Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
In 2016-2017 he played 447 5 vs 5 minutes and was on the ice for 7 GA in total. Frankly I always thought it was his offense that was inconsistent. He was always pretty sound defensively.
You're probably right - it's just my memory is sketchy about Slepy (might be a song there). I do recall his speed and shot, as well as his willingness to play tough. No harm in seeing the new version this fall.

Edit: I'm liking how Holland is going about his business, leaving nothing to chance.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He was part of successful 2016-2017 season.

Much like Belov, Slepyshev played solid for the Oilers but didn't "shine". In both cases I felt their play deserved more opportunity/ice time/role than they got and NA players seemed to get priority.

I do believe in Slepy case McLellan is a big factor in preferring NA players to Russians. The Kovalchuk situation imo confirms a bias. In general McLellan is a stubborn coach that has clear favorites/preferences where results do not always drive usage.

Looking at Slepy stats it's hard to imagine he would be a "massive" upgrade to the team. Price/contract would be the biggest deterrent to him coming back to the Oilers. Unless he is content to sign for what his qualifying offer was I don't think he's a real possibility. I would have thought he could make more in Russia since he had success their.

With his size and skill set he would be a good addition to the team in practically any role but I'm skeptical this would work.

Is this his last year before hitting UFA status? If so he might sign as a show me type player with the thought process of hitting UFA asap.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The benefit to me for bringing him over is that for the first 20 games, hed probably be very motivated and you get a nice bump in production from him. Given that CKSA Moscow likely wins the KHL, hed be coming over later in the season/ playoffs. Could be a nice little energy injection for a playoff game or 2

But after, hes probably more of what we have already. He was a solid depth player with some skill, size and speed- but wasnt much more than a decent bottom 6er

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Let’s just keep bringing back re-treads. Sleepy won’t move the dial, why some keep looking to the past is baffling to me. I’m glad he’s gone and no way in hell do I want him back.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Let’s just keep bringing back re-treads. Sleepy won’t move the dial, why some keep looking to the past is baffling to me. I’m glad he’s gone and no way in hell do I want him back.
Obviously holland sees something he likes, and if he can get him at a good price, he's a great depth add.

This isn't the old management team recycling more players, it's a new management team that's been doing a pretty solid job so far, so you can understand why fans are willing to trust the GM more than random jaded posters on these forums.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Obviously holland sees something he likes, and if he can get him at a good price, he's a great depth add.

This isn't the old management team recycling more players, it's a new management team that's been doing a pretty solid job so far, so you can understand why fans are willing to trust the GM more than random jaded posters on these forums.
If he brings him back I’ll laugh. And if he stinks I’ll tell you I told you so. Re-treads, are you on the Hall bandwagon as well?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
If he brings him back I’ll laugh. And if he stinks I’ll tell you I told you so. Re-treads, are you on the Hall bandwagon as well?
We know you will, and if he does well, you'll keep your mouth shut until he makes a single mistake at which point you'll let us all know "I TOLD YOU HE WAS GONNA BE A MISTAKE".

I'm on the "trust the GM who managed to get Neal for lucic, and has our team sitting in first in the pacific during a write off year" bandwagon.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
We know you will, and if he does well, you'll keep your mouth shut until he makes a single mistake at which point you'll let us all know "I TOLD YOU HE WAS GONNA BE A MISTAKE".

I'm on the "trust the GM who managed to get Neal for lucic, and has our team sitting in first in the pacific during a write off year" bandwagon.
I trust in the GM but he also signed Khaira didn’t he. I think Sleepy had his chance, much like Khaira.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I trust in the GM but he also signed Khaira didn’t he. I think Sleepy had his chance, much like Khaira.
Khaira was signed for 2 years at an amount that can basically all be covered by sending him to the AHL if they decide it's necessary, and is one of our best pkers. He was coming off his second full season which was bad, but the one prior was good, so even though he's been my most hated player to watch this year, that was a good signing at the time. You won't find a gm in the league who would be willing to walk away from a player with khairas physical gifts for an amount that can be sent to the AHL, especially when it's only 2 years and then he's an RFA again. Letting him walk would have been an awful move.

Slepy didn't have his chance at all. He was incredibly underplayed, played exclusively with fourth liners with long stretches of being scratched, and outperformed khaira with less minutes at evens during the season that everyone became a khaira fan. Slepy was a classic example of a coach having a bias for some reason and not giving him a shot at much, despite him being perfectly capable of regular bottom 6 minutes when given a chance.

If you can get guys like that for around 1m caphit for short term, you go for it. Look at what Holland did this offseason with Archi, Sheahan, Nygard, and Haas. Not world beaters by any means, but good value signings that have really improved our bottom 6.

The fact that you think him signing khaira is reason enough to not trust what he's doing, despite where we are, and all the other moves he's made is laughable.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Khaira was signed for 2 years at an amount that can basically all be covered by sending him to the AHL if they decide it's necessary, and is one of our best pkers. He was coming off his second full season which was bad, but the one prior was good, so even though he's been my most hated player to watch this year, that was a good signing at the time. You won't find a gm in the league who would be willing to walk away from a player with khairas physical gifts for an amount that can be sent to the AHL, especially when it's only 2 years and then he's an RFA again. Letting him walk would have been an awful move.

Slepy didn't have his chance at all. He was incredibly underplayed, played exclusively with fourth liners with long stretches of being scratched, and outperformed khaira with less minutes at evens during the season that everyone became a khaira fan. Slepy was a classic example of a coach having a bias for some reason and not giving him a shot at much, despite him being perfectly capable of regular bottom 6 minutes when given a chance.

If you can get guys like that for around 1m caphit for short term, you go for it. Look at what Holland did this offseason with Archi, Sheahan, Nygard, and Haas. Not world beaters by any means, but good value signings that have really improved our bottom 6.

The fact that you think him signing khaira is reason enough to not trust what he's doing, despite where we are, and all the other moves he's made is laughable.
Sleepy’s ice time was reflective of his play. He couldn’t hit the net, ever.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

This seems petty. Our forward crew is still so thin that all options are clearly on the table. Who cares if Shlep had a cup of coffee with with other coaches and failed. Bringing him back if it happens is one of the lowest risk moves that Holland could make

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
This seems petty. Our forward crew is still so thin that all options are clearly on the table. Who cares if Shlep had a cup of coffee with with other coaches and failed. Bringing him back if it happens is one of the lowest risk moves that Holland could make
The guy had 6 goals one year and people are clamouring for him back. If we can’t find someone better than that then what’s the point?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Sleepy’s ice time was reflective of his play. He couldn’t hit the net, ever.
Of course, just like Lucic rocking a 6.8% in shooting percentage was given 82 games of 16 minutes a night on average.
or Aberg who played 14:38 a game rocking a 6.5 s% his short stint here.
or Auvitu rocking a 4.3 s% playing 13:33 a game for his stint here
or cammalleri playing 14:06 a game despite his 3.8 s%.
or Jokinen playing 12:19 a game rocking a 0%.

Slepyshev saw the least amount of icetime per game (11:49) outside of Pakarinen and Kassian for players who played more than 7 games with us his last season here, despite being at least average in just about every way. He was not given a fair shake by the coach, and you saying he can't hit the net as a reason for that is a joke. It'd be one thing if he was getting set up left and right and never finishing, but his shots were usually low percentage plays to got for a rebound or a shot from far hoping it would go in, because that's what happens when your fourth line consists of nobodies. The fact that he got any goals on that line with that kind of usage is impressive.

Reactions: Aerchon

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Of course, just like Lucic rocking a 6.8% in shooting percentage was given 82 games of 16 minutes a night on average.
or Aberg who played 14:38 a game rocking a 6.5 s% his short stint here.
or Auvitu rocking a 4.3 s% playing 13:33 a game for his stint here
or cammalleri playing 14:06 a game despite his 3.8 s%.
or Jokinen playing 12:19 a game rocking a 0%.

Slepyshev saw the least amount of icetime per game (10:41) outside of Pakarinen and Kassian for players who played more than 7 games with us his last season here, despite being at least average in just about every way. He was not given a fair shake by the coach, and you saying he can't hit the net as a reason for that is a joke. It'd be one thing if he was getting set up left and right and never finishing, but his shots were usually low percentage plays to got for a rebound or a shot from far hoping it would go in, because that's what happens when your fourth line consists of nobodies. The fact that he got any goals on that line with that kind of usage is impressive.
Do you want any of those guys back? Probably not.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Do you want any of those guys back? Probably not.
You said his lack of icetime was due to his inability to hit the net, and I gave you multiple examples that show that clearly isn't the case. Solid effort of changing the goalposts though.

Slepy would be more bottom 6 competition, likely at right around 1m/year, who has NHL experience. Can't go wrong with a signing like that.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You said his lack of icetime was due to his inability to hit the net, and I gave you multiple examples that show that clearly isn't the case. Solid effort of changing the goalposts though.

Slepy would be more bottom 6 competition, likely at right around 1m/year, who has NHL experience. Can't go wrong with a signing like that.
It’s still a re-tread to me, I’d pass. My memory is of him missing the net, often.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Slepy is having a great season when he came to us the first time he had 0.43 Pts per game, right now he's sporting a 0.78 Pts per game and he's really heating up on the back half of the season. I like him better than Nygard and could see him holding down a spot on the 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad