Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
1:07 of the 3rd highlight vid is an absolute beauty. What a rocket of a shot

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Playing in a pro league with very little TOI (like 10 mins). Its hard to produce

p/60 is a stat that can measure effectiveness, and slepyshevs p/60 is comparable to tarasenko and other top young KHL players. But I am hesistent to rely solely on that.

Either way, hes been captain on WJC, was a projected 1st round talent, first overall in KHL draft, and represented Russia at world events and tournies. Hes pretty highly regarded

Yeah, he's a tough one to really figure out. With such low ice time it could go any direction. Really looking forward to seeing what the Oilers have in him!

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would try and get Alex Sharov with the 4th rounder or later. He was also passed over.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah, he's a tough one to really figure out. With such low ice time it could go any direction. Really looking forward to seeing what the Oilers have in him!

AHL will be the ultimate tell. All we have now is obsecure and misleading KHL stats and highlight videos

But he does remind me of a Jeff carter type player

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
From my viewings of Slepyshev since we drafted him, from the WJHC to now, he's always struck me as someone with good hockey sense, a nose for the net with an ability to finish when set up, as well as someone who isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas to score.

On the other hand, he's never struck me as someone whose talent just leapt off the page, so to speak. He's not an end-to-end, take you out of your seat kind of player...or at least I've never seen him in that light.

In other words, like others are saying it's hard to say what kind of player he'll be if the Oilers can get him over to North America for a couple years. Hopefully we'll get a chance to find out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Barring Peter moving out a lot of our current one dimensional less than power forward/gritty type forwards. I don't see where this guy fits.

Maybe if he impresses in the AHL for a couple years and really developes well he might have a spot.

Seems like a long shot with who we currently have and what we currently need.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Barring Peter moving out a lot of our current one dimensional less than power forward/gritty type forwards. I don't see where this guy fits.

Maybe if he impresses in the AHL for a couple years and really developes well he might have a spot.

BP replacement if it all works out. Or scoring 3rd liner

Maybe even Eberle replacement if EVERYTHING goes right

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Would it be the worst thing in the world if he has a good showing in the AHL and we actually have depth? Not to mention increases his value as a trade chip come deadline. I understand he doesn't fit the current needs of our team, but I think we've been out of the playoffs so long people seemingly forgot the value of a deep prospect pool on trade deadline day. We might finally be on the other side of the ledger on deadline day, and this kid could be a valuable chip if he progresses on NA ice.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Oilers don't need a 2 way player with offensive skills?

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Was hoping the Oilers would draft him and was pretty pumped when they did. He's pretty raw and not a sure thing but I really hope the makes it in the NHL (hopefully for the Oilers).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He's got a solid 2 way game, so he'd likely be a fit for the 3rd line with Lander (if things work out)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree with others. He looks like he could be a good depth winger... and really the Oilers don't have many good quality wingers in the prospect pipeline currently... a few yes... but not many of high quality that you could see being pencilled into the top 9 in the near-ish future.

I don't like the idea of writing him off as "more of the same"... or as someone who won't be able to fit in on a deep forward roster on the CURRENT Oilers... because he's obviously not on the CURRENT Oilers roster yet... and likely won't be for at least 1-2 seasons. By then this team could look a lot different and the roster may be in need of a player like Slepyshev.

We really don't know what this team will be like next year... we hope it will be improved and a team looking like it could challenge for a wild card spot in the near future but that remains to be seen.

We also haven't seen how well Slepyshev will adapt to the North American game... or what type of player he will end up being under the North American style of game either.

So in short... too soon to know what he will be like once he hits NA... and much too soon to say the Oilers don't need this type of player as we really don't know yet just what the Oilers will need over the next few seasons.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He's got a solid 2 way game, so he'd likely be a fit for the 3rd line with Lander (if things work out)

I've only seen him play maybe once in a international tourney awhile ago and gotten third hand info on the guy. Thought he was more of a top 6 type than a bottom 6 type. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just if that is the case then with our current roster he will face a very uphill battle.

Pretty much any forward we bring in over the next few years will have to play a very heavy two way game to crack the roster.

Guys like Yakimov, Kharia, and maybe even Moroz IF they develop will have the inside track in the same time frame. Although if he plays the right side well that is certainly an advantage in our current group of prospects.

My lord, if half of these guys even take a small step forward next year the Condors are going to be an exciting team to watch. Leon, Nurse, Yak2, and Slepy. A stocked group of D-men, solid goaltending, and some serious talent with size for a group of forwards.

Excitement at every level of the organization and hopefully finally some success in the bigs.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I've only seen him play maybe once in a international tourney awhile ago and gotten third hand info on the guy. Thought he was more of a top 6 type than a bottom 6 type. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just if that is the case then with our current roster he will face a very uphill battle.

Pretty much any forward we bring in over the next few years will have to play a very heavy two way game to crack the roster.

Guys like Yakimov, Kharia, and maybe even Moroz IF they develop will have the inside track in the same time frame. Although if he plays the right side well that is certainly an advantage in our current group of prospects.

My lord, if half of these guys even take a small step forward next year the Condors are going to be an exciting team to watch. Leon, Nurse, Yak2, and Slepy. A stocked group of D-men, solid goaltending, and some serious talent with size for a group of forwards.

Excitement at every level of the organization and hopefully finally some success in the bigs.

Watching him in the WJC, he looks like a complimentary player in the top 6. Great give and go and an amazing shot, but doesn't push the pace whatsoever on his own.

From a very uninitiated viewing, he has all of the tools. Again, all of the tools. All of the tools to make it in the bigs if he's able to work and progress on his skills and work towards an NA game. That said, small/NA ice shouldn't be an issue.

I still wish we could get Hartikainen back. What a duo that would be in the AHL, and an amazing boost for his development.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Watching him in the WJC, he looks like a complimentary player in the top 6. Great give and go and an amazing shot, but doesn't push the pace whatsoever on his own.

From a very uninitiated viewing, he has all of the tools. Again, all of the tools. All of the tools to make it in the bigs if he's able to work and progress on his skills and work towards an NA game. That said, small/NA ice shouldn't be an issue.

I still wish we could get Hartikainen back. What a duo that would be in the AHL, and an amazing boost for his development.

Harti was a guy I gave up on a bit because he played completely different in the AHL to what he did in the NHL. Whether it was just a lack of speed at the NHL level or what, he just couldn't replicate his game in the bigs.

Seeing how night and day different Lander now looks in the NHL makes me think we gave up on him too soon, but really his NHL play didn't warrant keeping him around. While doing well, he hasn't exactly tore apart the KHL either enough to really worry about losing him either. KHL generally doesn't translate to the NHL all that well it seems.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I liked Harti as well... but I agree, he didn't seem to have NHL level skating/speed and didn't really seem to be able to make plays and contribute at the NHL level either... good ability to hold onto the puck in board battles but plays mostly died on his stick and he didn't really contribute in producing offensive chances even though he was strong on the puck.

It's possible he was on that same "slow burner" path as Lander... but I also think Harti likely wanted to play at the NHL level and not at the AHL level for 1-2 more years which is probably why the two sides parted ways as well.

It's easy to blame inept Oilers management for cutting loose Harti too soon... but Lander stuck around and paid his dues in the AHL and it looks like it's likely to pay off (although Oilers could have lost him on waivers as well)... whereas Harti chose to go back to Europe and now belongs to another NHL org.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
What we hear about him is good. The stat line is good for his age in the KHL. Him and Yakimov may make a great second line in Bakersfield next year.

Optimistic.

Going to the turn of the cenury.
All the .20+ GPG in 18 yr season Russia.
With best NHL season finish for goals
Kovalchuk #2
Semin #7
Kulemin #28
Ovechkin #1
Malkin #2
Kuznetsov ????
Tarasenko #5
Yakupov #28
Slepyshev
Yakimov.

My expectations for Slepyshev and Yakimov are a little higher!

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
My Russian friend who follows Slepyshev closely tells me not to bother expecting much out of him. He isn't tracking particularly well, and despite being underused on a really good team, with flashes of world class skills, he simply hasn't shown a lot at the KHL level.

He gives him 2 years in the AHL at the most, then likely back to Russia when the currency comes back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->