeah, Aberg especially ticked me off. The guy is having a career year, 8 points, at 24 years old, and is instantly inserted on McDavids or drais line as well as the PP even after missing practices.

Meanwhile slepy is younger, just as fast, and has a wicked shot, is bigger and plays more physical, but couldn’t have more than a shift a night with an actual NHL quality linemate.

You’d think on a team of players constantly deferring to one and other, without a RH shooter on the PP, might find s way to utilize his skill set.

Oh well. Oilers gonna Oil

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The difference between NHLers and fringe NHLers is not talent. Its consistency and accepting a role.

The average NHL fan cant even tell that apart in their games. So im not surprised many are blaming coaching or the organization.

Sleepy would come out and have 1 good game in every 10. He would have 3 good shifts in 15.

He had all the chance in the world the last couple years and he proved to be a fringe NHLer.

Anything to slag the organization though.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He won't be a great loss, but I don't know how anyone can be happy with how he was used.

Why even trade for a guy like Aberg when you have a very similar player that you're just counting down the days to kick to the curb? This is the exact type of player this team needs. Young, cost-controlled winger that can shoot and muck in the corners a bit.

It's not like he showed no signs of being able to play with talent either. Both McDavid and RNH had their second highest 5v5 P/60 with Slepyshev.
I don't have a problem with giving Aberg an opportunity. A skilled young forward with upside who has showed flashes of brilliance despite consistency issues. I have a problem with giving players like Lucic playtime despite them constantly sucking a big one game in game out.
The difference between NHLers and fringe NHLers is not talent. Its consistency and accepting a role.

The average NHL fan cant even tell that apart in their games. So im not surprised many are blaming coaching or the organization.

Sleepy would come out and have 1 good game in every 10. He would have 3 good shifts in 15.

He had all the chance in the world the last couple years and he proved to be a fringe NHLer.

Strange comments to be making considering you're one of the biggest Lucic supporters on this board. That guy has not accepted his role whatsoever, has less fights than freaking JJ Khaira, and constantly gets juicy top 6 minutes with players like McDavid/Draisaitl and is constantly used on the 1st power play unit (and one of the main reasons why it's so ****).

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't have a problem with giving Aberg an opportunity. A skilled young forward with upside who has showed flashes of brilliance despite consistency issues. I have a problem with giving players like Lucic playtime despite them constantly sucking a big one game in game out.

It really felt like any rational thought was thrown out the window to win a few more games and hopefully save his job or something.

Sure, "getting Lucic going" is important, but with this team's cap structure, cultivating cheap, young players with any talent should be a massive priority. It should be pretty clear that this team is going to struggle pretty hard financially if they don't stumble onto some Sheary, Guentzel, etc. type players.

I'm not saying Slepyshev was going to turn into a player of that quality, but with his usage, we'll probably never know.

Reactions: Aerrol

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Strange comments to be making considering you're one of the biggest Lucic supporters on this board. That guy has not accepted his role whatsoever, has less fights than freaking JJ Khaira, and constantly gets juicy top 6 minutes with players like McDavid/Draisaitl and is constantly used on the 1st power play unit (and one of the main reasons why it's so ****).

When your consistent for 10 years, you get the benefit of the doubt, but Lucic was horrendous after christmas. No excuses. I should of left out the role part, but people will pick that out, and use an example when its mixed in with consistency 50/50.

Young players get a chance, and if they dont take that ball and run with it they are out. Its the NHL.

Sleppy has been inconsistent his hole time here. By inconsistent I mean effort. 1 good game in every 10. 1 good shift in every 15.

These teams spend hours and hours of behind the scene, like video and training and spend millions on these players. You really think they want them to fail with that amount of effort into them?

Its not the Oilers fault hes going to go back home to Russia cause hes not good enough to be more then a fringe NHL'er even though they have tried their hardest to get him there. Oilers are prob thinking what a waste of time and money to try and develop a player that when the tough gets tough he picks up and goes home.

That right there isnt a true NHL'er.

Funny you mention JJ, theres a guy that has fought tooth and nail to become a consistent NHL'er.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Odd that anybody would slag fans for criticizing an organization that has unquestionably been one of the worst in North American professional sports for well over a decade. I suspect Slepyshev played some sort of a part in why he didn’t think things we’re working out for him here. At the same time I can’t blame anyone for thinking a team that constantly screws up has done it again.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Odd that anybody would slag fans for criticizing an organization that has unquestionably been one of the worst in North American professional sports for well over a decade. I suspect Slepyshev played some sort of a part in why he didn’t think things we’re working out for him here. At the same time I can’t blame anyone for thinking a team that constantly screws up has done it again.

Demand a trade then?!?!?

Or right hes not good enough like others that get treated unfairly to do so.

Pretty much answers that.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Demand a trade then?!?!?

Or right hes not good enough like others that get treated unfairly to do so.

Pretty much answers that.

Develop a prospect for once then?!!?

Or right it's the oilers and they've been consistently unable to do that for over a decade. We've under-developed 1st overall picks at a greater rate than the best organizations fail their first round picks. I'm consistently impressed than there are still fans here defending our development methods.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Develop a prospect for once then?!!?

Or right it's the oilers and they've been consistently unable to do that for over a decade. We've under-developed 1st overall picks at a greater rate than the best organizations fail their first round picks. I'm consistently impressed than there are still fans here defending our development methods.

Under developed 1st over picks?

You mean Yak? The guy that is heading back to Russia, after multiple teams, and chances to carve out a career.

Dam Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->